Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

How to run Winter's furry with better performance?

I understand its a pretty hefty mod, but are there specific settings in GZdoom that I can turn off or lower to get the WAD running with higher performance?

LOL! People coming here becuase they will think that there's actually a furry mod.
Anyway you can try to lower the resolution and the graphic effects settings, and/or use basic ones. Though the result will depend on your pc specifics, maybe it wont change anything.

Disable snowing if you haven't already. Winter's Fury binds a key for that. You can (probably?) find it at the bottom of Customize Controls settings in options.

I think the guys over at the Zdoom forums have a better understanding for stuff like this.

Disabling dynamic lights, shadows and reducing screen resolution improve fps greatly.
Try that, if you're willing to sacrifice good graphics for good and smooth gameplay, that is.

Breezeep said:

I think the guys over at the Zdoom forums have a better understanding for stuff like this.

Wad optimization or furries? :P

scifista42 said:

LOL @ furry! It's Winter's Fury!

Yeah I just had a great laugh with this.

Edit: On topic, WF has a lot of BSP rendering and sprites at once with the view from what I remember. See if there's any options like Scifista42 mentioned.

Reducing lag in Winter's Fury is not an easy task. Most of the framerate drop comes from the size of areas combined with portals that span most of the map. Also MAP07B which can just lag to death after a while for some reason.

The main two things you can do have already been mentioned, which are disabling some of the extra graphics in the options menu (the torches and the snow), or reducing resolution (not confident in this one, but others have said it improved their framerate).

If you're getting unplayable lag on the early maps (MAP01, MAP02), then you won't be in for much luck later. If you're having problems on just a few of the more expansive maps (MAP05A, MAP07A, etc) most of them only lag in certain areas or don't really have any gameplay at all so it isn't the biggest issue.

Hope this helps.

is anyone actually making Winter's Furry? do I have to force a community project?