Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

single-player maps in the style of "push"?

What style? That wad features very different maps in various styles, what do you think unites them? It's hard to understand what you want here.

Memfis said:

What style? That wad features very different maps in various styles, what do you think unites them? It's hard to understand what you want here.

Some of them use colours and architecture that aren't very doom-like at all, others use doom-styled architecture that's more showcasing what zdoom can do (obviously it's this way because of the gameplay style). I guess I'm looking for wads that aren't techbase, aren't based in hell, etc - wads that have traditional gameplay without being set in traditional-themed levels. "This doesn't look like doom, but it sure plays like it" kind of thing.

invictius said:

I love the architecture of the maps, but it doesn't seem to be played much online anymore.

Are you sure? According to the server log, there's been people on the server every day. In fact, I just alt-tabbed over and there's people on it right now.

...That being said, yeah, there's not really a single cohesive "style" that unites the Push maps. Some of them have Doom architecture, some of them don't, some of them have bright colors, others stick to the Doom palette.
If anything, the single major feature that unites them all is that they're a big circular/square arena over an instant-kill pit. And that would probably be terrible for singleplayer. :p

I wouldn't mind a single-player map where you have to push enemy monsters away (the best part of Hexen is when you have a large supply of discs of repulsion, and there are centaurs just next to a bottomless chasm, it's really the one thing that justify this game's existence) but the map layout it'd demand so as to be interesting would be very different from a multiplayer layout.

If you want Doom maps that don't look like Doom, try Pirate Doom! Or Adventures of Square.

How about maps that aren't as large and open as Push, but around the same size as maps in today's FPS's? (ugh). Linearity optional.