Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Evilution vs. Plutonia

Which is the coolest: Evilution or Plutonia?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the coolest: Evilution or Plutonia?

• Evilution rawx!
    • Plutonia Rox0rs!
    • I can\'t make up my mind.
    • They both stank. What a cheap trick.

cph said:

OTOH the Plutonia gameplay style has been done much better since by Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta, which have better variety, so it's been eclipsed IMO. But I still think Evilution, like Doom 2 itself, had too much crap to be release worthy - where's the quality control when you need it.

They do have a kind of quality assurance. We use to call it "Release deadline!"

That's funny - i breezed through both wads within a few days. Challenging, definitly, but near-impossible? I wouldn't say that... unless you're looking for 100% scores in all three areas.

Incidently, did anyone else have trouble defeating the Baphomet at the end of Evilution? The corridor containing Romero's head isn't aligned with the actual brain...

BTW Little Faith - if you like cool-looking teleporters, take a look at map03-onwards on our Jdoom-specific megawad :) - funky star-shaped affairs lined with candles.

*Shamelessly plugging once more...*

I have already played the first three levels of your project.

Level 2 was the only one I didn't care for.

I really do love your hellish style. It looks a bit like something I have seen Virgil done, but he is a sick fuck when it comes to action (like being assaulted by multiple arch-viles in a low gravity area). His maps are too hard. Even with IDDQD on.

Thanks for the opinions - i had no idea you'd played them :)
What didn't you like about map02?

All in all it's not one of my favourites. I think that the end-room with all the doors was what tipped the scale.

Then I played map 3 and was totally delighted. Good on style. Good on eye-candy. Plenty of coloured torches for Jdoom to make cool-looking. Plenty of attitude.

The first level was not that bad either. Very red and hellish.

I personally enjoyed the tournament room in map02 - especially when it came to the Arch-Viles at the end... but we're all entitled to our opinions.

I'm especially glad you liked map03 (River Phlegethon), as i spent weeks building it - most of the time was spent on the fortress about halfway thru the level. If you liked that, then hopefully you'll love map06.

map01 was my first in a loooong time, so it was bound to be a bit simplistic compared to the later levels.

DooMBoy said:

Evilution was 32 times better than Plutonia (32-one time for each level-32 times).

To be overall 32 times better, each level would have to be 32 times better (if you add) or (32)^(1/32) if you multiply.

DooMBoy said:

Also, Evilution started off and ended with a nice sense of balance. It sarted off easy and difficulty gradually ramped as you went along. As for Plutonia, it started off hard and ended impossible. Well, nearly.

Since I am stuck in Plutonia level 14 or something for like half a year now, I don't know about the latter levels, but Map30 of Plutonia is actually easier than Map30 if Evilution. Because it's shorter.

At some points in both wads, i got the distinct impression that the maps were just thrown together regardless of quality. Some excellent gems... but also some stinking pieces of shite that no sane soul would own up to creating.

Having said that, i got the same impression with Doom II at times...

I really wished I hadn't payed for Final Doom...I also really wish that I didn't have to pay for it again. I lost my Doom discs, so I have to re-buy Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom.

Just buy the freaking collector's edition for like twenty bucks.

It's also worth mentioning that Plutonia Map32 is like, the best map ever.

Liam the Bard said:

It's also worth mentioning that Plutonia Map32 is like, the best map ever.

Eww

Evilution would've been better if some attention was paid to texturing. Not to mention there are some totally crappy new textures, like the transparent doors in map21 look awful with those weird green pixels on them.

Here we can see a totally horrible use of textures, only possible in evilution:

Yes, Evilution has really horrible levels visually (only a few are decent), while most of Plutonia's levels look pretty awesome.

Espi said:

Evilution would've been better if some attention was paid to texturing. Not to mention there are some totally crappy new textures, like the transparent doors in map21 look awful with those weird green pixels on them.

Here we can see a totally horrible use of textures, only possible in evilution:

Hooray, you have succeeded in finding the ugliest spot of (the otherwise awesome) Central Processing. It is kind of a pity cause many of the new textures were actually pretty cool.

Can anyone tell me what they think is the lamest map of Evilution? I personally think that it is Dead Zone (map15).