Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

A recent interview with Romero (but this time about Quake)

Quakeone.com did a community Q&A session with John Romero. For all the Quake fans out there I encourage you to take a look at it.

I found it surprising that Romero had said he wouldn't have done any sequels of the series past "Quake II". He always was a big fan of deathmatch, so that was unexpected.

The whole thing is here:

http://quakeone.com/news/site-news/11486-community-q-john-romero.html

EDIT:

Some bits you might find interesting:

Question: "I heard through the grapevine you are working on a new first person shooter game,I was curious as to if Quake would be having an influence of sorts on this game?" (...)
Answer: "Both Quake and DOOM are heavy influences on my new shooter’s design."

Question: "Would you ever consider utilizing the Quakeone.com community as beta testers for you're next or future projects?"
Answer: "Yes, I probably would, as well as doomworld.com"

The parts about the game design were really interesting. Im looking forward to see what he is working on now.

Question: "Would you ever consider utilizing the Quakeone.com community as beta testers for you're next or future projects?"
Answer: "Yes, I probably would, as well as doomworld.com"

fun incoming

This is great, but hasn't he promised a shooter for a few years now? I have absolute faith in our founding father, but I just hope it turns out to be good (i.e. no hype, just a surprise super-reveal).

At least he seems to have faith in the fans. I really hope we hear more about his project within the upcoming year or so. Anything, even. Like, concept art would be fine.

Piper Maru said:

John Romero can you regroup with the old fellas from id software and make a Quake game in the style of the first? Thanks.

The first Quake turned out not how he wanted it, so I doubt he'd gladly make another game "in this style".

The only thing good about the original game was the atmosphere (graphics, sound, overall design). The gameplay was mediocre. Rather boring enemies and guns, the opposite of Doom.

It's as if they only spent the last 3 months on the game's design and created a barebones game around a new engine :-D

VGA said:

The only thing good about the original game was the atmosphere (graphics, sound, overall design). The gameplay was mediocre. Rather boring enemies and guns, the opposite of Doom.

It's as if they only spent the last 3 months on the game's design and created a barebones game around a new engine :-D

i disagree. gameplay-wise i find it to be very enjoyable and the single-player episodes hold up a lot better than the Doom episodes and most of Doom 2 does. a lot more fun to play than the sequel, IMO.

VGA said:

You should tell them that. :)

VGA said:

That's kinda how it was. It's one of those "success by accident" games.

Quake 1's multiplayer was more than enough to make up for single-player which wasn't bad, but wasn't innovative either.

Doomhuntress said:

i disagree. gameplay-wise i find it to be very enjoyable and the single-player episodes hold up a lot better than the Doom episodes and most of Doom 2 does. a lot more fun to play than the sequel, IMO.

I like Quake's episodes, love its art direction and atmosphere, but I still totally disagree with that assessment about it holding up better than Doom. Doom and Doom 2 are much more fun, with more fun enemies. (I guess that's why I frequent this place and not func_msgboard.)

I agree about Quake 2, though.

Quake has a unique feel to its combat, it's very fast and aggressive. Doom is also fast, but in a different way. Nothing in it compares to "fiend dancing".

Dragonsbrethren said:

I like Quake's episodes, love its art direction and atmosphere, but I still totally disagree with that assessment about it holding up better than Doom. Doom and Doom 2 are much more fun, with more fun enemies. (I guess that's why I frequent this place and not func_msgboard.)

I agree about Quake 2, though.

maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but when i played through Quake for the first time on Hard last year, i cannot remember the last time i played an FPS so full of intensity and atmosphere. Doom 2's just way too uneven in that part, while Quake's episodes have much more coherent design-choices in its episodes. maybe it being better than the first Doom is giving it too much credit, though, and maybe it's unwise to compare the two because of them being two wholly different beasts.

Quake 2 is a giant case of rose-tinted glasses vision, at any rate. i remember it being fun as heck back then, but it hasn't aged well at all. it's not very fun to play at all. the saving grace is the music, which still holds up today.

Doomhuntress said:

Quake 2 is a giant case of rose-tinted glasses vision, at any rate. i remember it being fun as heck back then, but it hasn't aged well at all. it's not very fun to play at all. the saving grace is the music, which still holds up today.

Exactly, I used to think it was amazing and it was fun. But idk nowadays. The music is great and plays well to other twitch-based shooters.

I still find Quake 2 overly more enjoyable than Quake 1. Q2 had a proper boss unlike Q1's shitty Shub Niggurath which was an even worse boss than Doom 2's IoS, even Q2's weapons were much more enjoyable to use and had far more variety than Q1's weapons which were samey with lesser and greater versions of each weapon sharing the same ammo such as the shotguns, nailguns and launchers, Q1's only powerful weapon the lightning gun was very underwhelming compared to Q2's railgun and BFG10K.

Final boss is just one map. It can't redeem an underwhelming game, and it can't spoil a good game that much, especially when you take custom levels into consideration.

As for the weapons, Q2 feels a little like Heretic. Most of the enemies have a lot of HP, but can't do much against you, so the action is more grindy than dynamic.

Clonehunter said:

Quake had a better Rocket Launcher.

This. Quake 1 has a Rocket Launcher that is very effective against enemies and for rocket jumping, in my opinion the best RL of all Quake games.
And not only that, i find Quake's RL much better than Doom's.

Da Werecat said:

As for the weapons, Q2 feels a little like Heretic. Most of the enemies have a lot of HP, but can't do much against you, so the action is more grindy than dynamic.

Yeah, but i find Q2's weaps to be a bit sluggish, i think they should have a rof buff by a little, specially the Sg, cuz' to me, the Ssg is faster to reload than Sg, even through it fires 12 pellets(i fired to a wall and counted the pellet hits.

Avoozl said:

Q2 had a proper boss unlike Q1's shitty Shub Niggurath which was an even worse boss than Doom 2's IoS

Makron is a pushover that can't do shit against you if you have a Quad Damage and Invulnerability rune going against him. they're both terrible boss-fights, the difference being that with Q2's mediocre gameplay i kind of expected that to happen, while Shub-Niggurath doesn't drag down the rest of the game with it because it's so terrible.