Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNerdTurtle2

Chocolate Doom Map has mirroring issues, help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnsoaor08tvdfxs/nerdturtlehelp.zip?dl=0

This ^ is the file. When you step outside on this map there are mirroring problems that sometimes even crash the game.. I have no idea how to fix it so if someone could help I would greatly appreciate it. This issue is only present while running on Chocolate Doom I think but I want 100% compatibility so I want to fix it rather than switch source ports.

To get outside there is a door immediately behind you.

THANKS A LOT!!

I haven't downloaded the map yet, but my first guess are multipatch middle textures on 2-sided lines. They crash vanilla and Chocolate Doom when you get to see them in the game.

The reason for these "mirroring problems" is that basically DOOM2.EXE has a limit on how much stuff can be visible at one moment. Chocolate Doom inherits this behavior because it strives to stay true to classic Doom. This is the Number 1 reason why I absolutely don't recommend making projects for Chocolate Doom, at least not without a lot of experience in mapping. You'll find this limitation way too painful to get around, you'll have to simplify your areas just because the original engine can't handle their awesomeness. Do you really want to struggle like that?

Only a very tiny minority of doomers refuse to use modern ports, most people will be fine with having to use prboom or something like that to play your wad.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Static_limits

I thought you knew of these. These are vanilla limits that also apply to Chocolate Doom (Chocolate Doom is not a limit-removing port). They limit the maximum number of objects in the map / on the scene: Maximum visplane count 128, maximum drawseg count 256, etc. I can recommend you to use Visplane Explorer plugin for Doom Builder 2 / GZDoom Builder to view visplanes/drawsegs while editing the map, and get a port Chocorenderlimits which will allow you to see visplane and drawseg counts during runtime.

Dragonsbrethren said:

All I'm seeing is a dragsegs overflow, nothing that would cause a crash. The map doesn't seem to come anywhere close to the visplane limit.

My game crashes when I view the mirroring and turn really quickly in a different direction....

scifista42 said:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Static_limits

I thought you knew of these. These are vanilla limits that also apply to Chocolate Doom (Chocolate Doom is not a limit-removing port). They limit the maximum number of objects in the map / on the scene: Maximum visplane count 128, maximum drawseg count 256, etc. I can recommend you to use Visplane Explorer plugin for Doom Builder 2 / GZDoom Builder to view visplanes/drawsegs while editing the map, and get a port Chocorenderlimits which will allow you to see visplane and drawseg counts during runtime.

Okay I'll search for the plugin and see if I can fix the problem

Making the walls of your building one-sided lines will drastically drop the seg count. Why are they set up as zero-height sectors right now? Do you need them to be that way?

I downloaded the map and took a look around. The problem is that 2-sided lines have been used for all the solid walls of the building. Use 1-sided lines (i.e. pillars with only void inside them, rather than having a sector inside) for solid walls. You can do this by selecting the wall sectors and pressing delete.

edit: Beat me to it!

THANKS SO MUCH!!! I was really about to give up but that fixed it all up. I don't know why I moved the ceilings and floors instead of just deleting the sectors haha