• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

Doom III feature on MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.com/news/758337.asp

Be sure to read the whole thing, though here's the best parts:

Tim Willits said:
"This time the game takes place on Mars (as opposed to Phobos), so it really is like the first Doom never happened."

"We kept some of the original weapons and added some new ones,” says Willits. He confirmed that the game will still have the famous “BFG.” Asked about the chainsaw, he says, “We haven’t made it yet, but we probably will."

"This game has objectives and missions,” says Willits. “This is not like the old Doom where you just pick stuff up and shoot things. It’s much more advanced. You have interactions with other characters.”

It better be good, though, Quake's BFG sucked cock.

I really don't care too much about the objectives, I'd actually welcome a deeper storyline, as long as they keep concentrating on the gameplay and make it scary.

Archvile64 said:

It better be good, though, Quake's BFG sucked cock.

I really don't care too much about the objectives, I'd actually welcome a deeper storyline, as long as they keep concentrating on the gameplay and make it scary.

I like, LOVE objectives like the ones in Dark Forces or Jedi Knight.

Yeah, I liked Quake II's objectives. Unfortunately, Q2's gameplay got old pretty quick, so towards the end of the game, the objectives were all I had to look forward to.

The objectives will probably be dumbed down so anyone with cerebral palsy can complete the missions on their first try. Can anyone say "Just like any other FPS"?

If they plan to dumb down the puzzles, they should make it so you can select the level of puzzles in the game, so if you wanted to, you could play the game on super easy (thats the level of difficulty where you hold out a stick and monsters keep walking into it and dying. ;), with the puzzles being near impossible, where not even Steaven Hawkings(sp?) could do without a calculator, and abacus, and three nonsleep days. :D

...what was I saying again? :) Ah yes, pie. :D *go eats pie*

Objectives? YAY!£€#§
Objectives add some depth to the gameplay so that it seems like you have a goal other than getting out alive.
And the BFG will be back again, yess, and the chainsaw may return too.

Let's hope that the other old weapons make it (fist, plasma rifle), but we'll soon have every weapon confirmed (the double barreled shotgun will be there for sure - they don't need to confirm that one).

I really think DOOM 3 should have a weak energy weapon. Sort of like the plasma gun, but slower and with the total power of something between the shotgun and the super shotgun in DOOM. It would make sense in the year 2145...

Fredrik said:

I really think DOOM 3 should have a weak energy weapon. Sort of like the plasma gun, but slower and with the total power of something between the shotgun and the super shotgun in DOOM. It would make sense in the year 2145...

Uhh, I wouldn't call the plasma gun "weak" (the only "weak" gun in Doom is really the pistol), but you're absolutely right - Doom 3 needs the plasma rifle - just to add to the sci-fi aspect and have more than one energy weapon (the BFG).

Uhh, I wouldn't call the plasma gun "weak"

That's why I said "like the plasma gun, but ...". Sorry for the confusion.

Can't ID make a hybrid BFG that can shoot both BFG plasma and ordinary plasma? It would be cinda good if you meet one single demon that you don't want to change the weapon or use up all of your Cells on one single weak demon

Fredrik said:

That's why I said "like the plasma gun, but ...". Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, it's me who need to apologize - I was too quick to interpret what you said, damn.
Hm, I don't want the plasma rifle to be replaced - it's a much too classic weapon to be left out imo.
The plasma gun was to Doom what the flamethrower is to RtCW - the eyecandy weapon of the Doom arsenal (of course the BFG was a second eyecandy weapon, but it was different).

Fredrik said:

Ugh. Secondary fire sucks.

Why does it suck? It would be good that some weapons ( maybe 2 or 3 weaposn ) have secondary fire.

Ultimate Demon said:

Why does it suck? It would be good that some weapons ( maybe 2 or 3 weaposn ) have secondary fire.

Takes away some of the fast action plus I think it's redundant.

Yeah, and you have to bind an additional key for shooting. If q3 had this, i'd be in trouble as pretty much all of my keys are bound already :)

I wouldn't mind secondary fire like RtCW's but I would mind if it was like HL's or Unreal's.

I don't want two different fire keys. There can be only ONE fire key :-)

Hm, about this feature/article, this guy hasn't got it all right - for instance, he says the new enemies are much TOUGHER (???) than in the old game. So, the regular zombies are tougher than the basic possessed human troops in the old game, but these are new enemies and living dead as opposed to possessed humans (who are really still alive in a way).
My observations were that:
Pinky is as tough as the old one (no less, no more), former human commandos seem as tough as in the old game (You typically spend two sb shotgun blasts to take them down in Doom 2 although killing them in one blast IS possible too), I even have a sneaky suspicion that the new impy is as weak as in the old games (there was a point in the video where the player fired two shots at an imp with the shotty and seemingly missing it in the first shot, while killing it with the other).
So I'm confident that the remade enemies are about as tough/weak as their "predecessors".
Also he mentions and "imp" passing the player outside a window - I only remember a commando doing that.

Just being nitpicky :-)

dsm said:

I don't want two different fire keys. There can be only ONE fire key :-)

Just because you have the world's weirdest control setup doesn't mean we do.

DiSTuRBeD said:

Yeah, and you have to bind an additional key for shooting. If q3 had this, i'd be in trouble as pretty much all of my keys are bound already :)

Seems I'm not the only one with the weirdest control setup in the world ;-)

I would also have bind problems:p. Where to bind it to anyways??? My second mouse button is to walk, first one is to shoot. Only got a scroller in the middle. Need to buy another mouse? :P

Fredrik said:

Heh secondary fire is just stupid because it's stupid.

That's not a reason.
WHY do you think it's stupid?