Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Any direct3d/directx source ports?

I somehow got proprietary 3dtv software working on gzdoom once, but it's very flaky. Maps with a lot of height variance and 3d architecture look incredible, when it works. Do any ports work with direct3d? I thought risen3d was meant to, maybe that's only directx 8 (which isn't supported by said software). I've tried a wrapper where you put a hacked opengl32.dll into the gzdoom directly, but it spits out an error saying you need opengl 1.2 support to be able to use it.

EDIT: Zandronum v2 just started randomly working which is strange, as the only 3d software installed works only with direct3d9 and above.

Dafuq is going on in this thread. Zandronum is a fork of GZDoom so it's software/opengl and Zdaemon is a fork of ZDoom so it's software only.

Or am I missing something?

VGA said:

Dafuq is going on in this thread. Zandronum is a fork of GZDoom so it's software/opengl and Zdaemon is a fork of ZDoom so it's software only.

Or am I missing something?

You sir are correct , except that ZDaemon requires D3D somehow idk, Had an error before with it (for 4 times at least) i don't remember how it happened , but it wrote something about D3D Device .

Direct3D and OpenGL are not just for rendering scenes, they are also for displaying the rendered scene on the screen (or in a window).

That's why you have Chocolate Doom using OpenGL. Don't worry, the renderer is still pure software.

ZDoom use Direct3D to display, but not to render the game world. GZDoom uses OpenGL for everything.

Hmm, OK but for ports that use DirectX for the display only, you can't use 3rd-party 3D enhancements because they don't have the geometry information, correct? You'd have to use a gfx API wrapper.

Doom Legacy still has Direct draw port code.

I tried to verify that it still works about 9 months ago, but was stymied by some Direct Draw error. The error is rather strange, like the Direct Draw call is not constructed right. I think this is due to my MinGW headers package, and I have not gotten further.

If you can compile, and if you have good Direct Draw headers, it may work for you.

Enable WIN32 and WIN_NATIVE options to get direct draw code.

In a few days I will be updating the whole Makefile setup in the source code. This should make compiling easier. You may want to wait a few days, and get code from SVN instead of the download packages.

wesleyjohnson said:

Doom Legacy still has Direct draw port code.

I dont think that's what's being asked about.

Gez said:

Direct3D and OpenGL are not just for rendering scenes, they are also for displaying the rendered scene on the screen (or in a window).

Actually pure OpenGL does not have any window management, setting resolutions, etc..

That is handled by WGL on Windows, GLX on Linux, etc, and there is the new(ish) EGL standard is a more cross-platform method and seems to becoming "the" way these days.