Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dt_

First doom map in over a decade... (repaired and updated)

Hi everyone!

UPDATED: Fixed various bugs and texturing issues (you will need to run cc4-tex with this wad)

Got back into mapping after a 12 year break, with my last release being 3 maps in CC1

So here is my produce, it's as yet unnamed. Here are some screenshots:

would appreciate any feedback, comments and further advice

A little bit about the wad:

-it uses cc4-tex, but I think I've managed to include the textures used within the wad so it should run without loading cc4-tex separately
-there are a couple of missing textures (I'm trying to track them down)
-it is map01 of a possible episode of currently unknown length (don't reckon I'll be able to make more than about 8-10 maps)
-it took round about 36 hours (spread over a few weeks) from pen touching paper to what you see here. I'm hoping to speed up the more practice I get with DB2
-I mapped it in doom in doom2 format, so all being well this should be 100% vanilla unless there are too many visible items/sectors/linedefs
-it does not have any skill modes (currently mapped for UV) nor any deathmatch starts or coop compatibility (this will be included for final release)

If you do decide to have a go and write it up here, can you please tell me how much health, ammo and armour you finish up with

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr006g67t7ixpe0/dt_map01.wad?dl=1

Thanks guys, enjoy yourselves!

There are no textures inside the wad. You have probably saved the map into your texture wad using "Save Map As" instead of "Save Map Into", which erased (overwritten) the wad. Or you have been using your texture wad only as an external resource in your mapping editor all the time.

No problem, I will just run this with cc4-tex.

Oh balls. You guys will need to run the textures with this then until I can figure out how to get them in the wad without including the full texture pack with the wad

The map looks interesting, but here are some bugs I've found:

Despite loading cc4-tex.wad alongside (and in ZDoom), lots of missing textures. Though it's still a lot less missing textures than when loading without cc4-tex.

For some mysterious reason, GZDoom hated sector #305 and failed to render it at all. It was fine in ZDoom. I should try again with a newer devbuild to see if the problem still happens. Eternity also fails to render it, despite not being a hardware renderer. Eternity also creates HOMs in sector 281.

Is it possible to get out of the berserk secret without jumping? I'm afraid we'll get stuck in that crate in vanilla.

I found the lift tagged 1 (sector 864) to be completely useless. There's a switch to lower it to the ground at the bottom, and another to raise it at the top. Consequence: you cannot use it to go up when you are down. I'd replace the effect on line 434 by 123 instead of 60, so that it turns into a lower-wait-raise instead of just lower. It'd make it useful.

Same thing for line 708, so that the bridge to the blue floor area does not need to be repeatedly reraised.

Speaking of blue floor area, the imp closer (sector 884, opened when tag 23 is activated) is open far too late to be useful, because it's opened by walking through a secret area you can only reach once the exit is open, and there's no real reason to backtrack to the two imps except "huh, looks like I missed a couple monsters".

Line 660, when you leave that blue area with the imp closet, has an effect on sector tag 19 -- but there's no sector tagged 19.

Line 1351 has an effect on tag 0. That's a recipe for trouble when activated in a non-ZDoom source port.

In my first playthrough, (the one I made seriously), I finished with 100% kills, 100% items, 75 secrets (didn't find the one you have to shoot a hidden switch), with 100% health and around 70% armor.

The imp closet was meant to open when the crates open with the shotgun guys, think I've got my tags crossed. Also meant to raise the sector height in the berserk crate, which I've forgotten to do. Will investigate that mysterious sector tomorrow. With the textures- I just remember using whatever textures you wanted and then saving, and the wad would automatically include the textures within it that you used- there's a mixture of final doom and cc4 textures in there, and I've got quite confused with the process of importing textures into the wad. I've another thread open in the editing forum with some advice for me. Will need to re read it and sort something out

dt_ said:

-I mapped it in doom in doom2 format, so all being well this should be 100% vanilla unless there are too many visible items/sectors/linedefs

Not really. If you make a map in Doom2 format and only test the map in a ZDoom based port, you cannot be sure that it will work flawlessly in non-ZDoom ports (like PrBoom-plus -complevel 2). Particularly not if you are not familiar with peculiarities connected with compatibility.

There are so-called "zdoomisms" - design choices that work in ZDoom, but break maps when played in less advanced ports, even though only vanilla features were used. For example, ZDoom allows you to press use through walkover lines if there's a switch behind them, but Boom and vanilla don't - so they might break, even though you've (as the author) successfully playtested them in ZDoom. Another problem is zero-tagged S1/SR/W1/WR/G1/GR activated doors or lifts - in ZDoom, the effect will be applied to the back side of the linedef, but in Boom and vanilla, all sectors with tag 0 in the entire map will be affected - unless a D1/DR door action was used. Another problem is ZDoom's tolerance to PNG graphics, imperfectly included custom textures... And notably, multiple TEXTURE1 entries. Classic ports only load the very last TEXTURE1, which might overwrite textures defined in the IWAD. They must be also redefined in the new TEXTURE1 in order to make them work - all official texture packs including cc4-tex are made this way.

I've got so much to learn. I actually use an old version of skulltag to play through, is this based on zdoom?

scifista42 said:

Yes. By the way, Skulltag is a dead port nowadays. Get its direct successor Zandronum. But preferably, get PrBoom-plus for proper testing of classic game compatible wads.

And Chocorenderlimits if you're going for full vanilla compatibility :^)

For some ridiculous reason, the download button is 'greyed out' on my end.. Like, it's just unclickable. I'd love to try this as the screenshots look great, and it's always interesting to see mappers come back after a long hiatus. :)

Doomkid said:

For some ridiculous reason, the download button is 'greyed out' on my end.. Like, it's just unclickable.

That's a common thing about Dropbox links I see on the forum, and it's fixed really easily: When you're on the page with an unclickable link, change the very last character in the url from 0 to 1 and press enter to reload the page. The file will download automatically.

Sorry guys, first time I've used Dropbox aswell. Will sort those issues and upload a replacement tonight

I've managed to fix this now, using the correct doom2 IWAD. CC4-TEX will still need to be run. Also have a working download link!

Again, if you play, will you let me know how much health/armour you finish with and how much ammo you have left.

Thanks!!

I start the map, lower the first barrier, go out of the start spot, turn left, and see a gigantic missing texture just like before (it's the pillar on the left). All other CC4 textures display fine, though.

I played the map! 100% kills 0% items (lol) 75% secrets. I ended with 36% health and 56% armor, 80 shells and... I think like 120/140 bullets.
The map is very cool! There are lots of nice things that make it interesting and all the color variations make it very pleasant to look at. I really missed the berserk pack there, personally I would have done all the map by punching. Imo the low density of the monsters make this map perfect for punching it all the way.

Playing through the fixed version:
13:59, 100%/100%/100%, finished with 94 shells, 206 bullets, 55% health and 55% armor.

Most of the health I lost was due to the hell knight that teleports right next to the secret lift, it managed to hitch a ride with me; before that I had a pretty good run overall, not dropping below 75% health until basically the end.

From the screen shots alone, it looks like you're a great level designer. The level looks detailed enough and has got some cool architecture.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I asked about the armour/health/ammo totals to balance the rest of the wad for continuous play. Learnt a lot from this, and am well into map02, shouldn't be too long before I've got something else for you guys to play that's a bit more challenging!