Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BMRX

Just some questions...

scifista42 said:

No. The only "clever" thing about them is that their description tries to convince you that they're normal wads. They're aimed to unknowing people who just want to play a wad, and then these wads suddenly reveal their malicious form at the beginning / in the middle of the game. They're usually unplayable or terribly playable on their own right, too.

I think this is not correct at all. By now pretty much everyone knows about them so it's not like terrywads can surprise many players. Yet their scene is still active. I think it's not that much about trolling anymore, but rather about celebration of the style, trying to come up with new ridiculous shit, pushing ACS scripting to the extreme, etc. They're having a lot of fun with that, otherwise they would probably have stopped a long time ago.

On topic, I think it's annoying as hell that so many people come on the internet not to exchange opinions but to "prove" them.

Da Werecat said:

I don't know why, but I had the feeling that Linkrulezall is going to mention that when I saw his nickname. I thought it was a completely irrational feeling.

The context of the post was pretty much a dead giveaway.

Memfis said:

By now pretty much everyone knows about them so it's not like terrywads can surprise many players. Yet their scene is still active. I think it's not that much about trolling anymore, but rather about celebration of the style, trying to come up with new ridiculous shit, pushing ACS scripting to the extreme, etc. They're having a lot of fun with that, otherwise they would probably have stopped a long time ago.

People still get mad at them all the time despite that, though. Then again, I suppose you're right otherwise they most likely wouldn't have made something like B4NM.

Ultimately, I create mods in the ways I see fit, and could care less if anyone has a problem with it. De gustibus non est disputandum; In matters of taste, there can be no disputes.

Linkrulezall said:

The context of the post was pretty much a dead giveaway.

I didn't think you'd still be sore about it.

Official List of Reasons Why Brutal Doom Absolutely Without Fail Rustles People's Jimmies:

1. Upset by Sgt Mark IV's complete lack of proper crediting and often passing other people's work off as his own (as far as some people think GZdoom is an extension of Brutal Doom and not the other way around)
2. Annoyed by people asking for Brutal Doom compatibility for unrelated projects
3. Just don't find it fun or enjoyable
4. Tired of everyone constantly talking about it non-stop
5. Don't like the fact that Sgt Mark IV is a racist/misogynist/told a guy to kill himself/denied the holocaust/whatever other social issue stance of Sgt Mark IV is "problematic"
6. Hate the the word "jealous" and the number of times it is spewed from Mark IV's mouth.
7. All of the above

Da Werecat said:

I didn't think you'd still be sore about it.

I'm not sore, I was just offering an explanation. Also, I hadn't been on Doomworld since I made the original post.

Tarnsman said:

Official List of Reasons Why Brutal Doom Absolutely Without Fail Rustles People's Jimmies:

1. Upset by Sgt Mark IV's complete lack of proper crediting and often passing other people's work off as his own (as far as some people think GZdoom is an extension of Brutal Doom and not the other way around)
2. Annoyed by people asking for Brutal Doom compatibility for unrelated projects
3. Just don't find it fun or enjoyable
4. Tired of everyone constantly talking about it non-stop
5. Don't like the fact that Sgt Mark IV is a racist/misogynist/told a guy to kill himself/denied the holocaust/whatever other social issue stance of Sgt Mark IV is "problematic"
6. Hate the the word "jealous" and the number of times it is spewed from Mark IV's mouth.
7. All of the above

This thread is interesting to me mainly because of a facebook post by Andrew, the musician from Interceptor Entertainment. He was talking about an experience he had with a DooM related forum (not sure which one, he did not state it) where he was met with overwhelming animosity just because he mentioned he likes Brutal Doom. It actually made him leave the forum altogether. He also stated the concept of "Doom Hipsters" that hate on people who plays the game "wrong" (ie Not Vanilla). What do you guys think? I personally dont mind Brutal Doom and im pretty much a ZDoomer.

well I don't think there are many people in any Doom community turning their noses up at Square or Valiant... Brutal Doom just gets special negative attention because of the way it distracts from mods and sets with more substance.

yakfak said:

Brutal Doom just gets special negative attention because of the way it distracts from mods and sets with more substance.

but the problem is the animosity that fans of brutal doom get. It can get very toxic if left unchecked.

Let people like what they like. The only time I've ever seen someone get berated here is if they're a douche bag, not for simply admitting they like BD. Additionally, I've never heard this "vanilla or die" stuff that's been talked about in a few threads recently.

If someone says "Brutal Doom is awesome, you're just jealous, grow some balls" etc - That most definitely counts as being a douche bag. Same goes from someone saying "vanilla is the only way, you're a fag if you like new stuff" or whatever, but I've never heard the latter and have heard the former far too many times..

jazzmaster9 said:

He was talking about an experience he had with a DooM related forum (not sure which one, he did not state it) where he was met with overwhelming animosity just because he mentioned he likes Brutal Doom. It actually made him leave the forum altogether. He also stated the concept of "Doom Hipsters" that hate on people who plays the game "wrong" (ie Not Vanilla). What do you guys think?

I don't say this is the case, but I think misunderstanding and exaggeration might take a role. Imagine this situation: Newbie comes to the forum and randomly mentions or even recommends Brutal Doom (possibly when proposing his own maps). Several forum members who are not fond on Brutal Doom will make their brief disagreeing posts, not comprehensible to the newbie because he always knew only people who liked Brutal Doom. Newbie asks what's up with the disagreement. As a reaction to this question, next few forum members will explain him reasons why they personally don't like Brutal Doom and/or why they don't enjoy the changes Brutal Doom introduced, some of these forum members will use sarcasm. Newbie comes to the conclusion that the community hates Brutal Doom and anything that differs from vanilla.

Andrew never did mention which forums he was posting on. But the stuff he experienced should never happen to newbie forum members/ fans.

All right, on the other hand, I'm skeptical about what actually happened to him. Is it at least possible to find the Facebook post in question? I didn't succeed to do so.

I can imagine people who dislike Brutal Doom being out of line just as well. It's serious business, after all.

The post he made was not recent. I was planning to do a thread on it but was too lazy to do so at the time.