Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lycaon

What's the most impossibly surpassable engine limit?

I've seen all kinds of things done in Doom engine. Things I didn't believe to be possible, but people always find out a way. Ever since Hexen and Heretic, tricks have been use to go around certain engine limitations. But what do you think is the single one thing that could never be achieved?

As far as I'm aware, the one impossible thing to do is to have a sector falling diagonally, as in a castle gate droping to create a bridge. I've never seen anyone do it and It seems to be impossible given the very nature of the engine, but I'm willing to admit I wouldn't be all that surprised if the first response to this post is a link towards a project that has made this possible.

The way Doom works, that's indeed not going to be possible.

It could be faked to some extent in GZDoom by using sloped 3D floors. The idea is that since the geometry itself cannot be rotated this way, instead what you do is prepare several "frames" of the drawbridge's animation, and then you use a script to swap them around (with instant raising and lowering of the 3D floors, those not being used at the moment getting hidden "under the map"). Problem, besides being complicated to set up, you also cannot get a smooth animation this way, at best you still have a max of 35 FPS even though people might use uncapped framerate. (There wont be interpolation of movement since the various frames are separate 3D floors.) Another problem is that actor above or below the drawbridge may interfere with floor movements, ruining the illusion.

Another approach to fake it would be to use a 3D model. Problem, then it's a mobj, so its collision box is function only of its radius and height. So the drawbridge wouldn't be functional. However, if you make it non-solid, and instead script a number of small (invisible) bridge things to move in an arc synchronized with the drawbridge movement, you could have a functional system.

In any way, it'd be complicated to set up so it'd be used maybe once as a proof of concept at most.

You could use a 3D model with an invisible 3D floor in place to walk on the bridge and then have the line in front of the bridge be blocked until the bridge has lowered completely. It won't allow the player to just jump on the bridge as it's lowering but it would be a lot simpler to pull off.

Lycaon said:

I've seen all kinds of things done in Doom engine. Things I didn't believe to be possible, but people always find out a way. Ever since Hexen and Heretic, tricks have been use to go around certain engine limitations. But what do you think is the single one thing that could never be achieved?

Feed your stomach.

scifista42 said:

Feed your stomach.

Now someone's going to rig a feeding a tube that injects food into your stomach whenever you beat a level. XD

MetroidJunkie said:

Now someone's going to rig a feeding a tube that injects food into your stomach whenever you beat a level. XD

Shhh, Sgt Mark IV is gonna hear you