Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Bethesda E3 Conference - DOOM4 Unveiling

Did I just see Doomguy using a Revenant's rocket launcher?

Ru5tK1ng said:

I lol at the bitching about the cartoony look. It stays true to the original game and Doom was never a super serious realism game to begin with. It could have been worse D: D:

Surely you can see a vast difference in style if you compare some of the new demon designs (mancubus, whatever the last one was) to the original. Again, I firmly believe that the originals were only cartoony because there was no imaginable way to make them more realistic with reasonable amounts of effort.

Stylistically, I prefer Doom 3 over what I've seen in this showcase. Apart from the general atmosphere of hell, that was cool.

Fulgrim said:

I'm actually a bit worried about the Snap Map tools. It seems like the Snap Map tools are really watered down compared to actual modding tools. I hope we will be able to add custom content and get the source code at some point.

It reminds me of Mario Maker. It'll probably have extremely limited capabilities in making actually new things (obviously moreso visual stuff than scripting).

One big concern I do have is the possibility of them pulling some Elder Scrolls stunt, by leaving a lot of minor additions out of it and just leaving it up to the modding community to put on the finishing layers.
I doubt it will be anything less than a good game, but I have a feeling you'll go through it feeling like there were a few perks missing, and there's also that irritating possibility of a graphics downgrade and all.

terminus12 said:

While I like some melee fatalities, they may have had a little too much, slows it down too much. It would be great if you could run through an enemy slicing him in half or something while on the run with the chainsaw to speed it up but keep in the hard core fatality-esk mindset.

Yeah, what if there's a room full of weak enemies and you just want to rush through with the chainsaw and grind them up without coming to a stop? Surely we won't have to sit through a lengthy "execution" animation each and every time we attack an enemy with it. If so, that'd get old fast.

I'm not sure how much skill will factor into the gameplay. In the hell video Doomguy goes from 15 to about 90 health after the Mancubus execution. A bit cheap. This will probably influence level design as well.

chubz said:

Yeah, that I'm not too high on. The demons glowing when they're "ready" to be executed seems a little silly to me as well, though I understand why that feature exists from a gameplay standpoint.

I like at least how the integrated into his HUD readout as opposed to them just magically glowing for no reason. You got to admit some of the fatalities are pretty fuckin brilliant.

chubz said:

I keep seeing this game being referred to as "cartoony," but even after rewatching the Bethesda Conference footage, I'm just not seeing it. It looks pretty gritty and realistic to me.

Overall the visuals look pretty decent but you have to admit that cyberdemon looks a bit cartoonish. Revenant on the other hand looks solid.

StevieCybernetik said:

I like at least how the integrated into his HUD readout as opposed to them just magically glowing for no reason. You got to admit some of the fatalities are pretty fuckin brilliant.

Oh, I didn't actually notice that it was hud-based and not just gamey glowing aura indicators. That's actually a bit better.

StevieCybernetik said:

You got to admit some of the fatalities are pretty fuckin brilliant.

Even the most brilliant fatality animation is going to be dull the hundredth time you see it.

Also was I mistaken, or did they show two fatalities on a Hell Knight, and it was the SAME one for both? Couldn't they have scripted that a little better, or is there only just the one?

Linguica said:

Also was I mistaken, or did they show two fatalities on a Hell Knight, and it was the SAME one for both? Couldn't they have scripted that a little better, or is there only just the one?

There was a lot of repeating in the fatalities and chainsaw kills. I sure hope we won't be penalized for just finishing people with guns manually.

I don't hate it. It could have turned out a lot worse but I'll need to view these videos more times first.

I wonder what the ammo counter for the Chainsaw is supposed to be, even though it stayed at 6 the whole time. Fuel?

And hopefully the PC version allows you to insta-switch weapons with the numbers on the keyboard, as always.

Looks awesome!

What did everyone think of the Soundtrack? Imo, it was good, although I really wanted something a little more metal than that. But I guess it wouldn't fit with the overall style of the game.

Antroid said:

There was a lot of repeating in the fatalities and chainsaw kills. I sure hope we won't be penalized for just finishing people with guns manually.

It seems like they killed enemies normally on a couple of occasions. I think they just wanted to show off the fatalities a lot.

Gordon said:

It seems like they killed enemies normally on a couple of occasions. I think they just wanted to show off the fatalities a lot.

Yeah but it's possible that using fatalities gives you bonuses such as those scattering powerups or jsut straight up health refills.

You can't expect the same thing from '93 in 2015, you just can't
Anyways, this demostrated that there's always someone who will complain about something.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

What did everyone think of the Soundtrack? Imo, it was good, although I really wanted something a little more metal than that. But I guess it wouldn't fit with the overall style of the game.

I agree. What I heard I liked, but just like in the original doom there is a time and place for both metal and something a little more ambient.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I love the soundtrack, if anything it was reminiscent of the original Terminator movie soundtrack. Very industrial vibe to it. I'm sure there will be pleanty of variety for the game, this was just a demo.

Ledillman said:

Anyways, this demostrated that there's always someone who will complain about something.

Well, not everyone sees our favorite old-ass game the exactly same way and has the same vision of how it should look in a modern game...

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I didn't really notice it. It seems like the type of soundtrack that blends in with the background and doesn't really do much to stand out.

chubz said:

I didn't really notice it. It seems like the type of soundtrack that blends in with the background and doesn't really do much to stand out.

Perfect description.

WAAAAY too much health per fatality. 20 health for an Imp? 80 health for a Hell Knight? Should be 5 for an imp and 20 for a Hell Knight AT MOST. Maybe it's just for demo purposes. I hope so.

chubz said:

The music seems to kick in when engaging the enemy, otherwise it's part of the background.

Well, after watching the gameplay several times, I can say that it is OK, but unfortunately it didn't blow me away as much as I had hoped. I don't know, but something was just missing for me. It was fast, gore was alright, although I thought it was strange when the chunks of flesh fell onto the floor but sometimes they left no blood splatter.

I also didn't like how some of the monsters were not instantly recognizable. I had a hard time telling that the the imp monster was an imp. The hell knight was recognizable because it looked very similar to the one in Doom 3.

As someone already mentioned, the gameplay in the hell level seemed a lot like the arena style combat from Serious Sam, which is alright in small doses, but if done too much, it can grow dull and boring really fast. Hopefully they recognize that part of Classic Doom's greatness lies in part in its great and varied level design. Each level had great variety. Some were narrow corridors like the Underhalls, others were open and sand box style like Downtown and Industrial Zone, others were arena type levels like the Courtyard, and some were a mix of different styles. If this Doom is to be awesome, it must have a good amount of variety in its level design. And it definitely MUST HAVE exploration and secret areas.

Well, we still have not seen much. Even these small videos are really just "snippets." We will have to wait and receive more details about the game in the coming days in order to really judge it.

Anyway, their main objective with the demo was to show off the combat and show that it is fast and frantic. I think they accomplished that objective pretty well.

Antroid said:

Well, not everyone sees our favorite old-ass game the exactly same way and has the same vision of how it should look in a modern game...

Or how it should translate into the modern era.

I watched the videos again and I take back some of what I said. It does look quite exciting but its lacking something, something that makes it Doom. Maybe us "hardcore fans" will never be fully satisfied?
The soundtrack was forgettable, as some have mentioned.

Anyway, speaking of monsters;

-Old fatty Mancubus shoots green energy and has flamethrower attack now? Not to mention he is cyclops (didn't have opportunity to count the nipples :P)
-The imps are even more grey and forgettable than in Doom3 and seem even less of a threat, if such a thing was possible. They look very similar to the zombies. Are the zombies transforming into imps?
-Revenant is pretty cool, the agitated skeltal we all love. You can transform into one in multiplayer now it would seem.
-Cyberdemon looks kind of dumb now that we get a good look at him. As people have stated he looks like something from World of Warcraft or something now, which is a shame.
-Anyone else take note of the Spectre in the Hell segment? It looked pretty hefty.
-Cacodemon pod things in the sky. They have the same weird hand/tail thing as in Doom3.
-What was the humanoid monster with the orange glowing back? It took several rockets despite its small size.
-What are are misshapen dudes with the laser guns? New chain-gun guys?
-Hellknights seem to be less threatening than in Doom3, and have lost their iconic green fire.