Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
illuknisaa

Questions about vents

I'm using gzdoom builder and making my map in hexen format and I want to add cool vents to my map.

1. I made this simple vent with a grate. I'm using "Breakable Glass" action to make the grate impassable unless it gets shot. My problem is that the grate texture stays the same. I'd like to have the texture removed or changed into "broken grate" texture. How do I do this?

2. How can I players footsteps make a sound when he walks over stuff?

3. How do I make a sector just spin all the time (for lolz)
eg.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4un5SimeD8

ty

1. This is non-trivial. Give a certain line ID to the linedef. Make an ACS script that will replace a texture of linedefs with this line ID (using SetLineTexture). Finally, make the script gun activated by the linedef in question - so that when the player shoots it, the script will be launched and it will change the texture.

2. This is even less trivial. Perhaps it would be achievable via a custom TERRAIN lump. If you want him to always make footsteps, then make a custom player class that will make footstep sounds during his running animation.

3. Vertices cannot change position in the Doom engine, not even in ZDoom or GZDoom engine, it's given by BSP limitation. You cannot have moving or rotating sectors. You can only have moving PolyObjects. Rotating the player along with a floor texture would require a very complex ACS script that would probably be buggy anyway.

Ok I made my spinning poly object but the object is the lenght of the entire sector it is in. How do I make it shorter?

Change size or shape of the PolyObject's control sector (the one outside the playable area). If you still have troubles, search for PolyObject tutorials, I'm sure there are multiple ones.

Changing the vertical size of the control sector has no effect and tutorial I could find dont talk about how change vertical size.

Oh, vertical size. Sorry to disappoint you, but it's impossible to do. PolyObject is actually not a sector, but a group of "fake" lines only. At best, you can create advanced PolyObjects out of 2-sided lines, according to the guide on the bottom of the wiki page. But actual moving sectors (ala Duke Nukem 3D) are impossible.

I was looking through the wiki link you gave:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/PolyObjects

and at the botton of the page it says under "advanced polyobj"

Give the polyobject lines the "3D middle texture" flag to give it finite vertical collision box. Note that the polyobject's holding sector will be used as a reference for checking if there is room above or below it, not the sector it is actually in!

This also leads me to http://zdoom.org/wiki/3D_middle_texture which I need to set "line_setidentification" but I don't really understand how that works. What lines I'm suppose to give this identification, the control sector's or polyobject's?

You could probably achieve the visual effect with a 3D model decoration object, just don't expect very complex collision detection. Of course, that'll require an OpenGL port such as GZDoom.

illuknisaa said:

1. I made this simple vent with a grate. I'm using "Breakable Glass" action to make the grate impassable unless it gets shot. My problem is that the grate texture stays the same. I'd like to have the texture removed or changed into "broken grate" texture. How do I do this?

Have you tried defining a custom switch in ANIMDEFS for use where the grating's located? I did something similar a few years ago using gunfire activated transparent doors.

He gave you download for the wad - now it should be trivial for you to find out how exactly he did it.

It's based on the DMapEdit transparent door on this tutorial page, though for reasons I can't recall right now I decided to use fast-lowering floors instead of doors, so the one point gap is at the ceiling instead of the floor.

I fixed the texture issue by just giving the lowering platform a solid black texture. I lose the trasparency which is no big deal as vents are suppose to be dark and the "remains" are still trasparent.

EDIT:

OK, that's a usable solution - but it's a little shame. You were close to the proper solution with a transparent texture, only if you used either mine or GreyGhost's suggestion.

Just an afterthought: The player might not realize that the grate is destroyable, anyway. When using this mechanic in an actual map, preferably introduce it / hint to it in some clear way, to let the player know he can destroy / open it.

I kinda want to keep vents as a "semi" secret. I currently have 5 vents in my map and most exit vent holes are pretty easy to spot and that alone should make the player curious. Also vents are not mandytory so the player is not forced to use vents at any point.

Anyways,

4. How do you import an animated 3d object to doom? (the spinning fan problem)

5. How do you make "stuff" active as soon as you load the map?
eg. a polyobject doing its' thing or pan floor texture?

6. In gzdoom what feature(s) requires a lot of performace? Is there any general optimization guide?

7. What are vavoom lights?

illuknisaa said:

4. How do you import an animated 3d object to doom? (the spinning fan problem)

Add the patches to your TEXTURE1 lump then define the animation sequence in ANIMDEFS. Basically, follow the example in that wad I posted.

GreyGhost said:

Add the patches to your TEXTURE1 lump then define the animation sequence in ANIMDEFS. Basically, follow the example in that wad I posted.

Doesn't that make an animated 2d texture? The modeldef link metroid gave seems to have everything I need.

While I was making some holding cells (with trasparent doors) I noticed that you could make the door sector as 3d platform and this would avoid the missing texture problems I had with transparent vents.

After experimenting with "breakeable glass" action I found out that I can make even better vents.

Instead of using floors that lower I can just use line action 49 (break glass) and setting proper flags I have now vents that are

-see through and don't make the "floor lower" -sound
-don't use sectors at all (can be put under water more easily etc.)
-can be activated from "backside"
-less buggy. (playing with brutal doom v19 caused odd visual glitches)
-really easy to set up

I don't have a specific wad where you can see this sick vent action but I've used them in my wad (wip, there one right at the begining so you dont need to travel far):
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/72688-my-first-map/