Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SavageCorona

Decent boss monster wads?

Are there any decent boss monster wads? As in a wad containing a boss monster to place in my own maps. Preferably something stronger than the Cyberdemon and has more than one attack type eg. melee, mid-range, long-range, homing etc. and a theme fitting to the Duke 3D theme would be good. Not necessarily using sprites/palette swaps from Duke but something that would fit in that theme, though sprites and palette swaps are alright to suggest.

Browse through Realm667 repository (via the Repository->Bestiary menu on the left) and find whatever custom monster you want, download it and use it in your map (and feel free to modify its DECORATE behaviour script, etc).

The best suggestion I can give you is: If you're going to use a custom monster, make sure to put a lot of effort to make the map itself appealing and good. The custom monster will lose its cool factor if simply thrown into a noobish room and/or simplistic battle setup, which is a really overdone and underwhelming thing to see in wads. Beware of that.

I'm not really sure what I can really do with it yet. I'll need to try it out in different situations and see what's best. Though I do wonder what the appeal of things like the second and third bosses in Duke 3D are, since they're literally flat rooms with some ammo laid around. Is it the fact that the cyclops boss was on a football field and that's different to everything else in the game? Is it the circle strafing nature of the overlord boss that makes it fun to fight it in a flat circular room?