Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Never_Again

Maximum Doom — number of levels

Master_Levels_Box.jpg

ml3000.png

The Unofficial Master Levels For DOOM II FAQ sez:

Maximum DOOM

201 plus 1,629 makes 1,830 Maximum wads and the box says 3,000 levels. Are there actually 3,000 levels? Be my guest and count 'em!

Somebody had to do it, sooner or later.

DOOM1 WADs:  407
  DOOM2 WADs: 3062*
Heretic WADs:   18**
------------------
       total: 3487

* - includes ExMx entries and duplicates
** - uses the filenames listed in the FAQ

So, after all these years you can finally sleep soundly: the box didn't lie, there are 3,000 levels.

edit: a recount brings a slight revision - see this post.

Edited by Never_Again : recount

Wad Archive already does something similar with each disc they list. Curiously, they also say the total amount is 1,830 (with 18 duplicates). I wonder why this happens, probably there's more than one version of Maximum Doom? I mean, I can understand a mistake ranging in a dozen wads, probably a little more, but a difference of more than 1,500? How is that possible?

Zed said:

Wad Archive already does something similar with each disc they list. Curiously, they also say the total amount is 1,830 (with 18 duplicates). I wonder why this happens, probably there's more than one version of Maximum Doom? I mean, I can understand a mistake ranging in a dozen wads, probably a little more, but a difference of more than 1,500? How is that possible?

1830 wads, 3000+ maps.

AD_79 said:

1830 wads, 3000+ maps.

Oh shit, you're right.

nxGangrel said:

Doom fun for life. All day, everyday.

More like for a summer. Then I tried doing that with the Demon Gate Mega Collection, what a mistake. Can you say burnout?

Quasar said:

Tarnsman played through the entire thing on twitch :P

And now consequently hates any word that sounds similar to the word "maze". :D

buttspit said:

More like for a summer. Then I tried doing that with the Demon Gate Mega Collection, what a mistake. Can you say burnout?

Well now...

Quasar said:

Perhaps I had a bit of bias when playing the compilation since I was somehow pretty motivated to trudge through the whole thing. It could have been the notion that it was an officially released Goliath of crap. There were some enjoyable maps, at least; maybe Tarnsman played some, too.

Just don't go for something like 6000 levels!

On 5/18/2015 at 8:29 PM, Quasar said:

I hate to be "that guy", but I feel like Tarnsman gets too much credit. I mean, he didn't really play through the whole thing, just the Doom 2 section. Which is still incredibly impressive in itself, because that is still 3062 levels, but that means that there are still over 400 levels that he didn't play.

On 5/18/2015 at 7:48 PM, betabox said:

Out of curiosity, how did you deal with overlap?

For example, when a level came up in Demon Gate, that you had already played through in Maximum Doom, did you still play it again, or did you skip it?

On 4/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, Kes Gaming YT said:

Out of curiosity, how did you deal with overlap?

For example, when a level came up in Demon Gate, that you had already played through in Maximum Doom, did you still play it again, or did you skip it?

Sorry, late reply.
I didn't get far in the 6000 Demon Gate compilation, I think just doing all that in short succession killed everything. Interestingly, despite going through 3000+ levels, repeats/matches/variants were very easy to recognize. Just skipped those

On 5/9/2021 at 2:45 PM, betabox said:

Sorry, late reply.
I didn't get far in the 6000 Demon Gate compilation, I think just doing all that in short succession killed everything. Interestingly, despite going through 3000+ levels, repeats/matches/variants were very easy to recognize. Just skipped those

Good to know, thanks for the reply!

Likewise, I've been skipping the repeats, and there are a lot! Some maps showing up 3,4, even 8 times in different compilations WADs and whatnot.

On 5/18/2015 at 4:48 PM, betabox said:

What is this "Demon Gate" you speak of?

A shovelware disc with a lot of wads that are mostly made by college students who were just tinkering with an editor out of curiosity (which describes most 1994 wads). Very few of the wads are playable, even fewer are actually decent.

Customary shoutout to Greyghost (still hope to get closure)

Demon Gate is a small group/set of shovelware discs. Doomkid summarized it pretty well. There are a few variations, Demon Gate (600 maps), Demon Gate 666 (take a guess), Demon Gate Mega Collection (6000). There's even a Demon Gate for Mac, also 600 maps.

The Talk page for the Maximum DOOM entry on the Doom Wiki prompted me to revisit this thread and revise the numbers slightly. You can read my post there for details including complete lists of all level entries and a list of duplicate files.

The bottom line is that the total level count is 3486, or 3461 if we leave out the identical files with different filenames.