Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

MIDI software

Gez said:

If Chocolate Doom doesn't play a MIDI, then it is either a bug (it should be able to play it) or it's because your MIDI is too complex to be converted to MUS format anyway.

What makes a midi too complex? I have like 6 channels including drums. Are there certain instruments I can't use? or can I not have so many channels?

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

What makes a midi too complex? I have like 6 channels including drums. Are there certain instruments I can't use? or can I not have so many channels?

Take a look at this page: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_music regarding the complexity of your song, especially in the last section ("MUS format"). Try splitting the notes among your other channels if you have one channel playing more than one note at the same time.

Defsan said:

Take a look at this page: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_music regarding the complexity of your song, especially in the last section ("MUS format"). Try splitting the notes among your other channels if you have one channel playing more than one note at the same time.

Well, I have Doom95... so it says it doesn't play Midis... but to convert to Mus I have to move my drums to channel nine it looks like. I also need to remove chords in my other song.

So is the Doom95 WAD different from the DOS doom WAD? Or is my problem because drums are on channel 10? I'll be home in like an hour so I'll try different combinations of stuff

WAD files contain game data. Doom 95 is a port, so what's different is the exe.

Also you shouldn't use Doom 95 anymore, really. I'd suggest getting a better source port such as Chocolate Doom, Eternity, PrBoom+, or ZDoom instead.

I think that the only reason for you to want to go full vanilla with Doom95 or DOS emulation via DOSBox is for nostalgia only. If you to maintain the vanilla feel, limitations and gameplay, chances are you're probably going to like Chocolate Doom or Doom Retro.

Gez said:

WAD files contain game data. Doom 95 is a port, so what's different is the exe.

Also you shouldn't use Doom 95 anymore, really. I'd suggest getting a better source port such as Chocolate Doom, Eternity, PrBoom+, or ZDoom instead.

If you looked up a few posts you would see I'm using Chocolate Doom. I was just asking if the Doom95 WAD was different because that is where I got my WAD from all those years ago

You don't need compatibility with Doom 95 port. It's bad, outdated, and contrarily to every other port AND vanilla Doom itself, Doom 95 doesn't play MIDIs. Again - every other port plays MIDIs fine, even vanilla does. So, you don't even need to convert any MIDI to MUS. However, note that the MIDI file shouldn't be larger than 64 KB, in order to be accepted by vanilla/Chocolate.

The data file should be identical to the DOS version (one of them, anyway) and in any case no differences in it would explain a different behavior wrt. custom music.

Sorry I must have said something badly because I never mentioned compatibility with Doom95, I meant that is where I got my Doom WAD from, the 95 CD. I want the MIDI to work with Chocolate Doom and it won't play my MIDI. Then I realized that I was using chords in my song so I wrote a simple one and tried it. I named it D_RUNNIN and when I started the game it didn't crash but no music played. What am I doing wrong?

This is the simple song I wrote for the example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoqhfdr3yuaysst/d_runnin.mid?dl=0

Just out of curiosity, are you using Doom 1 or Doom 2? Because if you're using Doom 1, you have to rename the MIDI to D_E1M1; D_RUNNIN is for the first level of Doom 2, not 1. Other than that I see nothing wrong, assuming you're playing each note of the power chords in a separate channel.
Maybe your A is too low and Chocolate Doom doesn't support it? Try moving everything up an octave. And make sure the extension is .midi rather than .mid (unlikely, but we never know).

EDIT: I just made this and it worked: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rff80t91wa2lbv1/D_RUNNIN.mid?dl=0
I opened SLADE, created a new empty wad, added the song to it, saved it, and loaded Chocolate Doom with the Doom 2 IWAD.

I'm using XWE do you think that is the problem? Also did you keep it as a midi or change it to MUS?

BTW: That song was amazing haha

EDIT: What MIDI software are you using? I tried using Slade to import and again the music did not play, I also changed the pitch to normal.

I just tried importing your song to an empty WAD and it worked. Its volume was very low, though, so try bumping up the music volume in-game to see if that's the problem.

Are you serious? How are you getting this to work? I turned up my speakers and the music volume and I still don't hear the music... It works when I use ZDoom and everything. Do I have to -merge my wad in the bat file for chocolate doom?

Spoiler

That's all I did. Using ZDL I can load them from different folders and it still works.

Thanks for all the help DefSan! I found the stupid fucking problem.... I had an old version of Chocolate Doom! That was the problem, I downloaded the latest version and it played although it was quiet as you mentioned

I'm settling into Sekaiju pretty well, having a couple of in-game playback issues though; here's a midi I'm working on.

Notably, after the guitar solo, the midi jumps certain beats, and my brass patch keeps going out of tune. I'm assuming this has something to do with my pitchbends being set up wrong, but I don't know what error I'm making.

EDIT: figured out the pitchbends, but the beat skipping still persists. Weird.