Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello

In the next map I make I want to experiment with repopulation so I'm looking for maps that do this well. What I mean by this is where a most the map is completed and a trigger repopulates the map with monsters. I'm thinking of standard layouts for this rather than slaughter arenas as I know this is a common thing in that subgenre. The first thing that comes to my mind is Rats in the Walls from Requiem so more stuff like that is what I'm looking for.

As an aside I'm also interested in examples of maps with a surrounded base layout where you can walk right around the base and attack from different angles. Maps like the Factory of Doom II, Deadzone of TNT and Natas ot Etubirt of Requiem.

I was thinking about a bunch of monster closets but I would be interested in seeing a variety of methods, provided they happen on a bigger scale than one room.

The only map I can think of is the first map of Earth.wad if you look at the map in an editor most of it is unpopulated but monstera teleport in. It's really cool I suggest you search it up and play it.

Wasn't there an ancient 1994 wad where someone recreated their entire office building, but due to a faulty teleport trigger or some such error, none of the monsters teleported in? So you ended up running round on your own wondering if it was supposed to be a deathmatch map. That one's worth mentioning because the entire monster population beamed into the map, or was meant to. I don't think that's ever been done since.

EDIT: I'm fairly sure someone on Doomworld fixed the teleport error but I never played that version.

EDIT: This is getting further from what you asked for but there was another very old map called Baronoia where the Hell Baron(s?) beamed in to random areas, supposedly using some mapping trickery.

You can get monsters to teleport in whenever you want really easily. There are a few tutorials on it I think. Chubzdoomer probably has one

Xaser's "Carrol St. Station" from Doom: The Lost Episode might be worth a look. The entire level is mostly bereft of enemies until you reach a critical anomaly, after which the level becomes suddenly flush with active monsters.

Regarding the AV Method

Valiant - MAP18
BTSX 2 - MAP24

These levels kill monsters in advance via exploding barrels crushed by crushers. The player wanders into a massive AV trap when they enter said area. The BTSX map is the map premise.

If you're thinking of limit-removing or vanilla format utilizing closets, there's a method to have them spring open only after you've done something elsewhere. UR10's yellow key area utilized this and it worked rather well in terms of surprising people, I think:

-Create a WR door and join it with a detached sector (1)
-Create an adjacent sector (2) to the door with the same ceiling height (let's just say 0 by default)
-Create a third (3) sector on the opposite end with a height equal to the lowest sector adjacent to said door
-In the area where the player has achieved whatever objective they have to do before passing back through the original room/corridor, have a walkover trigger raise the ceiling of sector 2. I can't remember the trigger action but there aren't many ceiling ones in vanilla, so that should be easy to find
-When the player returns, the doors spring open
-Profit

It's actually easier to create than to write come to think of it. I got the idea from MM2 Map07's door o' frustration, so you can look at a similar scenario (though it uses a crusher to just piss people off as opposed to the method listed above). Just remember a door will always open to the lowest adjacent sector and adjust accordingly.