Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Fascinating interview with professor on consciousness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUVot-4GPM

So this guy has been studying microtubules, and believes that they may hold the key to understanding consciousness on a deeper level. He even goes so far to claim that the afterlife, death and reincarnation become scientifically explainable if his theory (which is that microtubules respond to anesthesia, thereby exhibiting low-level consciousness) is true. It's a very interesting talk and challenges current scientific paradigms regarding the computational view of consciousness. I for one am excited about what the future holds for this field of study.

Hellbent and GoatLord take turns posting this thread. I'm rooting for Hellbent next, 3 to 1 odds

Does it involve rectally-installable computers?

Well, no surprise that, even though I didn't rant or rave about any sort of technological predictions, I'm of course being ridiculed for sharing something scientifically of interest to me. Okay.

Go drink some juice, DooM_RO.

Your turtles are hard, and lumpy.

My cats are soft, and luxurious.

drug induced self-important ramblings on the nature and exploration of inner space, brought to you by the misfiring synapses of a tedious post-hippy douchebag and the letters L,S and D.

You are alone in the universe. There is no God. Rewiring your brain until it becomes a psuedo-intellectual hugbox will not change anything.

Goatlord is love. Goatlord is life. Goatlord is the new Albert Einstein.

GoatLord said:
challenges current scientific paradigms regarding the computational view of consciousness.

just curious, was that "computational" view somewhere else than in your head?

Since this is not John Carmack, I won't bother.
(And the after life does exist, you playthrough it in 'Inferno')

The afterlife is actually God Seating you in a cubicle where you offer tech support to Earth for an eternity.

Pfft, and you thought tech support came from India.

Clonehunter said:

The afterlife is actually God Seating you in a cubicle where you offer tech support to Earth for an eternity.

Where the queue is full of calls and nobody answers because they're too busy playing Doom. Jesus died for our Service Level Agreements.

Bloodshedder said:

oh look it's this thread again

Why didn't you hell it immediately? GoatLord is just a nutty broken record.

Doomworld is just such an accepting place, isn't it heart warming to see someone get berated for sharing something harmless? Oh, it just makes me all tingly inside!

Doomkid said:

Doomworld is just such an accepting place, isn't it heart warming to see someone get berated for sharing something harmless? Oh, it just makes me all tingly inside!

Perhaps you should look at his previous threads to see why this forum is so sick of his nonsense.

Woolie Wool said:

this forum is so sick of his nonsense.

Everybody on the forum speaks for himself, so should you. Speaking for myself, I am not sick of it, I find many (up to most) of GoatLord's ideas interesting to think about (at least), I liked that he shared this video (as I've found the video interesting), and I do think that GoatLord doesn't deserve the treatment he gets by many posters here.

scifista42 said:

Speaking for myself, I am not sick of it, I find many (up to most) of GoatLord's ideas interesting to think about (at least), I liked that he shared this video (as I've found the video interesting), and I do think that GoatLord doesn't deserve the treatment he gets by many posters here.

It's all pseudo-scientific crap that anybody with a bit of fantasy can think of, there is no way to dispute any of those claims just as there is no way to proove them, so they have no merit to them whatsoever from scientific point of view besides keeping junkies busy. Yes, anaesthesia may be induced by affecting microtubules while other anesthetics work by inhibiting noradrenaline reuptake or blocking sodium channels, some of the most ancient ones that we used to inhale work by disrupting physical chemistry factors of cellular membranes, but bringing some deeper meaning into basic pharmacological knowledge is nothing but pointless blabber.

j4rio said:

It's all pseudo-scientific crap that anybody with a bit of fantasy can think of, there is no way to dispute any of those claims just as there is no way to proove them, so they have no merit to them whatsoever from scientific point of view besides keeping junkies busy. Yes, anaesthesia may be induced by affecting microtubules while other anesthetics work by inhibiting noradrenaline reuptake or blocking sodium channels, some of the most ancient ones that we used to inhale work by disrupting physical chemistry factors of cellular membranes, but bringing some deeper meaning into basic pharmacological knowledge is nothing but pointless blabber.

Pretty much all science is pseudo, no one knows what the fuck is going about much of anything. Evolution, a theory. Creation, a theory. Gravity, a theory. Quantum Mechanics, a theory. Time, a theory created by humans to make sense of some weird shit we don't even understand, like every other ridiculous theory we create and take seriously. I'll take Hameroff ideas more seriously, considering his credentials, than a bunch of unenlightened half-wits that have no idea what they're talking about and insult over something that makes them think a bit. The poor fuck that discovered germs went literally insane because no one believed him.