Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylanblitz

SLADE 3 or XWE

Heres another question for you guys whats the difference between slade 3 and xwe, btw which one is better

Definitely SLADE3. Let me elaborate:

-XWE is no longer being developed, whereas SLADE3 is.
-SLADE3 has a lot more features.
-XWE has a nasty habit of completely corrupting wads on occasion.

So yeah, don't use XWE.

XWE is more intuitive and easier to use imo. But Slade is a lot more powerful. I use XWE most of the time because I can do stuff in it faster but maybe that's because I don't know Slade well enough.

I started with XWE, and it f*cked up my wads several times. So piece of advice, don't use it!

And unlike Memfis, I find Slade more intuitive than XWE.

On top of this Slade is pre-built for Windows and OSX, and it easily compiled for Linux using the provided tarball. Additionally the source code is easily findable on Github. XWE on the other hand is only pre-built for Windows and I personally cannot find any source code and the only hints to source code downloads I can find are dead links. Of course this is only an issue if you are worried about cross-platform compatibility.

Altazimuth said:

XWE on the other hand is only pre-built for Windows and I personally cannot find any source code and the only hints to source code downloads I can find are dead links.

Here's one that works

A word of warning, XWE is coded in Delphi 5 and there's apparently a bunch of external dependencies you'll need to track down.

XWE needs to be buried and nuked forever, it's like sticking to DEU when Doombuilder exists.

esselfortium said:

One is a genius and the other's insane.

Together, they lump wads.

I've worked with XWE for many years, and never corrupted any wads with it. That said, it's far from being foolproof, and it's pretty easy to fuck things up if you don't know what you're doing.

It's also buggy.

On the other hand, if I need to compile a texture pack out of a bunch of images, I can do it in a matter of seconds in XWE (plus the time it takes for the program to actually process the files). In SLADE - click-click-click-clickety-click...

Back then, XWE (before I knew about SLADE 3), was only good for ENDOOM screens until I found ENDOOMER.Exe (DOS executable)

So, I'd recommend SLADE 3.

Yes, I did use that ever since I first started mapping in 2012. I no longer since I mastered the tools of SLADE 3.

I prefer SLADE3 now, but I used to use XWE. XWE is so much easier to use but TWICE it has fucked up my WAD completely, so SLADE3 because it is more secure. :)

The main trouble with XWE is that it can modify the WAD being examined without letting you know.

Its main advantage over SLADE is that it allows direct map lump editing while displaying them as tables, rather than just in hex. This is great for quick linedef/sector (but not THINGS, it always assumes Hexen format for it) edits when you need to change just one thing and leave everything else (in particular NODES) untouched.

SLADE 3 really could use that functionality.

Never_Again said:

The main trouble with XWE is that it can modify the WAD being examined without letting you know.

Depends on the settings.

Da Werecat said:

On the other hand, if I need to compile a texture pack out of a bunch of images, I can do it in a matter of seconds in XWE (plus the time it takes for the program to actually process the files). In SLADE - click-click-click-clickety-click...

Heh?

Select all, right-click, add to textures.

XWE:

1. Click on the "Patches" filter.
2. "Entry" -> "Load".
3. Choose your patches.
4. Wait for the program to lag everything in place.

SLADE:

1. Create markers manually, enter their names.
2. "Archive" -> "Import Files".
3. Choose your patches.
4. Select said patches, "Convert Gfx To..." -> "Convert all" (if the settings are right).
5. Right click -> "Gfx" -> "Add to Patch Table".
6. It seems we don't have any texture definition tables in this wad. Would you like to create or import them?
7. Right click -> "Gfx" -> "Add to TEXTUREx". Whew!

I guess it's a price of flexibility.

^You can omit step 5 and add to TEXTUREx directly. And IMO, it's a good price for flexibility.

Da Werecat said:

XWE:

2. "Entry" -> "Load".

Even easier, you can double click on "Patches" with the same effect I think.

Da Werecat said:

XWE:

2. "Entry" -> "Load".
3. Choose your patches.
4. Wait for the program to lag everything in place.

You forgot one step:

5. Save and close wad, then open it in Doom Builder: "Your wad is corrupted".

... only trolling, no offence. ;)

If a program is as dangerous to the data it works on as XWE any discussion about ease of use is moot.

My clear recommendation is not to use it, it's far too easy to lose data with XWE due to seemingly harmless operations going wrong.

Considering how many years I've been working with XWE (only recently switching to SLADE, because I wanted something stable for a change), I doubt that luck has anything to do with it.

Considering that I managed to trash 2 WADs with it in very short time, I'd say the danger is there, it depends on the user's workflow.

dunno, is it just me? I use XWE and have experienced corruption, but it's always the same corruption, like, it specifically renames the TEXTURE2 SP_DUDE6 entry to TEKWALL5 for no reason whatsoever

I will never understand this incredible feature