Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Bethesda E3 Conference - DOOM4 Unveiling

Marnetmar said:

I saw tons of other paths in that demo. Just because the player didn't take them doesn't mean they didn't exist, Jesus Christ.

... and then, devs didnt point that important feature... So? You can see town of parts, but are playable? Are those usually playable? NO.

Piper Maru said:

So what's the general consensus, does the Doom community like the new Doom, or is it a flop?

I'm also curious. Feels like there should be a poll.

I am cautiously hopeful. It is still a bit slower movement wise than I would like, and I am not a fan of the melee fatalities, but other than that it shows promise. Hopefully one of the moddable features will be the colours so we can get a more "technicolor" version is we want it :)

Honestly, when it comes to the new Doom and the Doom community, it reminds me of this.

Mr. Pitt = Doomworld

Elaine = Bethesda

Jerry = Doomers who like the new Doom game

Piper Maru said:

So what's the general consensus, does the Doom community like the new Doom, or is it a flop?

Who gives a shit. This experience has taught me that there are some people in the community that won't be pleased unless the game is EXACTLY like the original. Any deviation, and it's all the sudden like COD. If I were Id, I would stop wasting my time trying to please and kowtow to the demands of the super-duper, hard-core, uncompromising, fundamentalist crowd which has the population size of a small African village. They will never be happy, no matter how close to the original you make the game. I would just try to bring Doom into the modern era while at the same time maintaining the fundamentals of the franchise including bloody and violent fast paced action, dark and moody atmosphere, good level design with exploration elements, big guns, big demons, lots of blood and guts, good modding tools, etc.

Actual props? Shit, I want them

Also, interesting note about the Plasma Rifle. It seems that, maybe even in Universe, it's related to the Doom 3 Plasma Rifle. They look pretty similar, after all.

Anyone else realize just how much the Mancubus looks like the Doom 64 one?
Of course, the face is the exception.
In fact, the BFG9000 also looks A LOT like the Doom 64 version.

The Civ said:

Made by a glorious anon.
Whoever they are, clap for them, and give them a job at iD.
http://i.imgur.com/riA7s1o.jpg

This. So much this. Simply adding red to the sky and cacodemons already adds a dimension of identity I feel the actual game missed. Not saying the reveal was poor by any means but I much prefer this fan recoloring over the DOOM we got to see.

The Civ said:

Made by a glorious anon.
Whoever they are, clap for them, and give them a job at iD.
http://i.imgur.com/riA7s1o.jpg

Now see, I would even say this looks like Doom again!!!

This is what it should be. I just sent it to someone I know that works at id. Fingers crossed they can make some changes...that picture is Doom!

Love those updated photos. Now give them some of their original sound effects back and add some Doom music themes that we can all hum again like E1M1 and it's much more like Doom! Classic door and weapon sounds would also add to that feeling. :)

Sigh, I'm disappointed the coloured pictures are just fan uploads.

Maybe we should pay someone to write a game preview that Doom 2016 looks too colourless, maybe that way id will notice.

The recolored shots are ugly and tasteless. Disagree with id's emphasis on desaturated colors all you want, but you can't deny that everything seen in that trailer was very fine-tuned and carefully balanced. You can't just slap saturated colors on existing work not even designed for it and call it a day; to look good, visuals must be designed from the ground up with certain aesthetic principles in mind.

I prefer the colorful look myself, but clearly the project is too far along to change that, and I don't exactly mind things outside of my preferred taste as long as they're executed well.

Weren't people complaining that the new Doom looks too cartoonish? Those altered pictures are a nice homage to the original but the brighter colors do indeed make it look even more cartoonish and goofier. The only change I like is the red hell sky behind the caco demons.

Man, if some people on this forum had their way, the new Doom would look like a goofy cartoon and only they would like it!

The current color design makes it look like you're viewing the world through a Piss Christ filter.

Re: 'cartoon' complaint:
I think it's that the enemies don't look very threatening/look too "hollywood" in their movements. Some of the animations for the revenants, like the mid-air spin kicks while jet-packing (I swear I saw that at one point) are just ridiculous. They somehow appear too emotive, as opposed to being efficient killing machines exuding cold hatred. Basically they're applying techniques honed for convincing cartoon characters, human or comical beast, without enough adjustment for literal hellish wrath.

DooM_RO said:

That's just fucking stupid.

lol, it's the ridiculous side of an ultra nostalgic fan.
Anyway it doesn't solve one important thing. the map still sucks :P

nicolas monti said:

lol, it's the ridiculous side of an ultra nostalgic fan.
Anyway it doesn't solve one important thing. the map still sucks :P

Please explain. How does it suck?

Just consider this. Id are showcasing Doom at E3 1992 (I know there wasn't an E3 back then but I'm proving a point here), show E1M2 and ONLY take the obvious route, meaning keycard, door, lift, exit. No chaingun secret, no dark maze secret, no chainsaw secret. It would be pretty fucking similar to what we saw.

Jesus Christ, that video is just plain retarded.

DooM_RO said:

Please explain. How does it suck?

Just consider this. Id are showcasing Doom at E3 1992 (I know there wasn't an E3 back then but I'm proving a point here), show E1M2 and ONLY take the obvious route, meaning keycard, door, lift, exit. No chaingun secret, no dark maze secret, no chainsaw secret. It would be pretty fucking similar to what we saw.

Jesus Christ, that video is just plain retarded.

Lol we've already agreed the video is retarded, it's funny because of that. I understand that the video is about just one route, but anyway I don't see many corridors or alternative ways in the video either, the path seems very straightfoward and as I've adressed earlier, not a risky situation regarding to combat.
What about the layout's omnipresent 90° angles? that bores me to death, we surpassed that limit in 1993 from Wolfenstein 3d to doom.
I have a better impression of the hell level though, the layout seems more freely executed, different shapes and heights, and the varied monster locations make things more interesting, that makes me to keep some faith in the development.

nicolas monti said:

Lol we've already agreed the video is retarded, it's funny because of that. I understand that the video is about just one route, but anyway I don't see many corridors or alternative ways in the video either, the path seems very straightfoward and as I've adressed earlier, not a risky situation regarding to combat.
What about the layout's omnipresent 90° angles? that bores me to death, we surpassed that limit in 1993 from Wolfenstein 3d to doom.
I have a better impression of the hell level though, the layout seems more freely executed, different shapes and heights, and the varied monster locations make things more interesting, that makes me to keep some faith in the development.

There was at least one alternative path. The first is the walkway just before the first ambush.

Also, the player could have went through the door he opens with his hands from the beginning.

DooM_RO said:

There was at least one alternative path. The first is the walkway just before the first ambush.

Then again, hope you are right (I have yet to see how mapping will be, did ID speak about it? anyway for for god sake, they needed to do a hologram to show you need to go downstairs to pick the arm?) that map probably its just a show-how-cool-game-is than a map for the finished DooM.

Just catching up all this...

Mixed impression - in and of itself it looks like it might be fine, but some of DOOM's core elements do seem to be missing. Of course, it was only a brief glimpse, so perhaps they're in there, but from what they said in the conference, and the subsequent interview, they do seem to have a pretty simplistic understanding of the original games, and of what made/makes them so fun, so I'll temper my expectations.

I want to believe this will be a good game...it would break my heart if it sucked :(

If it sucks maybe it will determine the community to make their own, unofficial sequel using Doom Ascension assets...time will tell.