Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Rockstar bans PC GTA 5 mods [UPDATE: Apparently not]

Apparently, this is happening. Yep, that's right, no mods period. Of course, there's been huge backlash. What did they expect would happen? And why do this anyway? I hope it's not related to the paid-mods thing.

I should probably be feeling shock and disappointment, but I find myself indifferent, more than anything else. Long live DMA, the group that not only cared about home computers at all, but chose it as their primary platform.

So when's that next AAA crash coming?

UPDATE: Apparently lesser than initially thought.

I was interested in GTA V and it would have been the first GTA game I have bought since Vice City. But, this is the kind of policy that makes me swear off a publisher or developer for good. The fact that you would get banned for using a fov slider mod is a joke.

And this week's Internet games discussion topic is.... GTA V not allowing Mods! Monkeys gather your feces! Anyway with the online components I can see why.

I get banning online mods, but... SP mods? Is this a joke? Fuck them, I just say mod it however the fuck you want and never play in online mode. Screw this bullshit.

Reminds me all the more why I love Carmack, Romero, etc..

The whole point of getting the PC version of any game is so you can customize the installation and basically all the content if you want to. :/

GoatLord said:

Mods would do nothing but promote the game, how can this possibly be a bad thing?

Promotion wise, MODs can't compete with the millions of dollars in TV commercials.

I guess we better stop modding Doom as well?

You may not: rent, lease, modify, translate, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, or create derivative works based upon the Software.

You agree not to: Reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, or disassemble the Program, in whole or in part.

This appears in pretty much every EULA.

Interesting that they would be banning people from single player. I'm not too familiar with the game, but isn't it kind of always in multiplayer mode? As in stop from SP transfers into the MP world? If so, that could be why although if they're actually removing complete access to the game offline. Well, I guess that's what one gets for buying a game with DRM.

Why can't they just keep the multiplayer portion separate like games used to? Or otherwise why can't they just lock up the files of the multiplayer part only?

You agree that the Software will not be shipped, transferred or exported into any country in violation of the U.S. Export Administration Act and that you will not utilize, in any other manner, the Software in violation of any applicable law.

That's from the Id/Zenimax EULA. It weirds me out that American companies stand for that crap. It's anti-capitalist, anti-freedom, etc. I think there's a strong argument that we should sell so much to oppressive regimes that they can't run their countries without us. It's not like North Korea doesn't use Dell and HP computers anyway. They just buy them from China. American companies control the government in almost every other way and they won't fight that?

I probably get the portion where multiplayer is affected. But now, single player too? It's 20 fucking 15 and people are getting banned for single player modding (which has been active at least 22 years.)

It seems this year's gonna turn into corporate nightmare if bar can get lower than this.

Maybe they'll undo this absurd EULA ammendment if enough people complain about it, a la what happened with Bethesda and that paid Skyrim mods business. Banning online mods I can sort of understand, but banning mods in general goes against the spirit of owning a PC game.

These are... interesting times to be a PC gamer.

CorSair said:

It's 20 fucking 15 and people are getting banned for single player modding (which has been active at least 22 years.)

Actually, you can safely add another 10 years to that figure. Pinball Construction Set, the first official mod making tool, was released way back in 1983, and was soon followed by other releases like War Game Construction Kit, Adventure Construction Set, Racing Construction Set, and Boulder Dash Construction Kit (apparently developers weren't very original when it came to naming back then). It's quite possible there were unofficial tools even before that.

I'm glad I held off on buying it. Not that there probably won't be a workaround for this, but because I don't want to support companies enforcing this kind of policy.

I bought it for Xbox 360 when it came out. I was going to pick up GTA V for PC, in the event of a discount sale. But if you're not able to mod it, than there's no point.

EDIT: http://steamed.kotaku.com/grand-theft-auto-vs-confusing-mod-situation-1702613468

Apparently, they may only ban multi-player mods; which is understandable.

article said:

It’s likely that the truth lies somewhere in the middle—single-player mods are cool, but multiplayer mods aren’t—but nobody knows for sure.

Kontra Kommando said:

I bought it for Xbox 360 when it came out. I was going to pick up GTA V for PC, in the event of a discount sale. But if you're not able to mod it, than there's no point.

EDIT: http://steamed.kotaku.com/grand-theft-auto-vs-confusing-mod-situation-1702613468

Apparently, they may only ban multi-player mods; which is understandable.

Someone from an online publication I've never heard of got it wrong? Score one for Kotaku. Although the guy that wrote the article did write about Brutal Doom http://www.thinkcomputers.org/new-brutal-doom-v20-video-released-showing-blood-amount-setting-more/

geo said:

Someone from an online publication I've never heard of got it wrong? Score one for Kotaku. Although the guy that wrote the article did write about Brutal Doom http://www.thinkcomputers.org/new-brutal-doom-v20-video-released-showing-blood-amount-setting-more/

Looks like the author got it from this source, as indicated in the article:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rockstar-changes-eula-can-ban-players-for-modding-gta-v.html

Looks like its all based on interpretation. Also, it just talks about how people are seemingly pissed off, and negatively reviewing the game on steam for people being banned.

Personally i always loved playing GTA Series games without mods (Especially San Andreas) doesn't sound like a problem =D .

SYS said:

lol kotaku

Umm what ?

R*'s official line on the subject.

You know what? I totally understand this (also that original GTA map mod looks ace) - R* have put a lot of blood sweat and tears into the Online component and the last thing anyone wants is for it to be ruined by hackers (I heard one amusing tale of one guy running around the map with a minigun that shoots money at other players). I've run into the odd godmode arsehole myself (relatively few, thankfully), so if they can screw up those pricks' fun, that's fine by me.

I just wish there was wiggle room for some cosmetic mods for things like clothing items and weapon skins in MP, but I suppose they can't really account for what constitutes a skin or a script hack. All the'll see on the server is modified code, presumably.

But yeah, rumour control, SP mods are fine as it turns out.

Having said that ...

EDIT: ninja'd by BlackFish

Okay, that makes a lot more sense that SP modding isn't officially banned, even if the EULA did just get a contradictory (yet common) disclaimer added to it. I couldn't imagine that Rockstar would have any reason for banning people just for that, it'd be so counterproductive to them in so many ways.

But, the reports that people are getting banned for single player are troubling. Why not work with people who got banned after the update who claim to have only modded single player (and there's not enough evidence to pin any MP wrongdoings)? Just let them off the hook, do another update that keeps the SP and MP games quite a bit more separate, and continue banning anyone who mods the MP side.

It still sucks, but it's better that this problem stems from incompetence and not malice. The customer service, I have less sympathy for. Don't punish the customer for the company's mistake!

Avoozl said:

Why can't they just keep the multiplayer portion separate like games used to? Or otherwise why can't they just lock up the files of the multiplayer part only?

Because billion dollar companies don't think like you and me.

Leaving out an option for cosmetic mods seems like a bad idea in games designed for people to interact online. Making sure multiplayer doesn't have car-shooting guns is just common sense if there are only centralized servers. Reasons I hate centralized servers. Off-the-wall multiplayer mods make games hilarious.