Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Why does doomguys' armor expose his stomach?

Someone posted some art in the facebook group, which reminded me of the cover art. This seems very impractical. My (real-world) guess is that with the helmet etc, doomguy wouldn't look masculine enough to appeal to gamers (ignoring the fact that it was originally shareware not in stores).

If you look more closely at the art, you'll see it's because it's been ripped out by demon claws. Same for one of his thighs.

Note that the fellow marine coming to the rescue has his own uniform intact.

(I remember some people speculating that the player is actually the marine running to the rescue, because the one front and center is boned.)

Memfis said:

fan service for the female fans

I was correct when i said " DOOM fits all flavours " :

Gez said:

If you look more closely at the art, you'll see it's because it's been ripped out by demon claws. Same for one of his thighs.

People musf understand this fact, And always try to cover his stomach when trying to draw him (Or design a model/sprite)

Doomguy has been sexually objectified by this depiction. I find this highly offensive.

invictius said:

Someone posted some art in the facebook group, which reminded me of the cover art. This seems very impractical. My (real-world) guess is that with the helmet etc, doomguy wouldn't look masculine enough to appeal to gamers (ignoring the fact that it was originally shareware not in stores).

A better question is, why does the stomach region have cloth and not metal like the rest of the armor? Won't using metal be a lot more practical considering the rest of the armor is made of the same metal and the marines can walk around in ti quite easily?

Never did trust that marine in the background.

"Heeeeeyyy! You left your good shirt back at the barracks!!!"

Is Doom Guy the most problematic character of all time?

First of he's white, so Doom is racist because it's excluding POC. Secondly he's a CIS Man so Doom is both sexist and transphobic. We are never given any indication that he's gay so he's also homophobic. He is clearly a very fit man so Doom also is ablist and fat shames. We never see him having sex so Doom is also slut shamming. His fit military body also is forcing male sexuality on everyone who plays and because he's killing demons from hell he's forcing western judeo-christian views on the world through imperial patriarchy, he's also killing demons with guns without trial so Doom is serial killer enabling.

There is not a single line of Doom's code that is not hate speech or oppression. I am so triggered right now.

Makes you wonder what the depiction would be if we had the technology in more enlightened, less purist times...

Tarnsman said:

First of he's white, so Doom is racist because it's excluding POC. Secondly he's a CIS Man so Doom is both sexist and transphobic. We are never given any indication that he's gay so he's also homophobic. He is clearly a very fit man so Doom also is ablist and fat shames. We never see him having sex so Doom is also slut shamming. His fit military body also is forcing male sexuality on everyone who plays and because he's killing demons from hell he's forcing western judeo-christian views on the world through imperial patriarchy, he's also killing demons with guns without trial so Doom is serial killer enabling.

There is not a single line of Doom's code that is not hate speech or oppression. I am so triggered right now.

Now, it's hard for me not to see the Demons/Barons/Devils/whatever as ravenous female fans, with expressions of pure lust on their faces. Why, look, the hand grabbing Doomguy's forearm looks more like a nicely manicured female hand grabbing the object of her passion, as she licks her demonic lips with anticipation! Even the look in the eyes of the demons is more like passion/desire, than aggression.

And isn't Doomguys' pose reminiscent of a rockstar with his guitar, surrounded by lusty groupies? Hmm.....

raymoohawk said:

actually the guy running in the back is the doom guy

What if Doomguy is like the clone/storm troopers of star wars.... each one is a clone?

Tarnsman said:

ow my eyes just rolled out of my head

Zulk-RS said:

A better question is, why does the stomach region have cloth and not metal like the rest of the armor? Won't using metal be a lot more practical considering the rest of the armor is made of the same metal and the marines can walk around in ti quite easily?

My guess it's some sort of megacloth like on his pants, because metal/superrubberplastic like on the breastplate would limit his ability to sit down comfortably or bend over to pick up items.

Tarnsman said:

[insanity]

Are you implying that Tom was fired for being an SJW? :P

Buckshot said:

What if Doomguy is like the clone/storm troopers of star wars.... each one is a clone?

That would explain co-op, the infinite lives, and all of the spinoff episodes. It's never the same Doomguy, just an expendable clone of the same fast running beefed up brute. His nervous system must be wired up to receive commands from remote operators! And somehow, they all seem to share the same consciousness. Dreams reliving the same situation over and over (demos), experiencing up to three other marines' conscious experiences (co-op spy).

And hey, isn't it a little strange that the UAC does weapons research as part of the military industrial complex and these demon invasions keep happening? And they always send in these Doomguy clones with fancy weapons and strategically placed explosive toxic barrels to clean up dumb and predictable monsters? I mean, the environments are set up more for combat than actual usability. Maybe the reason you can never get to the offices is because they're actually locked off and doing fine.

I mean, hell, what if the UAC are the ones outfitting the demons with cybernetic technology? Maybe they've got some kind of agreement. Or maybe the demons are genetic creations of the UAC? Who knows?

Tarnsman said:

[Paragraph of common bullshit]

You just entered the mind of every mouth breathing schizophrenic feminists/other kind of nutty radical. Great job.

@invictius. The first time I played Doom, I didn't notice it was ripped. I always thought that was a design choice by the developers for the armor in game.

Sodaholic said:

That would explain co-op, the infinite lives, and all of the spinoff episodes. It's never the same Doomguy, just an expendable clone of the same fast running beefed up brute. His nervous system must be wired up to receive commands from remote operators! And somehow, they all seem to share the same consciousness. Dreams reliving the same situation over and over (demos), experiencing up to three other marines' conscious experiences (co-op spy).

And hey, isn't it a little strange that the UAC does weapons research as part of the military industrial complex and these demon invasions keep happening? And they always send in these Doomguy clones with fancy weapons and strategically placed explosive toxic barrels to clean up dumb and predictable monsters? I mean, the environments are set up more for combat than actual usability. Maybe the reason you can never get to the offices is because they're actually locked off and doing fine.

I mean, hell, what if the UAC are the ones outfitting the demons with cybernetic technology? Maybe they've got some kind of agreement. Or maybe the demons are genetic creations of the UAC? Who knows?

Maybe it's actually a video game?

Gez said:

Maybe it's actually a video game?

What if Doomguy, everytime we fire up a game, actually has a consciousness and can feel pain, and it's like this dudes own personal hell (no pun intended) to be control by another being to have to run through it over and over and over again...

What if we are just a video game ourselves? Being controlled by another being much alike doomguy by something bigger up the fractal scope of things. I mean science and physics seem to suggest that the quantum universe that we see at our scale is indeed a simulation....

...the same science that also says infinite universes with infinite possibilities and infinite outcomes are most likely how it all works, meaning YOU are doing any and everything and nothing at the same time somewhere else with a slight deviation from the other universes, and in one particular or multiple instances YOU are, in fact, doomguy himself, running through the base and into hell itself?

What if we aren't controlling a game per se, but floating around doom guy's personal library in his house, looking through multiple instances of parallel universes and each variation, determining his every outcome?

nxGangrel said:

You say what if too much.
And if we are?... Woop de flippin' do.

You sound bothered by the fact that we could be... though it makes me wonder if the Halls of Mirror effect is how infinite instances and universes would look like. hmmm.

For fuck's sake, I stopped wondering about this decades ago when I saw the clawed demons and the torn uniform under the chest armor.

nxGangrel said:

You just entered the mind of every mouth breathing schizophrenic feminists/other kind of nutty radical. Great job.

Maes said:

Now, it's hard for me not to see the Demons/Barons/Devils/whatever as ravenous female fans, with expressions of pure lust on their faces. Why, look, the hand grabbing Doomguy's forearm looks more like a nicely manicured female hand grabbing the object of her passion, as she licks her demonic lips with anticipation! Even the look in the eyes of the demons is more like passion/desire, than aggression.

And isn't Doomguys' pose reminiscent of a rockstar with his guitar, surrounded by lusty groupies? Hmm.....

Well, that's certainly a fresh look at Doom's symbolism. I like it.