Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Bethesda E3 Conference - DOOM4 Unveiling

LANEGRACABRA said:

Does anyone else think the Doom3 hellknight was bigger and thicker?

Yes.

Quasar said:

Doesn't look anything alike. The revenant is very fleshy, like a fresh corpse, and skinny. These guys have jet black, extremely muscular bodies with demon legs, but a bare bone skull for a head, which the Doomguy likes to grab ahold of to snap their necks. From a profile, they have just about the same shape and size as a Hell knight. They've not been seen to throw projectiles, though their hands sometimes have a fiery or energetic appearance while they are attacking.

The guys you're describing haven't officially been given the name skull knight yet, right?

Piper Maru said:

Will Doom 4 have its own section under the Doom info section on the front page like Doom 3?

lol effort

AwesomeO-789 said:

The guys you're describing haven't officially been given the name skull knight yet, right?

Haven't seen any canonical source mention a name for it, only fans. However, many fans have acted like they think it is distinct from the Hell knight based on something, possibly knowledge from QC2014? It'd be nice to get clarification from somebody who'd know better.

Has anyone who has seen the Quakcon video told us what the difference are? You would think we would of heard something by now.

Quasar said:

Haven't seen any canonical source mention a name for it, only fans. However, many fans have acted like they think it is distinct from the Hell knight based on something, possibly knowledge from QC2014? It'd be nice to get clarification from somebody who'd know better.

Is this the Hell Knight, or the Skeleton Knight?

I think that's baron of hell. or I guess the pink from the original game. those were the ones the player fought in the demo.

Zemini said:

Has anyone who has seen the Quakcon video told us what the difference are? You would think we would of heard something by now.

Judging by the description I think it was the same exact demo they showed at quakecon. the tearing off the arm and using as a key was described by PCGAMER in their twitter feed along with the end of the hell demo where cyberdemon shows up and the demo stops as well as the revenant ripping off the player's arms and beating him with it

I haven't read every single post in this thread either to see if anyone else is picking up on this, but I swear I'm hearing the sound of a Quake Shambler being shot whenever the shotgun is fired too..

So what weapon cyberdemon will have rocket launcher? Becouse on the gameplay it looks like he is charging some BFG type weapon.

Maybe he will shoot explosive balls of energy that, more or less, act like rockets. I also get the feeling the Cyberdemon will have some sort of melee attack, because his hand seems to have a large spike on the wrist.

sleepii said:

Judging by the description I think it was the same exact demo they showed at quakecon. the tearing off the arm and using as a key was described by PCGAMER in their twitter feed along with the end of the hell demo where cyberdemon shows up and the demo stops as well as the revenant ripping off the player's arms and beating him with it

I also read some of the twitter comments regarding a Warehouse, robotic repair unit and monster infighting. I think there might of been another demo.

Zemini said:

I also read some of the twitter comments regarding a Warehouse, robotic repair unit and monster infighting. I think there might of been another demo.

Yes YES EXACTLY! I really want to explore! :_)

I'm feeling really good about neo-Doom and I suspect as we so more footage, we'll see less whining from nit-pickers.

With Doom 3 we had two novels and that unfortunate movie. I wonder if this new Doom will usher in some other goodies in other forms of media?

Piper Maru said:

With Doom 3 we had two novels and that unfortunate movie. I wonder if this new Doom will usher in some other goodies in other forms of media?

I dunno, Doom usually ends in tears when people try to flesh out the story, with plots ranging from boring to buttfuck insane.

Okay, I have the first Doom novel and it's an amusing novelty accurate to it's source material but also boring most of the time, it's kinda like a let's play that you read.

And... I hear people saying Doom 3 had a great story but I'm not seeing it. I don't remember the characters' names or why they mattered.

I'm hoping this new Doom will hold back a bit on story but some context would be nice and it is fun to dream of a good Doom movie, even if it's probably not gonna happen in our lifetime.

Best Doom adaptation ever was the comic book. :V

kelliegator said:

I dunno, Doom usually ends in tears when people try to flesh out the story, with plots ranging from boring to buttfuck insane.

Okay, I have the first Doom novel and it's an amusing novelty accurate to it's source material but also boring most of the time, it's kinda like a let's play that you read.

And... I hear people saying Doom 3 had a great story but I'm not seeing it. I don't remember the characters' names or why they mattered.

I'm hoping this new Doom will hold back a bit on story but some context would be nice and it is fun to dream of a good Doom movie, even if it's probably not gonna happen in our lifetime.

Best Doom adaptation ever was the comic book. :V

I think the new Doom should have a story, but make it like the original Dooms' stories. Have a cutscene at the beginning, and after every "boss" have another cutscene explaining where you're going, what you're doing and what you just did.

AwesomeO-789 said:

I think the new Doom should have a story, but make it like the original Dooms' stories. Have a cutscene at the beginning, and after every "boss" have another cutscene explaining where you're going, what you're doing and what you just did.

Fair enough but I don't want Doomguy talking, breaks the anonymity factor and won't let you project onto him/her/it/NO FLAME WAR PLZ.

IMO, the less cutscenes whatsoever, the better. Ideal number = zero.

I feel similarly about map sections without combat, which you're supposed to walk through for the atmosphere's sake, otherwise they don't need to exist. I don't want anything like that.

scifista42 said:

IMO, the less cutscenes whatsoever, the better. Ideal number = zero.

I feel similarly about map sections without combat, which you're supposed to walk through for the atmosphere's sake, otherwise they don't need to exist. I don't want anything like that.

A game without any sort of narrative or breathing time just becomes tedious. Yeah it's great for the small handful of hardcore Doom nuts wanting nothing but a 32 map blast fest, centered around finding key cards. Probably not gonna sit well with the general audience. There has to be some sort of endgame and reason as to why this is all happening.

Say what you want about D3's story, it gave you just the right amount of cutscenes (which were relatively short) to give you an idea of whats happening, and set pieces here and there to set the mood. All of that combined gives at least some narrative which is necessary for a game like this.

kelliegator said:

Fair enough but I don't want Doomguy talking, breaks the anonymity factor and won't let you project onto him/her/it/NO FLAME WAR PLZ.

Totally agree with you. When I played the Project Brutality mod for Brutal Doom I was kinda annoyed Doomguy talked every minute. Luckily there was an option to turn it off. Keep the shitty jokes and one-liners in games like Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior.

Xaero_Four said:

A game without any sort of narrative or breathing time just becomes tedious. Yeah it's great for the small handful of hardcore Doom nuts wanting nothing but a 32 map blast fest, centered around finding key cards. Probably not gonna sit well with the general audience. There has to be some sort of endgame and reason as to why this is all happening.

Say what you want about D3's story, it gave you just the right amount of cutscenes (which were relatively short) to give you an idea of whats happening, and set pieces here and there to set the mood. All of that combined gives at least some narrative which is necessary for a game like this.

Yeah. There are definitely times when I play Doom and it gets too intense after a while. It's just level after level, I don't feel "good" for lack of a better term when I just leave after starting a new level. I need some closure before I leave a game. Ending on a "cliffhanger" just isn't fun.

It can get away with a complete lack of story as long as it has more varied objectives than "find the keycard". If the immediate goals are satisfying, there's no need for a better final objective than to leave Mars.

In fact I think it would be interesting to never meet or hear a human voice except for those death holograms.

The pace and variety of certain sections of Rage and The Lost Mission is good enough to sustain an 8-10 hours game with no plot.

I like the idea of having some major story events happen occasionally throughout the game to break up the action and reward you, expanding on how the story was told in classic Doom, instead of feeling like you're constantly walking through a scripted experience like too many modern games.

Back in the old Dooms I was always looking forward to the text intermissions and even map names, because those were the scraps that I could get. I really don't want the new one to have zero cutscenes and zero story and zero breathing room and just be non stop action. That would get incredibly tedious very fast.

Doom 3's story may be stupidly juvenile at times, but the cutscenes were (generally) handled well. I like how you get a real sense of the environment during the opening cutscene and how there's a bit of in-game interaction before the action gets going. That was cool. I feel like maybe they're not really going to go for that with neo-Doom, which is a shame. However, Doom 3 also had a bad habit of very cheesily introducing new enemies, which is entirely ineffective. I'm 100% certain we're not going to see that with the 2015 edition.