Find results in...
Pinchy

';,,;' Birthday Maps

If anyone wants an excuse to map:

Mandatory themes:

- PrBoom CL-9 max
- Max 310 linedefs (pocket maps!)
- Only 90 or 45 degree angles.
- Must use TANROCK2 (minimum of four 128 x 128 sections or equivalent)
- Must use RROCK15 (minimum of eight 64 x 64 sections or equivalent)
- One custom texture maximum size 128 x 128 of family safe content hidden in a secret, preferably funny. The name should be the first 8 letters of your username, if less fill with X.

Deadline: May 10th, 23:00 GMT.

';,,;'

Submitted Maps

One hell of a party - walter confalonieri
Four Birthdays and a Funeral - The Mionic Donut
Gauntlet - Joe Ilya
RROCK and Roll - AD79

Hiding behind the pillars makes it perfectly manageable I think, and you can always restore HP even if you get hit by the chaingunners a lot. I guess it can be hard if you're not used to this sort of "hardcore" gameplay. Here is a demo with 100% kills. You can make it easier if you want.

Can I implement difficulty? I noticed there is not a big difference between them. If so I will keep UV the same as you left it but I'll change HMP a little.

Yeah sure, that's a good idea. I actually haven't touched the difficulty settings yet.

One hell of a party
Build time: 4 hours
New music: Emptyness.mid by stewboy (i hope this could be ok to use..)
Mandatory themes accomplished (i'm not totally sure about the degrees thing...)

I like it! :) You followed the style well, the map seems very coherent despite being made by two people. I'll add some details and change the gameplay a bit tomorrow.

btw I just realized that we both used some non-90/45 angles, I guess I should get rid of those...

I thought I could get away with the two because you had some non 90-45 degree angles with your lights haha, also I didn't add detail because I was running up against the linedef limit and was assuming you wanted to do it.

BTW thanks for the opportunity to try something different

Four Birthdays and a Funeral

Music - 32in24-11 map17
Buildtime: On and off for seven hours

Its also 2048x2048 AND 50 monsters so if you don't like it I will throw it in some other project D:

Going to make a speedmap this Friday or Saturday when I have time.

EDIT: Due to unfortunate circumstances I wont be able to make a birthday map for ya :(

I did the thing.

Name: RRock and Roll
Build Time: 1 hour 15 minutes OOPS
Music: Technical Difficulties by Jimmy from 30in30 (I think)
Compatibility: Boom, -complevel 9
Line Count: 310

Kinda easy map, extremely small.

Got a beta compilation up, includes all 5 maps (yes that means the collab). No real order here.

MAP01: RRock and Roll (AD_79)
MAP02: 4 Birthdays and a Funeral (TheMionicDonut)
MAP03: One Hell of a Party (Walter Confalonieri)
MAP04: Gauntlet (Joe-Ilya)
MAP05: Pinchback (Memfis & TheNerdTurtle2)

Get your maps in by tomorrow if you're making a map.

If Memfis doesn't want to finish the map I'll finish it up but I'm assuming he'll do it today or tomorrow.

Anyway here is my review:

@AD_79 The map is perfect you shouldn't make any changes except in my opinion I think the lava should be damaging, I've never seen not damaging lava.

@TheMionicDonut This map is really good (I just hate Pain Elementals) but in the room after the first door some of the cage textures are misalligned and look awkward.

@Walter Confalonieri Your map is perfect, however it says nigger in it and Pinchy said the image needs to be family appropriate.

@Joe-Ilya Another really good map but it has a few weird things you should fix. The "houses" in your screenshot have really skinny rooftops, IMO they should be thicker. The only other thing is in one of the dead ends there are 3 torches and an open space. I thought it was a secret but it wasn't. You should either add another torch or make it a secret.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

@Joe-Ilya ... in one of the dead ends there are 3 torches and an open space. I thought it was a secret but it wasn't. You should either add another torch or make it a secret.

I disagree. Thinking this way is really forced. A map has random decorations in unusual patterns, so what? It doesn't exactly feel professional, but it's no problem either. Regarding the thin door rooftops, yes that's somewhat illogical, but joe-ilya used to make much worse doors that clipped directly into the sky. This map is a simplistic "low-effort" IWAD-esque one, and considering that, the design doesn't irk me. I've found joe-ilya's map simplistic yet enjoyable to play. The custom texture was pretty horrid though, IMO.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

If Memfis doesn't want to finish the map I'll finish it up but I'm assuming he'll do it today or tomorrow.

At the moment I don't really feel inspired to work on anything, so you can go ahead and finish it by yourself. But if you want to take it in your own project, maybe it shouldn't go in this compilation? Well, I'll leave it for you to decide.

@Scifista42 I know it's his style I was just giving suggestions, I may have put too much emphasis on it though haha

@Memfis I think it should be in both, for my project I have more room to breath and can give the map more than 310 linedefs and keep the non 45/90 angles. But also playing through this compilation, our map feels like a nice ending, unless someone wants to make a pocket boss map for the end. In the end I don't think there is anything wrong about putting it in both.

Although the deadline is in 3 hours I may wait until tomorrow as I am not really that strict on this project(time zone breathing room) although if a map does have a racial slur in it, it might be best to change it.

Finally had some time to have a playthrough today, great stuff.

Tanks all for submitting.

';,,;'