Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Pedantic KDITD Texture Pack

Many variations of KDITD textures and flats for your comfortable mapping of KDITD style techbases. The player might not even notice that they're custom textures.

Highlights:

-72 unit tall compatible locked door trims!
-64-tall STARTAN!
-STARTAN gradients of all colors and heights!
-Dim nukage flat + alternative nukage falls!
-Numerous custom switches out of stock patches!
-90-degree rotated versions of flats!

Highlights #2:

-BRN midtextures with bigger holes in them
-BRN walls with improved vertical or horizontal tiling
-BRN walls with UAC signs
-COMP variations
-walls with FLAMPs on them
-stairs of unlimited height
-STONE walls with improved alignment and tiling
-Medium dark grey flat
-simple TLITE variations (red light on brown ceiling, white light on dark ceiling)

Other stuff:

-fixed BIGDOOR1
-mirrored start door
-vertically tiling DOORSTOP and SUPPORT2
-vertical SHAWN2 (with and without UAC sign, 64 or 128 wide)
-32-wide blue LITE
-non-tiling white and blue LITEs
-192 unit tall PLAT1 (needs limit-removing port to display properly!)
-more variations of SHAWN*
-64 tall TLAMP variations (white and blue)
-POISON and RADIATION signs on various walls

Download: https://www.sendspace.com/file/fjsd6v

Note: Currently in will only work in Doom 1 mapsets, due to the TEXTURE1/PNAMES structure being based on Doom 1's one. If you want to use this pack with Doom 2, you need to copy the textures from my TEXTURE1 to your own D2-compatible TEXTURE1; or you need to wait for me to create a ready-made Doom 2 version, which I'll probably eventually do.

UPDATE May 14th: Now both Doom 1 and Doom 2 versions are included in the zip.

UPDATE May 16th: Slight improvement of textures with UAC logos.

UPDATE May 21st: Added new flats: Centered hexagonal FLOOR tiles for better alignment with grid, several other flats with improved tiling, and medium dark grey flat + unicolored COMP-shade flat + their variants with TLITE lights.

UPDATE May 22nd: Added 3 new variants of common BROWN textures + extended DIRT switch + changed the UAC logo on the COMP background into a SHAWN-esque one.

Credits: idSoftware - base of the textures. NiGHTMARE, Cage, DrDoctor, authors of RETRES.wad - some textures were taken from their packs. Myself - most of the texture edits.

Feel free to use the pack for your purposes. Also feel free to tell me what you think, particularly whether you're satisfied with the pack, and if there are any problems to be fixed.

It looks really nice to make something with a classic E1 style while allowing to give it a more personal touch! I think that maybe just 1-2 more variations of the BROWNs would fit very well in this pack.

Very cool pack, lots of interesting things here. :)

I particularly like all the switch texture extentions, switches are always awkward to tile with the other textures when mapping with stock textures, so it's a very good idea.

Well done scifista!

Updated link with both Doom 1 and Doom 2 versions of the pack:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qf3b6u

The Doom 2 version contains the same textures as the Doom 1 version plus a couple of D1-specific textures. Only several patch/texture names are different, and (of course) the TEXTURE1/PNAMES contents are different (each one accustomized to the respective IWAD).

I've looked at them. IMHO the ones with the shawnesque logo on non-metal support (1BRUAC* series) don't look right; I guess doing the same thing with paint instead of a metal plate might work better.

Some nice stuff here! I have to agree with Gez on this, though:

Gez said:

I've looked at them. IMHO the ones with the shawnesque logo on non-metal support (1BRUAC* series) don't look right; I guess doing the same thing with paint instead of a metal plate might work better.

Paint wouldn't look right to me, because I wanted to stay very loyal to known KDITD patterns and colors. A recolor would scream "custom texture", whereas the SHAWN plate is at least something the player knows from another texture, therefore not so out of place in KDITD. I'll try and see if I can reshade or mildly outline the plate to make it look more natural on those brown backgrounds, though.

I eventually obeyed your advice - thanks for it, by the way. So, do you think it looks better now? (left = old, right = new)

The lack of antialiasing around the highly-contrasted edges is pretty bad. The AA is admittedly a bit on the chunky side even on the original SHAWN1 texture, but it's less noticeable there because there's less contrast with the backdrop. Here where the logo contrasts heavily against many of the backdrops and there's no AA at all, it's pretty yucky. There's also a stray pixel on the right edge of the arrow between the two circles.

What should I do about it? I'm not sure if an attempt at antialiasing on a surface that represents paint would look natural. Besides, I'm lame at advanced graphic editing beyond simple recoloring and making collages out of existing textures. Besides, I thought that simpler = better, considering that the goal was only to create natural complements to KDITD textures. Do you think otherwise? Do the textures look hopeless enough to not include them at all for the better? I thought they would not be perfect, but usable. And sure, I will fix the couple of stray pixels in the logo.

I'll just be straight and say that neither of them are particularly good.
Best you could do would be to make a blank mask for the logo and apply it as a layer mask with a blend filter that desaturates the background texture to be gray. That way they would actually blend with the background texture.

And yea. Please calc it with vectors instead so you can get some proper anti aliasing.

Kristus is on point.

scifista42 said:

What should I do about it? I'm not sure if an attempt at antialiasing on a surface that represents paint would look natural. Besides, I'm lame at advanced graphic editing beyond simple recoloring and making collages out of existing textures. Besides, I thought that simpler = better, considering that the goal was only to create natural complements to KDITD textures. Do you think otherwise? Do the textures look hopeless enough to not include them at all for the better? I thought they would not be perfect, but usable. And sure, I will fix the couple of stray pixels in the logo.

Antialiasing is pretty standard technique and becomes more and more important in lower resolution graphics, where the alternative is big jagged pixel edges. The AA in the stock SHAWN1 texture is rough and kind of crappy (all the SHAWN-based textures have a very Programmer Art look to them) but it's present. I can't picture these textures making it to the release version of the game.

Beyond that, they just don't look like they're painted on, they just look like a graphic pasted in front of another graphic, because their shading doesn't match what's behind them. They should show the same lines of wear and tear (if present) as the material they're painted on, and should be affected by the highlights and shadows between the COMPSPAN panels. For additional effect there could be some wear and tear of the paint itself, with some random variance in opacity due to parts fading, chipping off, or not being evenly applied across the uneven surface.

scifista42 said:

Do the textures look hopeless enough to not include them at all for the better?

Honestly? Yes. Those logos feel incredibly out of place for something that's supposed to be a faithful texture pack.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm afraid this is the peak of my graphic editing skill: (right = new)

No antialiasing, but now the shading roughly matches the background in all textures except the COMP one, and the stray pixels were fixed. Yes, it is a programmer art. I still think it is usable for a KDITD texture as much as the default SHAWN logo is, not out of place. I'm obviously biased, but I honestly think it looks OK for the purpose I want it for.

Just some fucking around.

First one.

3d sign without a background. Can be used anywhere.

Accidental Bukkake.

Painted by an adolescent Missourian.

Straight up paint on the wall.

It's excellent, but I'm looking for textures with convincing KDITD vibe, in an art style that naturally fits the rest of KDITD texture set and overall spirit, not really an upgrade like these fancy plastic or sprayed logos. In this particular project, I prefer simplicity over awesomeness.

EDIT: Version 3, with the new logo textures by myself, imperfect as they are. https://www.sendspace.com/file/kkl7sr

New version: https://www.sendspace.com/file/pnzrmn

I've added several new flats: Centered hexagonal FLOOR tiles for better alignment with grid, several other flats with improved tiling, and medium dark grey flat + unicolored COMP-shade flat + their variants with TLITE lights.

Also, here is a proof of concept picture. I think the logos look more than OK, and that's why I'm going to keep them this way.

I love small twists on classic textures/flats. These will be useful in a future project with proper credit given. The project is in its infancy stages (only 4 maps).

I think d2reload.wad had a lot of great twists on the classic texture/flat stock. It is similar to what you are doing here, but with a focus on Doom 2's resources.

IMHO what you made looks pretty good scifista. "I wouldn't shake a stick at it." an English expression rf` your stuff looks quite snazzy as well.

Big bump, I know, but did anybody manage to get the latest version of this texture pack before the sendspace link died? The version scifista put on /idgames (Parallel Phobos Pack (pptex.zip)) seems to be from before this thread and is missing some of the nice stuff mentioned here.

Looks good, @Mad Butcher! Thanks for the fresh link. Interestingly, there's a lot that's in the Parallel Phobos Pack that isn't in the Pedantic KDitD one. It's a shame we've not seen scifista42 for a while...

Thanks also to you, @Gez for getting the word out.