Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoCaddy

How much will Brutal Doom influence Doom 4

Obviously, old Doom 4 was canned because it didn't feel enough like "Doom". I think that Brutal Doom's recently popularity is going to have (or had) a major influence on this game. What do you think? Should id hire Sergeant_Mark_IV to help them develop the game?

CacoCaddy said:

Obviously, old Doom 4 was canned because it didn't feel enough like "Doom". I think that Brutal Doom's recently popularity is going to have (or had) a major influence on this game. What do you think? Should id hire Sergeant_Mark_IV to help them develop the game?

No, they should not hire Sgt. Mark. Yes, neo Doom was probably influenced somewhat by Brutal Doom's popularity.

Mark has the tendency to throw in features that sound cool but are hackily implemented and has a hard time with balance.

But beyond that, there's not much he would be able to do if he was on the Doom 4 team other than throw out random ideas, and I'm sure they have enough of their own.

You might as well pull in one of the designer's 8-year-old son.

Nothing against Mark...but while I enjoy BD once in a blue moon, the inconsistent decibel levels, overlong fatalities, overuse of blood spurts, questionable gameplay elements, horrific voice acting and the tendency to render monster-heavy mods unplayable shows that he is not yet at a level where he should be working for any software company, considering his own mod is full of balance issues, despite having some fantastic ideas.

BD is a reflection of a vicious thought process and personality. Channeling the inner rage and hate straight into a mod... yes he did. I can most certainly see the gore and intensity of the raw abuse one can carry out in brutal doom to be a vulgar reflection of it's creators own inner-demons and macabre fantasies.

Violent tendencies... or "letting the hate flow through you"... either way, it all boils down to unleashing some talent here and there. I, for one, like it... to an extent. There's a lot of nonsense added to it that I'd care less about, but the "core" is the gore, speed, and absolute rush and thrill of seeing something with such extreme and over-the-top grautious violence with every little thing standing in your way and pissing you off. Gets you pumped the 'eff up.

It's that missing link between two games of two genres from the early 90's... DOOM and Mortal Kombat.

I'd like to see it applied in a more traditional classic DOOM sense, and I think that's where DOOM (4) is headed. And I hope that it perfects that link to where it feels seamless.

There are so many big budget, highly successful games that have actually made millions and that might have influenced DOOM4... But no, people are fixated on this one mod because they're heard the word "fatalities". Sigh.

Piper Maru said:

Clearly Doom 4 is inspired by Mortal Kombat.

Blood and fatalities. Sounds like an influence to me. I always thought Doom was inspired by DnD.

Here's a peculiar thing. According to reports from Quakecon, DOOM4 has double jumping. NOBODY, not a single person has talked about it, yet you could easily say that this is influenced by the recent trend of including vertical movement in games through jetpacks and double jumps. Titanfall, Destiny, COD: Advanced Warfare, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, Dishonored... And yet, nobody makes comparisons.

Violent melee finishing moves appear consistently in many games. BioShock Infinite is notorious for its brutal executions. Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and pretty much any game with takedowns has aggressive melee finishers. Aliens versus Preddator contains violent fatalities. Dead Space has various monster-on-player fatalities (and other player death animations). I could go on: Mortal Kombat, Hatred, The Punisher, Manhunt, Duke Nukem Forever... A quick Google search will reveal many more. Implying that DOOM4 has finishing moves because of Brutal Doom is just being oblivious to what's going on in the gaming world.

Besides, like I said in another thread, Brutal Doom and its features are primarily influenced by modern games. So it's not surprising that some 'features' might overlap.

I'll equip my flame shield here and say I'd rather have the double jump and be mobile than a single jump. The original games only had a run. If they wanted to get far out there, they can always use the double barreled shotgun as a double or triple jump like TF2.

Oh I love double jumping (Dishonored!), nothing against it. I'm just pointing out how people cherrypick the topics and issues.

Edit: I retract what I said, I don't know how my post sent as I closed the page only before the page loaded to avoid the posting of it.

I'm watching a stream of the Executioner DLC now. It literally has third person finishing moves including those that look exactly like the ones described in the DOOM reveal: stomping, smashing head against the wall, etc.

Please, id, don't do the third person finishers, that looks stupid as hell...

Touchdown said:

I'm watching a stream of the Executioner DLC now. It literally has third person finishing moves including those that look exactly like the ones described in the DOOM reveal: stomping, smashing head against the wall, etc.

Please, id, don't do the third person finishers, that looks stupid as hell...

The finishers in the QuakeCon demo all took place in 1st-person.

I know and I hope to God Almighty they haven't changed it. I'm very allergic to switching perspectives in first person games. In DX:HR for instance, I can understand conversations but why do I have to look at Jensen when he's climbing a ladder? Same with this DLC, it's in first person but switches to third person for finishing moves. Why? It's just clunky, distracting and breaks the flow.

In a first person game EVERYTHING should be in first person.

Piper Maru said:

Clearly Doom 4 is inspired by Mortal Kombat.

Doomguy as a DLC fighter in MKX would be fucking awesome.

Buckshot said:

BD is a reflection of a vicious thought process and personality. Channeling the inner rage and hate straight into a mod... yes he did. I can most certainly see the gore and intensity of the raw abuse one can carry out in brutal doom to be a vulgar reflection of it's creators own inner-demons and macabre fantasies.

I think the guy is just a fan of metal & 80s action movies. So in a way, I "get it", when it comes to BD.

Buckshot said:

Unbecomingness through sensory assault, as Taylor would say. The "shotgun ballsack" in the latest BD verison is not quite inappropriate. Blantant at most. But it always seemed a primary goal of Brutal Doom to increase this... thing.

I'd rather brutal doom be Doom 4 than this shit they intend to release.

Ya'll's some bitches. For shame! I couldn't be more pumped about the new Doom. I don't care that it has a million little micro deviations from the originals.

I wait for Doom 4 only for Brutal Doom influence, coz GORE is fucking cool...and yeah! SnapMap!

Offical classic Doom HD remake in full 3D is my dream for the years, and this dream is fading year by year...

Sarcasm? Why would anyone want an HD remake? Why would you want to play something utterly familiar? The whole point of rebooting is to try something new.