Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SYS

Steam Broadcast

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6730-TOAK-6497&l=english#14

Looks like Valve is taking Sony's PS4 route with it's new broadcasting feature. Unlike PS4 you can't save a copy of the footage or directly upload it to a preferred social whoring platform of your choice. That doesn't stop Valve from saving a copy of your broadcast on their server in case it's reported to Valve police for abuse.

Broadcasting is disabled by default and has a nice array of privacy settings. It's neat being able to watch people play games you haven't bought with the added bonus of bypassing worthless YT personalities. Unless they have their microphone turned on and their really derping. But even then, that can actually be more amusing lol.

I've been using it for a while. They're trying to make Youtube and Twitch obsolete for PC gaming and keep everything on their site. It makes sense. They're even bringing Youtubers to Steam as curators. No one needs a Youtube review when Steam's recommended or not recommended tells you if a game is good or not.

It's a shame you can't post to Youtube or something. That seems like a very basic feature that should be available. Of course, I fully understand Valve wanting to have total control over the content, but it'd be so much easier to share if you could make the video available on Youtube.

geo said:

I've been using it for a while. They're trying to make Youtube and Twitch obsolete for PC gaming and keep everything on their site. It makes sense. They're even bringing Youtubers to Steam as curators. No one needs a Youtube review when Steam's recommended or not recommended tells you if a game is good or not.

It's my understanding that Curators don't get any monies from Steam unless you donate to the curator's hipster welfare fund.

geekmarine said:

It's a shame you can't post to Youtube or something. That seems like a very basic feature that should be available. Of course, I fully understand Valve wanting to have total control over the content, but it'd be so much easier to share if you could make the video available on Youtube.

They wouldn't reap any benefit in assisting you creating and exporting content you intend to monetize elsewhere. I assume it also saves them bandwidth.

Curators don't make money. Curators do it for the Youtube traffic, but with brief reviews no one cares. One of my Steam friends has 50,000 people on his curator, but he says no one clicks to watch his Youtube videos. You're working for free for Steam with the hope of your own publicity.

I remember the restrained jubilation some Youtubers had when announcing they've become curators.

The problem is anyone can recommend or review. Only modders get paid.

Modders don't get paid anymore, check the paid modders thread for the latest. :D

SYS said:

Modders don't get paid anymore, check the paid modders thread for the latest. :D

Free again? Wow. Victory. Well at least the Valve game modders get paid. $5 per hat! A cut of specialized key sales.