Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Why do my doors have bad textures?

Most of Doom 64's door textures require you to make use of the X and/or Y mirroring flags on the linedef, due to the Nintendo 64's extremely limited texture memory, which forced all of the textures in the game to be very small files.

Can you tell me how to do this, if you don't mind me asking? and point me out to a mapping guide for Doom 64? It seems trickier than normal Doom Does this mean doors have to be certain sized? I remember seeing a Doom 64 custom wad that had a giant door as an entrance to a castle.

Also, do you know how I can move the camera faster? Copying and pasting textures while moving the speed of a slug in visual mode is annoying.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

Can you tell me how to do this, if you don't mind me asking?

Select the linedef and check the "UV Wrap H Mirror" flag to make the texture mirror horizontally, and the "UV Wrap V Mirror" flag to make it mirror vertically.

Does this mean doors have to be certain sized? I remember seeing a Doom 64 custom wad that had a giant door as an entrance to a castle.

Did you play that custom level on Nintendo64? The Nintendo64 limitations probably don't apply anymore if you only intend to make wads for Doom64 Ex on PC. The stock textures needed to follow the limitations because the original game was for Nintendo64, but custom ones specifically for Doom64 Ex wads probably don't need to.

Also, do you know how I can move the camera faster? Copying and pasting textures while moving the speed of a slug in visual mode is annoying.

Hold shift while moving.
If it's still too slow, use the "Editor Things -> Visual Mode Camera" thing. Move it wherever you want to, and next time you enter the visual mode, the camera will start from there. Delete the thing when you finish your map.