Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

How will Doom 4 depict Hell?

I would definitely love something more surreal and less generic than fiery caves and castles. It could contrast really claustrophobic environments where you feel like you're inside a chaotic mess of things which you can navigate through only by sheer luck with vast and crushingly empty vistas like those paintings in the second post. Heck, it could combine the two and have unimaginably giant and cavernous indoor environments.

But I don't have my hopes up too high, such things don't seem to happen in games these days (did they ever happen? dunno). Artists tend to go the easy route and not even try to invest too much imagination in such environments, basically making something super generic but pretty looking due to colors, contrasts and details and all that junk. I really wish Doom 4 manages to have a version of hell that makes you go "whoah........." and just stare at the imagery, but I don't expect that to happen. Hell in Doom 3 was pretty boring, to be honest, even though I adore that game. Same with Dante's Inferno, which only had a couple interesting vistas here and there.

LANEGRACABRA said:

Reference occultism? You want the Baron of Hell put on reading glasses and read you verses from the thelema or some shit?

No, no, no! I wasn't referring to any of that Wicca garbage. I was referring to demon mythology itself and actually mythological views of what hell is like. Of course without referencing religion itself.

I would love to see a mix of DooM 64ish hell levels (DooM 64 is my favorite doom title) with a bit of what we got in DooM 3. We just need a good amount of them. DooM 3 left me blueballed with their pathetic amounts of hell levels. Also levels like someone mentioned above with hell levels with stolen UAC tech churning out demons.

I was thinking that too. It looks very generic like something you'd see in a Lord of the Rings game.

It actually looks a lot like the cyberdemon head which is another reason I don't like the new cyberdemon.

I liked what we saw of Hell, seems familiar yet different. And that door, I feel I've seen that design somewhere before.