Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Licensed Repo

Mappers can create extra textures for their maps if needed. But what if someone wants to submit lots of textures/resources that are not going to necessarily be used? The attic is stuff that has been replaced, but what if submissions are not replacing anything?

I think an expanded attic or unused repo of Freedoom licensed resources would be cool or should this just be a side project? Anyone can license their resources however they want whether or not they are a part of the official project, it would be nice to have some place to gather these resources.

This is also important for those mappers. Mappers can only choose textures in wad but if there is already prelicensed resource sets, then mappers can pick what they will actually use and that specific texture can be included in the official wad.

I would also like to see collection wads, not just raw resources. The 0.4 pink demon is somewhere, it would be cool if it had its own pwad. A set of sprites for each weapon, new and old in their own pwads. This will make things so much easier for modders as well as casual players. Can just -file or use a /skins folder for resources without having to open an editor. Even categorized texture/flat packs like greentechbase.wad for example would keep things organized and immediately useful.

it would be cool if expanding the textures beyond stock ones was one of the goals. plus having extra textures would give more creative options to mappers. i recently had a conversation about this with esselfortium, and he said that btsx really benefitted from an extensive texture set, a texture set that is actually still growing.

here is a pack of textures i did, most of them edited from freedoom stuff, its mostly silly stuff thoug

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7akq7ox8ekxe9wx/RHTP1.rar

Awesome! Those alien ones are really cool. Now a mapper can use those while mapping and whichever ones that are used can be included in the iwad. I do not think it is a good idea to keep a massive amount of textures that are not required for compatibility directly in the iwad.

I like the idea. Not sure if a repo (in the Git sense) is the best thing to store such an archive, though.

There should be a general site to encourage the creation and use of free resources, with much looser rules than Freedoom. Advocating resources that fit the goals of the free culture definition would certainly be beneficial. Using one of the Creative Commons licenses that fits the definition would be easiest; obviously, Freedoom's own license (based on the 3-clause BSD license) would be fine too (and allow the works to be used in Freedoom without explicitly asking :P).

i recently spoke strongly against zauberer using the freedoom license, but i have since backpedeled on that. the modifed bsd is a more permissive license than the atribution license. the mbsd also prevents users of our assets from claiming we endorse them. plus the atribution licenses dont let you sell on the appstore

so yeah despite my past views i say we keep freedoom license

To be more specific, I feel that it would benefit the project to have more unique, Freedoom-specific textures that aren't remakes of IWAD content, and eventually heavily featuring them in the included maps. Giving Freedoom more of a unique visual identity could help make it a more attractive platform for potential mappers. The IWAD remakes can remain for the compatibility goals, but the core project would have more room to blossom if it grew further beyond them.

some of the testure are good also that lizard status fits perfect whit the lizard chaingun incoming alse the ponye is usefull too :p

A long time ago we had some high-res graphics. This type of resource gathering should include high-res packs as well.

Ports are more advanced and players want more high res stuff, we also have great artists now to actually get these done.

im willing to do aditional texture, just not sure about the higher res, i suppose id have to give it a try first

I think this is awesome.

Question though: I know you can reuse Freedoom's resources freely, but what if you edit something from the project(like recoloring a texture), would using it still be okay, provided you credit the Freedoom project?

Sorry if it is an obvious question, but I seriously don't know shit about all these license models. As far as I can tell you can do anything as long as you credit the project for the resources you used, but I'm not 100% sure