Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Silent Hills is dead

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/04/27/konami-confirms-silent-hills-cancelation-but-series-still-alive.aspx?utm_content=buffer5cee2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"P.T. is being pulled from the PS store since it was created as a playable teaser for 'Silent Hills', but the distribution period and license usage within the demo have both now expired," a company representative told us via email. "Also, in response to what Del Toro said during the Q&A, Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic 'Silent Hills' project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued."

RIP survival horror 1989 - 2015

Mr. Freeze said:

RIP survival horror 1989 - 2015

Buy yourself a Wii U ;)

Bizerta: Silent Evil (2015), Fatal Frame V (2015), Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities (2015), Master Reboot (2014), Resident Evil: Revelations (2013), Zombi U (2012)

DaniJ said:

Buy yourself a Wii U ;)

I did, wish I didn't. Can't wait to sell it

Well that makes sense then :p Its a good system with some amazing games IMO.

While I played and liked Silent Hill 3 and The Room, I still feel that the series peaked with Silent Hill 2. I was looking forward to Silent Hills tell Kojima left. I really wanted to see what del Toro and Kojima would come up with. After he left, I pretty much lost interest.

I'm so excited for the new Fatal Frame. Those games scared the shit out of my asshole for years. Time to buy a WiiU =)

This gay earth, I declare it to be fucked.

I'm one of the 12 people on earth who loved The Room and hated the westernization of the rest of the installments. This was pretty much what SH needed, back on proper home turf with some talented individuals to make it good again. Nevermore.

Yeah. SH4 was the last "true" Silent Hill for me. SH2 was clearly the best...the third game not so much, but ya...they need to stop dicking around.

Personally I think Konami is about to go under, and have been for awhile, hence the external hiring of other developers for the last couple of years. A first-rate developer doesn't suddenly become a publisher for one of their most popular series out of nowhere...

Mr. Freeze said:

I did, wish I didn't. Can't wait to sell it

It's as if none of the consoles have any games worth a damn this generation. XBone and PS4 both: Take away the FPSes and the JRPGs , EA Sports games and Ubisoft trash, you wind up with a system with so little to offer that it's despicable. Ooh, mobile game ports! Is that a defender clone? And a PC port! I saw *that* game on Steam, and it's exactly the same but with a 200% markup!

And revamped "retro" clones of NES games. Why not just get a Wii U with Mario Kart, invite some buddies over, grab a beer, and ditch that other bullshit? Use a PC to play anything else worth playing, because FPSes suck nards on a floaty analog controller.

Anyway...Konami killed the only reason I wanted a PS4. And they were the guys who made Life Force. How do you go from making that masterpiece to being a total turd that no developer wants to associate with?

Capcom and Konami both are competing in the race to the bottom. Good riddance.

And I who thought it was about stuff being dead.

Maes said:

And I who thought it was about stuff being dead.

If you look at Konami's stock, it's quite silent. It's no hill though; more like a cliff. ;-)

This is depressing news, I was really looking forward to a Silent Hill game with Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro, but it was not meant to be. What's going to be canceled next, Doom 4?

Cyanosis said:

I'm one of the 12 people on earth who loved The Room and hated the westernization of the rest of the installments.

They were always westernized, that's what made them interesting; seeing America through Japan's eyes.

Also, what was the last think Kojimi wrote that wasn't completely fucking stupid.

Piper Maru said:

This is depressing news, I was really looking forward to a Silent Hill game with Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro, but it was not meant to be. What's going to be canceled next, Doom 4?

Don't jinx it damn it!

I've been reading a lot of people think Konami will be bankrupt... like all Japanese companies are somehow going bankrupt all at once.

geo said:

I've been reading a lot of people think Konami will be bankrupt... like all Japanese companies are somehow going bankrupt all at once.

As I understand it, Konami (like many other eastern devs) is focusing on Pachinko machines and mobile games. Get ready for Book of Memories 2!

I was really looking forward to that game...and this is coming from a guy who doesn't care nor never played a Silent Hill game.

Csonicgo said:

..And they were the guys who made Life Force. How do you go from making that masterpiece to being a total turd that no developer wants to associate with?

Last traditional shmup game they made was Otomedius Excellent for the Xbox 360 which I thought was a great Gradius spinoff/parody game. Really wish Konami make a freaking Gradius 6 game or hell another traditional Castleva...oh wait never mind IGA is no longer with Konami :(

EDIT: Ironically my imported copy of Salamander Portable for the PSP just came in the mail the morning of the official cancellation of Silent Hills.

https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11150382_945688935464192_7531596584732991711_n.jpg?oh=b8b7a9e6f4f703d1932dcb0c4a68e4eb&oe=55E58612

Well that's a shame. I didn't play the PT because I don't own a PS4, but it looked pretty fucking excellent. It seemed like a return to form for the Silent Hill series.

This game is dead, but at least there'll be a fourth Five Nights At Freddy's!

Anyone?

Anyone?

Nice of Konami to rapid-fire kill off all of the franchises that give them money in the middle of a financial crisis.

Movie franchise still lives on right?

I've never played any Silent Hill.

To be fair, this thread needs no more comments after Sys's pic, which deserves some kind of award, but after gasping in horror at the abomination of The Room (you don't leave your room because someone wrote don't go out on the door, but you repeatedly crawl into the dark, buzzing hole in your wall which leads to a nightmare dimension because SILENT HILL), and failing to get past the first five minutes of the second Silent Hill film, it grieves me not that this new game was shit-canned, and this is indeed the longest single sentence I've ever written.

Chu said:

Personally I think Konami is about to go under, and have been for awhile, hence the external hiring of other developers for the last couple of years. A first-rate developer doesn't suddenly become a publisher for one of their most popular series out of nowhere...

Yea, once they started publishing more games than they where developing it really made me think they where struggling to stay afloat. Epically when their biggest titles where being developed by 3rd party developers.

Really though, Silent Hill stopped being Silent Hill once Silent Hill 3 was released. Simply due to the fact that Silent Hill 3 was the last game that was developed by the majority of the original members of Team Silent. During and after Silent Hill 3's development their was a pretty big exodus from the team and a lot of the core members moved on to new things. I think most of the original Team Silent have left Konami at this point.