Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Quake the way ID did?

Quake the way ID did??

Does anyone know if there is anything like this in the works or if anything that comes close has been released?
I am talking about Quake 1 of course ; )

Would LOVE to play it.

To my knowledge no. In fact I'm not sure if there are that many mods for Quake, if even any newer mods are created any more.

nxGangrel said:

To my knowledge no. In fact I'm not sure if there are that many mods for Quake, if even any newer mods are created any more.

Thanks for the answer. There ARE still Mods created for Quake. Most of the stuff has the same "problem" like most recent Doom maps - everything is just overdone.

I am specifically looking for a high quality replacement for all 4 Episodes in the style of the original release. Basically the same what "Doom the way id did" for Doom.

nxGangrel said:

But that's obviously only because you've haven't actually looked.

There are tons of mods for Quake. People still mod Quake and there are both more advanced mods like Xonotic that basically made it into a new game, and more grounded in Quake mods like Kaiser's Quake: Harvester of Chaos mappack.

Sometimes I think I'd like to see a Quake the way Romero would have done. It seems like it could have been so much more than what it ended up being. OTOH it's also entirely possible it would have sucked.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Sometimes I think I'd like to see a Quake the way Romero would have done....

He actually did a TON for Q1... after that it was all going downhill in my opinion.
What i REALLY would like to see is how Quake 2 would have turned out with him still being at id!
Q2 was possibly the single biggest disappointment that I've ever played.

To be honest, I think the original Quake just hasn't aged that well. I loved it for a period, but now when I try to play it I just get bored after a few levels. The biggest problem with the game are the crude 3D graphics and the level design. Unlike Doom's charming 2D sprites Quake's 3D models look terrible even when when the game is played in graphically enhanced source ports. And the level design is just boring generic brown castle/base and boring generic grey fortress. With the exception of the first couple of levels (because I have played them so often) I struggle to really remember any of the levels in Quake in any real detail.

Doohnibor said:

He actually did a TON for Q1... after that it was all going downhill in my opinion.
What i REALLY would like to see is how Quake 2 would have turned out with him still being at id!

I believe the Quake series just wasn't that good of a series over all.

Quake 1 was great. A lovecraftian, medieval, tech style game with Nine Inch Nails playing in the background was fantastic.
Quake 2, not as original, still fun to play. And the soundtrack aged WAY better than the game.
Quake 3 Arena: Discount Unreal Tournament.
Quake 4, Doom 3 + Quake 2
Quake Live, a steam version of Quake 3: arena.

I think people might start seeing a pattern.

@kristus. I'm aware that people still play Quake today like Doom. But I don't here to much out of it. Of course I'm not a Quake fan nor do I play its mods.

I think that the best maps from Q1 were from Sandy Petersen (E4) and i think that his style really shined more on Q1 than on Doom.

Quake 2 was the first i played, so it still is my favorite of them all (the techbase on Q2 were fenomenal for me).

hardcore_gamer said:

To be honest, I think the original Quake just hasn't aged that well. I loved it for a period, but now when I try to play it I just get bored after a few levels.

I agree with this, and after reading was thinking something like "Quake the way Doom did" would be pretty awesome. Quakelike texturing and level layouts with Doom enemies and guns, or perhaps the reverse - Doomlike mapping in Quake.

Has that been done before? I'd really like to play something like that.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Sometimes I think I'd like to see a Quake the way Romero would have done. It seems like it could have been so much more than what it ended up being. OTOH it's also entirely possible it would have sucked.

Quake is great as it is. It uses its simplicity for its own advantage. Pretty much like Doom.

I really like the tech levels in Quake 1, more than Quake 2, I think it depends on the colour scheme...

I would like to see a QutwId, only with tech levels... and leave the fantasy level forn hypothetical Hexen in 3D :-)

Doohnibor said:

Really? I always thought it was pretty well done, but that's my opinion. I prefer Quake 2 over Quake 1 any day.

Bloodite Krypto said:

Pak-5 is the closest thing to replicate/condense Quake into 5 maps with each level representing the respective episode.

Quake Condensed also replicates this theme.

Terra tries to replicate the feel of Doom's gameplay in Quake.

Thanks alot for posting the links.
I just tested each set for about 10 minutes for now. I guess I actually liked Condensed and Terra more than Pak-5 ; )

hardcore_gamer said:

To be honest, I think the original Quake just hasn't aged that well. I loved it for a period, but now when I try to play it I just get bored after a few levels. The biggest problem with the game are the crude 3D graphics and the level design. Unlike Doom's charming 2D sprites Quake's 3D models look terrible even when when the game is played in graphically enhanced source ports. And the level design is just boring generic brown castle/base and boring generic grey fortress. With the exception of the first couple of levels (because I have played them so often) I struggle to really remember any of the levels in Quake in any real detail.

Indeed. Quake's levels made by id are just formulaic. All episodes start with a 100% techbase level and continue with 100% castle for the rest of the levels. Monsters are totally segregated into these two categories (apart from an isolated case in E1M2). The design rules in each theme are strictly followed (textures, switches, exits…). All this meant that you weren't going to see much progress, and the endings didn't deliver either.

The Quake mission packs were much better. While they still had the base/medieval/metal themes closely followed, they were much more scenic and full of meaningful content. Compared to them, the id Quake levels feel machine-generated.

baronofheck82 said:

Really? I always thought it was pretty well done, but that's my opinion. I prefer Quake 2 over Quake 1 any day.

Me too. Quake 2 is an all-time favourite and I still play it (original game and custom levels) from time to time. The level design is excellent and I just love that 1990s scifi war against cyborgs setting.

Quake 1 has it's own charme with all the strange ingredients mixed together, but for me Quake 2 is much more refined and rounded.

I think part of Quake's ageness problem is the rigidness of the monsters in the game. There's so few monsters yet most of them are too unique, making each of the monster encounters too predictable.

Da Werecat said:

Hexen in 3D exists, it's called Hexen 2. And it uses the Quake engine.

I completely forgot about it!

kristus said:

You've had that, it's called Daikatana.

I half expected this response, but wasn't Daikatana basically an FPS, just with some badly thought-out gimmicks to it? I'm pretty sure I read stuff about Quake being planned to be some sort of first person action RPG at one point.

BlackFish said:

I think part of Quake's ageness problem is the rigidness of the monsters in the game.

The real cause is that the Quake monsters are a bit less random than the Doom one (usually towards being more aggressive). They seem to have a higher chance of attack than in Doom, going on continuously at you if they're in close range. They also react to infighting like Archviles do in Doom 2.

Overall, they're generally tougher than in Doom 1. I really like the fiends. There's a nasty bug which makes them kill you for certainty if they land on your head. Unfortunately it also happens to dogs and spawn, but is more fitting with the fiends cracking your head.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I half expected this response, but wasn't Daikatana basically an FPS, just with some badly thought-out gimmicks to it? I'm pretty sure I read stuff about Quake being planned to be some sort of first person action RPG at one point.

Daikatana is basically John Romero's Quake: The Way Too Extended Edition, yes. He basically took the core ideas from the original draft of Quake ( right down to the game title being the plot weapon; iirc, the name Quake comes from a hammer that was a core part of the original draft ) and then

well

executed them extremely poorly.

Though I doubt the partners were originally going to be in Quake, and I'm sure it would just have one enemy and weapon set, so the theoretical Quake the Way Romero Did would still have quite a bit of room to not be Daikatana. Especially considering I'm pretty sure it was intended to be a fantasy FPS like Heretic and Hexen.

Doohnibor said:

Thanks for the answer. There ARE still Mods created for Quake. Most of the stuff has the same "problem" like most recent Doom maps - everything is just overdone.

Yep, they mostly moved on to enhanced Quake engines, although there's an occasional vanilla release now and then.

If you just want some nice vanilla maps to play, try these:
https://www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/hosted.planetquake.gamespy.com/spq2/quake1/index.htm

Duke3D has the same problem... They basically abandoned the vanilla engine entirely and everything these days needs eduke32. I just play old stuff in dosbox instead. There was once a cross-platform vanilla Duke3D port (used SDL, I think), but the codebase is decrepit and it doesn't work anymore.

hex11 said:

If you just want some nice vanilla maps to play, try these:
https://www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/hosted.planetquake.gamespy.com/spq2/quake1/index.htm

hehe... thanks ; )
I know all those maps and the site very well from back then. I checked in there every day - still on my 28.8 modem.... and of course bluesnews at least twice a day.

to clear up why I said Q2 was probably the single biggest disappointment...
I totally was into the satanic demonic thing of Doom/Quake
Q2 somehow felt cheesy and was just way too "realistic".
I know that most of you won't agree with me since I already had this discussion probably at least 50 times - and I know that the majority does not share my opinion...

now, many years later I think that Doom/Quake1 was just a few people coming together at the right place at the right time.
a great portion of how those games turned out was probably what you could call luck. (except for Carmacks coding)
Many years I thought Doom was the result of pure talent. But if it was they should have been able to continue making good games.
What happened instead was a bunch of mediocre games - which only sold because id was still hyped by the press and because for a long time carmacks engines were far ahead of everything else.
Once other companies cought up it all looked different. Rage was the first id game that didn't stun people with the engine alone... the game itself isn't even worth talking about. ...in my opinion ; )
and from there on it wasn't long until the "old" id fell apart.