Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

randomguy7 said:

i hate the new statusbar. i like to use the hd statusbar texture. can you make it an option for enhanced? also can there be a modifier for the original ssg reload? i'm making a miniseries of doomguy's adventures through doom 1 and 2 and that kinda makes it seem off.

I just uploaded 6.1.0.1 where the new status bar only replaces Doom's original status bar while ZDoom's standard fullscreen status bar remains unchanged. You can also use the internal alternative hud. Or open up the mod and delete SBARINFO from BDoom_MAIN.wad.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'modifier for the original SSG reload'. Make the animation like original? I suppose it's theoretically possible, although I'm not sure. But in any case that would take time that I unfortunately do not really have now. And I'm sorry but I'm not especially willing to adapt the mod for everyone's requests. I do listen to requests and suggestions, I try to take them into account, but there's really a lot of them out there and I cannot just work with everything. I think the mod already has really quite a lot of flexibility.

Hey, just wanted to say I like the mod but I think the advanced gibs option is preventing monsters from teleporting in, particularly the chunks from the Cyber and Mastermind. Happened to me earlier on Vanguard map 5 and Speed of Doom map 7.

rileymartin said:

Hey, just wanted to say I like the mod but I think the advanced gibs option is preventing monsters from teleporting in, particularly the chunks from the Cyber and Mastermind. Happened to me earlier on Vanguard map 5 and Speed of Doom map 7.

Do you mean to say that the gibs themselves prevent monsters from teleporting on top of them?
That's very weird. I see no reason why they would.
Perhaps it's somehow connected to NOBLOCKMAP flag... I'll try to test it.

So I just had an interesting experience. I was running about with a berserk pack punching zombies, as you do, and eventually came up to an imp and a caco. But they seemed curiously... uninterested in me. The cacodemon was floating around the room wantonly while belching lightning at the floor and the Imp was sitting in a corner furiously scratching something. It took me a moment to realize what I was witnessing, and even after figuring it out I'm not sure I fully understand what even the hell happened.

The imp apparently really hates zombies guts, literally, as it was just sitting there scratching at zombie gibs. The cacodemon was focused on attacking a floating decoration.

This amused me to no end, but it IS a glitch so I guess I should point it out.

Screenshots can be found hyear:

VERSION 6.1.0.2
*** CHANGE: now GZDoom 2.1.1 or ZDoom 2.8.1 are required (earlier versions won't work). Zandronum 3.0 is still fine.
*** FIXED
- IMPORTANT: gibs used to block teleporting monsters. Now with +ALWAYSTELEFRAG flag they don't.
- Hell Knight doesn't show Baron of Hell sprites in one of his resurrection animations.
*** IMPROVED
- Vanilla Supershotgun's reload animation is more similar to the classic one (you put in both rounds simultaneously)

I am running beautiful doom version 6.1.0.2 on a fresh steam install using GZdoom 2.1.1. Everything seems to be working fine and looking nice but I'm getting a few red errors when I start the game using doom.wad but not doom2.wad, plutonium.wad or tnt.wad. These errors only occur when beautiful doom is enabled. Below are the errors:

Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
Unknown patch 'MEGAA0' in texture 'MEGAA0'
Unknown patch 'MEGAB0' in texture 'MEGAB0'
Unknown patch 'MEGAC0' in texture 'MEGAC0'
Unknown patch 'MEGAD0' in texture 'MEGAD0'

Is this error likely to cause me any trouble at all? Is there a reason it only occurs with doom.wad? Should I just relax and enjoy beautiful doom? I just really hate errors!

Thanks

Hi, what a great enhancement for Doom!

Btw I'm new to this forum so hopefully I'm posting in the most current thread for this mod. I'm using version 6.1.0.2 anyway.

I was just wondering:

1) I'm pretty sure the (ordinary) 1-shot shotgun is firing a bit "quicker" between salves than the original? Maybe my mind is just playing tricks.. If so, what's the intention? And while I have this subject in the air, is there something else which doesn't follow the "original mechanics"?

2) I tried another mod by perkristian, which is also supposed to be a sound enhancement mod being true to the original. Is this one using the very same sound effects? It did sounds very similar. But that would be a good thing, since then I don't have to load up both (if that's even possible).

3) Lastly, a minor thing. The sound effects of the salves from pistol / shotgun bouncing around is fun but gets a bit tiring after a while. Could these be turned down in the volume (or off completely)? I skimmed through the options but couldn't find any relevant.

Anyway, I'm glad you took the time to make this mod as it refreshes the whole game experience. *Thumbs up*

glorbaniglu said:

I am running beautiful doom version 6.1.0.2 on a fresh steam install using GZdoom 2.1.1. Everything seems to be working fine and looking nice but I'm getting a few red errors when I start the game using doom.wad but not doom2.wad, plutonium.wad or tnt.wad.

Is this error likely to cause me any trouble at all? Is there a reason it only occurs with doom.wad? Should I just relax and enjoy beautiful doom? I just really hate errors!

No, these errors aren't important at all. They appear because Ultimate Doom, Plutonia and Evilution don't have Megasphere in them. They won't affect gameplay or anything else at all. Well, unless you try to spawn megasphere via console, then you'll see that it's invisible, but apart from that you can't see Megasphere in those wads because it only exists in Doom II.

Ace83 said:

1) I'm pretty sure the (ordinary) 1-shot shotgun is firing a bit "quicker" between salves than the original? Maybe my mind is just playing tricks.. If so, what's the intention? And while I have this subject in the air, is there something else which doesn't follow the "original mechanics"?

2) I tried another mod by perkristian, which is also supposed to be a sound enhancement mod being true to the original. Is this one using the very same sound effects? It did sounds very similar. But that would be a good thing, since then I don't have to load up both (if that's even possible).

3) Lastly, a minor thing. The sound effects of the salves from pistol / shotgun bouncing around is fun but gets a bit tiring after a while. Could these be turned down in the volume (or off completely)? I skimmed through the options but couldn't find any relevant.

1. Blimey, you're right! I actually screwed up with this one, and it fires 3 tics faster. Totally a mistake on my part. I'm going to fix this as soon as I can.

2. Yes, it's the same sounds. With perkristian's permission I incorporated his HD sounds into my mod.

3. I'll think about a way. For now you can do this:
- Open BDoom_61.pk3
- Open BDoom_MAIN.wad
- Open DECORATE
- Find a string that says seesound "weapons/ricochet" and replace it with seesound ""
- Save all changes inside archives

It always wondered me since I have Beautiful Doom in my PC - is there a particular reason why I have 70 instead of 50 bullets from the start?

I'd like to see Beautiful Doom do some faux-radiosity effects with the liquids, as in Brutal Doom. I also remember seeing some graphic enhancement mod--can't recall which one--that implemented a similar effect for some of the light flats, such as the red rounded lights, and it really added a nice layer of depth. Also, I think it would be neat if there was an algorithm that averaged a single color for any given sky, and automatically tinted sectors with a sky flat with that color.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

1. Blimey, you're right! I actually screwed up with this one, and it fires 3 tics faster. Totally a mistake on my part. I'm going to fix this as soon as I can.

2. Yes, it's the same sounds. With perkristian's permission I incorporated his HD sounds into my mod.

3. I'll think about a way. For now you can do this:
- Open BDoom_61.pk3
- Open BDoom_MAIN.wad
- Open DECORATE
- Find a string that says seesound "weapons/ricochet" and replace it with seesound ""
- Save all changes inside archives

1) All right, cool! Notify in this thread when it's done.

2) Yep, I went to your site (or somewhere) before and read the info. :)

3) I solved this by downloading Slade and just removed the sounds in question. Maybe your suggestion is better though.

Michael92 said:

It always wondered me since I have Beautiful Doom in my PC - is there a particular reason why I have 70 instead of 50 bullets from the start?

Huh, I never noticed that (and you're the first one to do so, thank you). Apparently, it's another screw up on my part. I'll try to find out why that happened.

GoatLord said:

I'd like to see Beautiful Doom do some faux-radiosity effects with the liquids, as in Brutal Doom. I also remember seeing some graphic enhancement mod--can't recall which one--that implemented a similar effect for some of the light flats, such as the red rounded lights, and it really added a nice layer of depth. Also, I think it would be neat if there was an algorithm that averaged a single color for any given sky, and automatically tinted sectors with a sky flat with that color.

The second one isn't possible in any reasonable way.

The first one, as far as I remember, was done via 3D models. While it looked nice, unfortunately, I'm not planning to include that for many reasons, including performance, full ZDoom compatibility and my own belief it doesn't work with the design idea of my mod.

I admit I didn't read the whole thread before posting this, but the water effects don't seem to be working for the first level of BTSX.

dugan said:

I admit I didn't read the whole thread before posting this, but the water effects don't seem to be working for the first level of BTSX.

The water effects only work for Doom water textures. The effects are tied to specific texture names, so since other PWADs may have their own water textures, there's no way to make the effects appear on all of them. Sad but true. The only thing I can do is try to fix the bug that led to frozen animation.

VERSION 6.1.3 is out!

*** CHANGED
- (Zandronum) Added separate version for Zandronum because certain 6.1.3 features
aren't supported even by its development builds
- By popular demand the mod file naming convention is changed: it's now BDoom###.pk3,
where ### refers to the version number (in this case 613)
-- (Zandronum) The Zandronum file is named BDznd###.pk3
- Advanced effects are now controlled via 'Beautiful Doom Settings' menu under 'Options';
can also be changed via custom CVARs (starting with "bdoom_")
- Changed normal statusbar: it no longer includes Doomguy's face (as much as I liked it,
it looked weird and just blocked part of the weapon sprite)
- Added fullscreen HUD (can be seen only if Alternative Hud is off): a simple hud similar
to ZDoom's Alternative HUD but with a little more information and with Doomguy's face
above health value
*** ADDED
- The number of existing blood drops is now controlled via a corresponding option under
'Beautiful Doom Settings'; can also be changed via bdoom_bloodnum CVAR
- The number of existing debris is now is now controlled via a corresponding option under
'Beautiful Doom Settings'; can also be changed via bdoom_debrisnum CVAR
- Ricochet/chainsaw spark sounds can now be disabled under 'Beautiful Doom Settings'
in case you find them annoying; doesn't affect animation
- Replaced skull cursor in the main menu with a modified Lost Soul animation
- Icon of Sin's spawn cubes now leave yellow fire trail behind them and have some additional
fire effects on spawning monsters
- Arachnotron now also has a black/smoky death (from fire/plasma damage)
*** IMPROVED/CHANGED
- Enhanced Fist now has a different alternative attack: a kick. It's stronger than the
punch but also slower, and is slows you down during the animation (because hard to walk while
kicking). Knocks enemies back similar to Hexen's Disc of Repulsion (barefly affects big enemies,
though). Kick speed, damage, and pushback effect increase with Berserk. Punching is
still faster, easier and more reliable, but have fun playing King Leonidas!
-- (Zandronum) For technical reason, in Zandronum version the kick temporarily stops you
instead of slowing you down
- ((G)ZDoom) When a monster is resurrected, its gibs and most of its blood slowly fade out
which gives a nicer effect and shows that the monster is alive again
- Improved blooddrop sprites
- Enemies leave less blood pools when shot (the amount of blood during gibbing is unchanged)
- Light halos are now invisible when the player can't see the light source, which conserves resources
- Particle fire is also invisible when outside the player's LOS, so multiple Lost Souls hidden
behind walls won't slow down your computer too much
-- As an added bonus, this makes Lost Soul dynamic lights invisible when they're behind a wall,
like in Doom 2 map 13
- Pinky's head now has a smaller sprite (seemed too big before)
- Enhanced Shotgun's alternative attack has been reworked and is now similar to the kick,
but generally less effective than the latter; it is still effective as part of the
pushback+shoot combo (works well on imps and zombies)
- Enhcnaed Shotgun's attack timing has been adjusted, so that primary and secondary attacks
can be more effectively cancelled into each other to allow a kind of simple combo
- Fist hits the wall with a different, 'drier' sound
- The halo of Plasma Railgun fades out more slowly for a nicer effect
- Chainsaw initial puff sprites appear lower, closer to the position of the blade
- Smoke effcts look slightly more varied (less like a straight line of sprites)
- Smoke rising over weapon barrels is now less opaque
- Adjusted Column (small floor lamp) sprite position to better align with the light halo
(remember that using different sprite clipping modes can still offset the position of the sprites)
*** FIXED
- The shotgun now has correct vanilla fire rate (used to be 3 tics faster because I screwed up)
- Starting amount of bullets is now correctly 50 (was 70)
- (Zandronum) Light halos no longer remain after a lamp is destroyed by explosions
- All weapon sprites now have unique non-vanilla names, so if the mod is used along with anoter
wad which replaces certain vanilla sprites, that wad won't draw its sprites over the mod's frames
- Puffs now don't create solid terrain sounds when spawned on flats
- Fixed a minor glitchy frame in the Fist animation following the hit
- Slightly improved sprites in the chainsaw idle animation
- Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause empty casings to spawn even if debris were disabled
- Pinky/Spectre heads don't collide so much with actors

I'm too lazy to download GZDoom 2.1.1 but this mod looks as good alternative for Brutal Doom.

VERSION 6.1.3.1 hotfix || January 12, 2017
*** IMPROVED
******* Reduced the frequency of checks for the number of existing blood pools which should reduce slowdowns on older systems
******* Made the blood pool number checks less glitchy
*** FIXED
******* Fixed a bug that caused Zombieman to never drop an extra pistol when using Enhanced Guns
******* Clip starting amount is now 50 (despite what previous version's changelog said, it was still incorrect)
******* Arachnotron now also has BFG death (like Plasma death but with blood)
******* Mancubus now doesn't skip initial frames of BFG death animation

THIS THREAD WILL NOT BE UPDATED FURTHER.
I've posted Beautiful Doom on many resources, and manging updates on all of them is getting too difficult. This thread will still contain the link to the dropbox folder with all updates and the general information about the mod.
If you want to participate in the discussion about the mod, head to the mod's ZDoom forum thread.
You can also find the mod on the ModDB page.

VERSION 6.1.4 is out

* FIXED
-- Picked-up weapons now give the correct amount of ammo (I was able to track down the issue that was causing ammo errors, thanks Someone64)
-- Destructible decorations (lamps, victims, hanging bodies) can no longer be pushed by kicks or Enhanced Shotgun's alt. attack
* IMPROVED/SFX
-- Added new smoother sprite flames for torches, candles and candelabras
-- Candles and candelabras now have a different flame from torches
-- Replaced light halos with smoother ones (with less obvious edges)
-- Arachnotron's plasmaballs now has a yellowish-green hue instead of pure green. It's more similar to vanilla and also harder to confuse with Baron's fireballs.
-- Plasmaballs now have shorter trail and smaller halo so they don't obstruct vision too much
-- Small generic pieces of meat now spawn smaller blood while limbs spawn bigger blood
-- Objects falling on hard surfaces (like guns dropped by enemies) no longer produce unnecessary hard terrain sounds (they still produce liquid splashes)
-- Added special death animations for monsters when they're telefragged or killed via console. Previously they just spawned lots of gibs without any momentum which then fell down; now they show basic gibbing animation and spawn blood spurts, which looks better and doesn't cause that much slowdowns when using 'kill monstes'.
* IMPROVED/OPTIMIZATION
-- Adjusted light halos and light sources code so that it consumes less memory
-- Plasma Railgun's ray is now surrounded with blue halo only for a limited part of its length, so that it consumes less memory when firing over very long distances
-- Similarly to blood pools change in previous update, reduced the frequency of checks for the state of Gibs Toggle option which should reduce slowdowns cause by multiple gibs on older systems