Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Which doom game was Half-Life inspired by??

Which Doom was Half-Life inspired by?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Doom was Half-Life inspired by?

• Doom 1
    • Doom 2
    • Doom 64

Seeing the success of the original Doom is what lead Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington to leave Microsoft and form Valve. Gabe's role in developing the Doom95 source port is also widely known.

However, it would be hard to say if any one Doom was the sole inspiration for the general development of Half-Life. Dario Casali, still a level designer at Valve to this day, did much of his work in Doom 2, of course eventually leading to Final Doom. Harry Teasley worked on the Midway console ports including Doom 64. Doom's inspiration on the Half-Life series even carried over to the Gearbox Software expansion packs as Randy Pitchford used to make Doom 2 maps under the name DuvalMagic.

It would be more accurate to say that Doom as a whole inspired all of Half-Life (if not the lineage of all first person shooters to come) rather than just a single entry in the series.

If it wasn't for its "innovations", Half Life would be 3D Doom clone. That's all it would of been.

I'd wager it was all three, to a certain degree, but as far as I'm concerned, HL feels very different to Doom. It's like a modern metal guitarist being inspired by Hendrix - the seed was planted, but grew into something very different and good in it's own way.

Half Life has atmosphere, but not a dark moody atmosphere like Doom 64. Textures are generally bright, which reminds me of Doom 1 techbases if anything from Doom games at all. So, Doom 1.

nxGangrel said:

If it wasn't for its "innovations", Half Life would be 3D Doom clone. That's all it would of been.

Except that it featured New gameplay technics and systems ... etc
Basically only the Storyline is inspired by Doom (Space,teleporting and other stuff)
(Hates indian movies)

I cant even find or see a resemblance between doom and half-life at all, next to shooting a gun... So if it was inspired by doom they probably thought ; lets shoot things.

And so they made a unique game with its own story and environment using an engine derived from the Quake engine, long after doom started to fade from the mainstream media.

I would have to read something from the developers before i would even try to go the 'doom' inspired route.

The plot is clearly influenced by the original Doom, just made more "realistic" with aliens instead of demons, facility on Earth instead of Phobos, etc.

nxGangrel said:

It wouldn't be Half-Life?

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

The plot is clearly influenced by the original Doom, just made more "realistic" with aliens instead of demons, facility on Earth instead of Phobos, etc.

Not to mention XEN Is just Deimos Somehow .

@DMGUYDZ64. Isn't that what people would include in "innovative"? The developers also wanted the game to be like Doom beyond the plot (at least somewhat).

@Da Werecat. Duh

@Piper Maru. Nope! just the Half without the Life.

nxGangrel said:

@DMGUYDZ64. Isn't that what people would include in "innovative"? The developers also wanted the game to be like Doom beyond the plot (at least somewhat).

Yeah it's like "Modernised Doom" , With few new chapters (HECU Attack chapter,Blackops ..etc)

Seeing that it was a Doom clone, I'd say it was inspired by Doom. When did you ever hear of a "Doom 2 clone" or a "Doom 64 clone"?

Maes said:

Seeing that it was a Doom clone, I'd say it was inspired by Doom. When did you ever hear of a "Doom 2 clone" or a "Doom 64 clone"?

What if Life-Half is a Doom 3 clone?

Maes said:

Seeing that it was a Doom clone, I'd say it was inspired by Doom.

Corrected : Seeing that it was Doom, i'd say it was Doom .

No, we are the Doom clones.

Spoiler

Think about it: Doom is in first person....our life is in first persor...

@Piper Maru.
@Marnetmar.

No no you idiots, Doom 4 is inspired by Half Life 4: What's a three?

@Maes. Never tried first persor. must be the shit.

nxGangrel waited. The lights in dingy room blinked and sparked above him. There were Doom clones in the base. He didn't see them but expected them for months. His warnings to John Romero went ignored, it was far to late for now anyways. nxGangrel was a green marine for a couple of months. When he was a newbie, he watched Gordon Freeman crawling through airvents and said to Gabe Newell, "HALF-LIFE IS TEH DOOM CLONE WANNABE!!!" and Gabe Newell, atop his mountain of money, "No nxGangrel, YOU WILL BE KILL BY BARNEY CALHOUN!" But now in Doomworld space station of UAC, there were Doom clones.

"NO MUST BASH TEH HALF-LIFE CUZ IT NOT AS GOOD AS DOOM!!!" roared nxGangrel.

Thhan Gabe Newell exclaimed, " No nxGangrel, you are John Romero's lucious, beautiful hair". And than nxGangrel was a clone.

Calling something a Doom clone isn't saying much since it was the original term for first person shooter. Better to be a Doom clone than a Call of Duty clone.