Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

In-game wad loader - has this been tried yet?

I tried Jimmy's Jukebox and thought, why not make an in-game wad loader? There have been many, many times I've wanted to load a wad without having to exit and restart.

The problem is that many parts of the game need to be initialized from wad data at startup, such as the texture manager for example.

Doomsday introduced runtime add-on loading (and game switching) via the Ringzero CLI back in 2012. Since then we've added a graphical Home Screen (and task bar) UI for switching games, joining networked games and managing saved games.

The next step is to implement a graphical UI on top of the CLI for runtime add-on management. The plan is to introduce this in the version which follows the upcoming 1.15

It would probably require a whole new source port, with modified startup procedure and the launcher being built-in. (uneducated guess)
EDIT: I wrote this before I saw DaniJ's post.

Odamex features wad loading on the fly, just by using the console. It works exactly as you describe.

Eternity has been able to load wads at runtime since 2001, and *mostly* everything will work normally. Even advanced features such as EDF have been designed to support it.

The only port I know of that does this with zero hassle is Odamex, which is especially convenient online. Having 10+ wads to pick from on one server is a feature I really wish Zan and ZD would pick up, as well as in built wad downloading.

SRB2 can load wads of any kind in-game with the console command "addfile filename.wad" doesn't look like a problem >_<

Thats right, Doom Legacy 1.42 had this all along! (That's what SRB2 is)

Splitscreen + Wad loading on the fly = 1.42 is still a solid as fuck port. Come at me bros.

It's not just in-game wad loading that I'd like. The wad I linked to in the original post has you in a room where you throw switches to choose a midi playlist. Imagine if you could walk into alphabetized rooms and throw a switch to choose your wad?

Doomkid said:

Oh yeah i forgot this point, maybe because i didn't fully try Doom Legacy ,Started by SRB2 .

Doomkid said:

Splitscreen + Wad loading on the fly = 1.42 is still a solid as fuck port. Come at me bros.

The splitscreen is a pain in the but to set up with modern controllers. :(

It would be nice to have splitscreen or even dual window support in a ZDoom like port with the plug and play features with the controllers and the mod support.

BlackFish said:

The splitscreen is a pain in the but to set up with modern controllers. :(

It would be nice to have splitscreen or even dual window support in a ZDoom like port with the plug and play features with the controllers and the mod support.

I agree completely, but I wouldn't dare to voice this opinion anywhere outside of DW. (Went through many hoops before giving up)