Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomedout

Ways in which D3 can scare the living sh*** out of you?

I just have this deep seated desire to experience the zenith, the critical magnitude of fear. Running aimlessly in dark halls while being pursued by an ominous dark entity and being able to hear its LARGE thuds impacting every intricate detail which manifests the potency of the games supreme physics engine. I want to feel thhe ground tremble and hear screams bouncing off the tangible obstacles in the atmosphere as i run and run and run and run and run and run and run into the void. there should be a mission like that..u know finding an exit while being chased by the most frightning and powerful demons armed only with your superior wit(no guns!!!)

jeez, that'd cut off my guts. if it's anyhow related and has the classical atmosphere from previous dooms, it's enough.

doomedout said:

there should be a mission like that..u know finding an exit while being chased by the most frightning and powerful demons armed only with your superior wit(no guns!!!)

That sounds boring as Hell - at least to some of us.
I for one don't want to just flee (I want to FACE my fears), I want to kill and slaughter, kill and slaughter and give those demons some well-deserved payback.

I can't imagine something being more of a waste of time than a level in which you're just fleeing without the opportunity to kill something, and I usually HATE levels where you just have to rush through it as quickly as possible - I want to explore the high-quality environment which the id guys have put so much work into.

What about running in almost total darkness? Then you won't have to stop to look at the pretty environments =)

Fredrik said:

What about running in almost total darkness? Then you won't have to stop to look at the pretty environments =)

I'd still hate it - like I said above, I hate to be in a hurry. I want to take my time and first and foremost: I want to FACE my fears - not run away from them.

Fredrik said:

Well you're an insane mass murderer =)

No, I just love to kill the servants of the true evil and give them a taste of what they're responisible for :-)
Besides, it's fun as Hell.

Maybe he means that in the end of the level you meet a demon that is unstopable. That doesn't mean that you can't explore the enviroment and the nice graphics and kill monsters in the begining of the level :)

Fredrik said:

Well you're an insane mass murderer =)

Huh? dsm's talking about Doom here! The game that has been the bain of all Christian mother's across middle America!
What would be cool is to have certain objectives like E1M2 (the end bit) where you're in almost complete darkness with a barrage of deadly demons and zombie guards. Back in '94 when I first played that level I was metaphorically sh*tting my pants! I hope that in 2003/2004 I'll be doing the same but with high definition/resolution and instead of cardboard cut-outs to contend with, I've got to battle fully animated polygonal nightmares.

dsm said:

No, I just love to kill the servants of the true evil and give them a taste of what they're responisible for :-)
Besides, it's fun as Hell.

Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give that to them young DSM? Do not be so quick to serve out justice to that which you do not fully understand. My heart tells me that Hellspawn still has an important role to play - for good or for evil.

Fredrik said:

Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give that to them young DSM? Do not be so quick to serve out justice to that which you do not fully understand. My heart tells me that Hellspawn still has an important role to play - for good or for evil.

Boy, you sure don't know how to enjoy a game :-)
That which is truly dead (read: Neutralized), cannot cause more harm.

And who are you calling young??
I'm older than you, BOY ;-)

if theres anything that can keep id alive and kicking, its the transition from the conventional boring fps to a game with an immersive and concrete storyline. So to have a break away from "exploring the banal doom3 environments which will get boring if they are repeated in every mission" is for the better although environment reconfigures the whole new doom appeal. This will also allow id to tap into and alleviate its degenerated market, now that the market has been downsized because doom3 needs powerful pc's and top of the line 3d cards to exploit on the frates, and that the game content is for Mature players only.

Heh, running about in nearly complete darkness with a demon more powerful than the Cyber or Spider Mastermind ever thought about being, frantically looking for an exit-sounds like insane fun to me. Besides, it would be a break from the "kill everything you see" plot of other levels. And it would probably be more intense than the other levels too.

DooMBoy said:

Heh, running about in nearly complete darkness with a demon more powerful than the Cyber or Spider Mastermind ever thought about being, frantically looking for an exit-sounds like insane fun to me. Besides, it would be a break from the "kill everything you see" plot of other levels. And it would probably be more intense than the other levels too.

I agree with this SCBC.

i wanna two sea an imp that is green but shooten a fireaball that si blue and flyen double ass fast

yeah and what can be more rad than running your ass off and actually hearing the heros heart thud LOULDY, coinciding with the other atmospheric sounds....would add a great suspensful beat to the music. btw..anybody play max payne??? and if you have, does anyone recall the part where payne was following a narrow trail of blood all the while we could hear his dead baby and wife were crying at the same time...(great scary echoes and screams)and then all of a sudden you hear this man SCREAMING at the top of his lungs?? FU***ING SCAAAAAAAAARY MAN...I swear to god i shit my pants. they should execute this same kind of fear inducing aspect in doom3....the psychological fear...oh...yeah, how would the hero replenish his health????? and i wonder if the doom character actually will talk in the middle of combat or scream or something. that would be tight

DooMBoy said:

Heck no, there's a reason why I hate playing in nightmare - all this "reach-the-exit-as-quickly-as-possible" drove me half insane (I probably haven't completely recovered yet).
I don't want to be forced to go through that kind of shit in Doom 3 (firstly, it would detract futher from the Doom feel, and secondly, it's not FUN imo).
Go play Doom in nightmare if you want that stuff.

DooMBoy said:

Besides, it would be a break from the "kill everything you see" plot of other levels. A

That is NOT the plot of DOOM III.

Fredrik said:

In fact, it is.

then you haven't read up. They are implementing a plot for a change.

Fredrik said:

Dsm, I thought you liked Nightmare!. Respawning monsters = more massacre.

It's not enjoyable in nightmare because the critters you kill don't STAY dead - takes out the purpose (and fun) of killing them imho.

Shaviro said:

They are implementing a plot for a change.

That will probably be a minor distraction - it shouldn't get in the way of some good carnage.

Well, sounds like a good idea, IF you have to run through half the map with a bigass monster following you and then find a gun that's big enough to take him out and then have him drop a key you need to get on :)