Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Egg said:

Neither class seems to have the pistol at the start.

Also, the chaingun HD sprite doesn't appear.

Thanks for the report. Fixed both.

Gustavo6046 said:

Why am I so bad at spriting??? Death Egg makes such beauty! I am still staring at that striped rocket: "Finally, a solution for this headache!" I always though the rocket should be striped like the missile...
Look this mice and you'll understand what "my bad sprites" I am talking about. If I improve my skills I can make a better mice though...

Well, Death Egg has a real knack for this :)
But as for yours, first question is, is it supposed to be that plump and round? That looks a bit weird.
But if yes, then basically you should try to add more color variations. Although with Doom's limited greys and blacks that may be problematic. But if it's not for vanilla Doom, then you can use PNG and avoid the palette. Generally it lacks color variations. It only has three, which is not enough. Also the shadowing is like of a ball. A rat would have much more shadows on its body, around eyes, muzzle, etc. But I'd say that's about drawing. First you need to learn to draw more or less, then you need to learn how to represent details on a low-resolution scale.

VERSION 6.0.9.2
* New sprites for Cell Pack and Rocket Box (thanks Death Egg)
* Fixed a couple of typos in wads; now one small effect of Arachnotron's plasma works properly (thanks unRyker)
* Fixed Pinky and Spectre; turns out I still made a mistake in 6.0.9 that resulted in bugs in some versions (thanks Yutrzenika)

VERSION 6.0.9.3
*** VANILLA RULE VIOLATION FIX:
- As it turns out I was using wrong code for Fist which resulted in slightly different damage. Changed to fully vanilla now. (It used to be occasionally higher.)
*** NEW ALTERNATIVE ATTACKS (enhanced weapon set only):
- Much requested PLASMA RIFLE RAILGUN ALT.ATTACK. It takes 20 Cell, requires short charge and longer cooling than regular attack and deals 250-625 damage (10*random(10,25) to be precise) which is averagely the same as the same amount of plasma can do.
- SHOTGUN ALT.ATTACK: buttstock melee. Hits slightly stronger and further than fist but more slowly.
It also pushes enemies away. It's affected by Berserk too (as it's a physical attack).
Notice that you can shoot very quickly after performing melee.
- BFG ALT.ATTACK: similar to beta-Doom BFG attack with some tweaks. It has a slow charge and you can hold the charge button as long as you want;, the gun won't fire until you release the fire button.
When you do, it fires 40 green plasma balls each dealing 5 damage and able to bounce off floors and ceilings (not walls). The total damage is somewhat lower than a full BFG blast but has different tactical applications.
*** BUG FIXES:
- The mod now works with Ultimate Doom without the need of doom2.wad
- Fixed decorative dead bodies bugs
- Fixed resurrected Cacodemon being stuck to the floor
- Fixed a bug where imp would stay mirrored (walk backwards) when resurrected by Arch-Vile after certain death animations
- Fixed a few GL lights and changed Armor Bonus GL light
*** ADDED/REMOVED:
- Added a sweet HD pickup for Armor Bonus (thanks again, Death Egg)
- Added new death animation for Zombieman
- Added new death animation for Cacodemon
- Added sound variations to BFG ball explosion
- Added a flying mid-air sound for the flying rocket (if BDoom_weapsounds.wad is used)
- Removed one of Imp's deaths (it didn't look good plus even now he still has 3 basic variations)
- Added sprite variations for big brown tree and small burnt tree
*** BEHAVIOR IMPROVEMENTS:
- Small blood drops don't produce any sound when hitting TERRAIN water (big ones still do but there are much fewer of them)
- Lamps now don't block bullets and block projectiles (which is vanilla behavior) but still can be destroyed by explosions
- Lamps have more health (cannot be destroyed as easily)
Note: the logic here is that lamps are functional (i.e. give light) and shouldn't be easily destroyed
- Lamps' lens flare is now not completely static but flickers and varies in size

Oh man I'm loving these enhanced weapons. Very well thought-out. They make the player only slightly more powerful (in absolute terms), but much more flexible and dynamic.

This makes the gameplay more varied and interesting. It'll take some playtime to see how much easier the game is. Not too much, I hope.

Macblain said:

Oh man I'm loving these enhanced weapons. Very well thought-out. They make the player only slightly more powerful (in absolute terms), but much more flexible and dynamic.

This makes the gameplay more varied and interesting. It'll take some playtime to see how much easier the game is. Not too much, I hope.

Thanks! Well, always feel free to report. As I don't have much free time, naturally, that which I have I mostly spend on the changes themselves, so I don't have enough time to test them out completely (although I try to, that's usually why the minor updates come out). So if something feels really weird, tell me.

Although I was initially very reluctant about the railgun and the beta-style BFG. I tested them out until I found values and speed which didn't make these attacks really more powerful than basic attacks.

I think in the next one I'll make the vanilla pistol left-handed like in original Doom. I also thought that I might add a secondary pistol in the Enhanced set so that you'd have an option to dual wield for increased fire rate but naturally decreased accuracy.

What about using these gore assets? Which I wonder if anyone can modify these and create Zombie and Imp versions of these deaths..

Jannak said:

What about using these gore assets? Which I wonder if anyone can modify these and create Zombie and Imp versions of these deaths..

I've come across these too. Death Egg was kind enough to search and dig up lots of useful sprites for me.

I think I may include some of them into the Marine death, because so far I've never included any special effects for the player's death (it's just a historical thing; I once tried and something started glitching heavily and after that I just never got around to doing this).

As for zombies and imps I'm really not sure. You see, they have basic deaths (about 3 variations for each), a gibbing death and a decapitation death (minor gibbing). Where would this tearing apart go? It's not extreme enough as an alternative to gibbing. But it might be a little more extreme for minor gibbing (which is usually about losing the head or the head and an arm). I'm just not sure where to include them :)

It could be a gibbing variation. I'm not good enough to redraw these for zombies, though. But perhaps there already is one variation out there.

What I would really like to find now is a variation for the Chaingunguy's death. Currently I have none.

VERSION 6.0.9.4
*** NEW ALTERNATIVE ATTACKS (enhanced weapon set only):
- DUAL PISTOLS: Zombiemen have a chance of dropping an extra pistol (requires BDoom_monsters.wad as well). The basic attack of this weapon is the same as one pistol (during this attack Doomguy just holds the second pistol in the off hand), but the alt.attack allows you to dual-wield pistols for increased firerate. The trade off is inferior accuracy, harder ammunition control and there's a small delay before shooting while the Doomguy takes aim.
- HOMING ROCKET: enhanced rocket launcher's alt. attack allows to fire a homing rocket that flies slightly slower than regular rocket and homes in on targets within your field of vision. It may be erratic sometimes, homing in on different targets than you expected, but it's effective for delivering long-range explosions. On the other hand shooting these rockets is much slower than regular ones.
*** IMPROVEMENTS/OPTIMIZATION
- Enhanced BFG alt.attack plasmaballs now can only bounce off planes a limited number of times (so that if you play GZDoom and fire them directly upwards or downwards you won't be stuck with them bouncing up and down forerever).
- Rocket's smoketrail is less opaque (so it doesn't block your vision too much)
- Rocket's explosion sprites were adjusted, proper translucency has been added, so the explosion looks smoother and better; the number of smoky debris spawned in the explosion is now randomized and reduced
- PlasmaRailgun (Plasma rifle alt.attack) now has a light halo and stays a little longer in the air, looks better
- If you choose Vanilla Guns, the Fist and the Pistol will be left-handed as in original Doom.
*** BEHAVIOR CHANGES
- Rocket Launcher deselection animation in enhanced guns is no longer faster than regular
- Monsters now rarely enter Decapitation death animation. Decapitation was originally intended to be a 'lighter gibbing' animation, mostly triggered only by explosions which didn't land close enough to fully gib the monster, while bullet weapons should almost never trigger it. That's how it works now.
- Imp enters gibbing animation slightly more often (in original Doom he's very resilient to gibbing).
*** BUG FIXES
- Fixed a bug where Chaingun spinning sound could get stuck playing on the loop if the weapon runs out of ammo while firing

Question:
Perhaps I should make it so Vanilla Guns always use vanilla Doom sounds and Enhanced Guns use the new sounds? What do you guys think?

VERSION 6.0.9.5
- Added smooth explosion sprites for revenant's, mancubus' and cacodemon's fireballs
- Turns out I had forgotten to actually include proper translucency change for a rocket's explosion. Now it's there.
- Revenant's seeker missile now makes a looped flying sound, similarly to player's rocket (but the sound is different)
(it's pretty cool to actually hear them fly)
- Arch Vile now shows animated fire spawning from his hands when attacking (if Advanced Flames aren't off)
- Hell Knight's/Baron of Hell's fireball has better (shorter and thicker) trail
- Enhanced Teleport Fog now added to the objects wad: includes new sprite, dynamic lighting, light halo
- Implemented a (hopefully) less memory-consuming method of creating light halos for torches and other light sources
- Light halos are now brighter
- Added a more efficient way to make blood drops disappear when they fall in water that will work both on TERRAIN water and water defined via other ZDoom and GZDoom methods (Transfer Heights, 3d floors)
- Incorporated footsteps scripting by The Zombie Killer instead of previous footstep mechanics
- Increased pistols spread when dual-wielding

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Question:
Perhaps I should make it so Vanilla Guns always use vanilla Doom sounds and Enhanced Guns use the new sounds? What do you guys think?

I like this idea, if you do do this you should use the perkistan enhanced sounds for it.

Death Egg said:

I like this idea, if you do do this you should use the perkistan enhanced sounds for it.

Yes, I was thinking about that too. Although there's not much reason, you know, because his mod is fully compatible with mine, you can just load it up and play it... But perhaps I should still do it.

So many updates! This is great!

Haven't found any real problems so far.

No gunflash when firing both pistols.

Some dramatic fireworks on the plasma gun alt attack would be nice.

I liked the extra point of damage on the pistol, but I understand your reasons for removing it. I might argue that a shotgun shell does more damage when it comes out of the ssg, but I suppose we could narrate that as a choked barrel vs a sawn-off or something. (I'm not a gun person.) I don't know your intentions with this mod, but I don't see any reason to use the pistol after the chaingun is obtained. I notice you still have the vanilla spread of 5.6 for both pistol and chaingun. Maybe give the pistol an accuracy boost? Though if I'm reading your decorate correctly it still appears that in 6.0.9.7 the enhanced pistol does 6 damage before you pick up a second pistol.

I really like how you integrated the dual pistols and the individual barrels of the ssg into the control scheme so elegantly. You could have made the dual pistols a second weapon in slot 2, and required the use of a reload key for that one shell. But this works beautifully. I always thought that the ROTT-style graphic of the player running around with two pistols constantly raised looked pretty silly.

The fist altfire is interesting. I'm not sure what to make of it yet. A sort of chainsaw-like "stick to the enemy" effect?

You might consider making the blood drops on the corpse decorations a little less frequent. When there are multiple decorations in the same room, it creates a conspicuous blood rain effect. Not that it doesn't look great, but it might be a bit much.

I've really liked your continued refinements of the enemy projectiles over the last few versions.

The Fist altfire is present by mistake. It's actually just a WIP that I was planning to remove before relase and forgot. For now it just makes a dash forward while swinging.
Initially the idea was to create an alternative attack that would increase power according to how fast you were moving before attacking, i.e. if you ran up to the enemy you would hit them harder.

As for the 6 point of damage for single pistol, I probably just missed it, that happens. Thanks for noticing. Same thing about gun flash when dual-wielding, will be fixed in the new version.

I'll think about bleeding decorations. In a way that maybe the idea, you know. There aren't many rooms with a lot of bleeding decorations so normally you don't notice this effect. But I'll look into it, maybe I'll increase the minimum delay between bleeding. I also studied some functions related to change of gravity of objects and I thought I may try to include some neat effects like blood drops slowly gathering at the end of a decorative corpse's stump, and then falling down. But we'll see...

Another question I could use some help with, everyone: I was thinking about implementing a new hud. Something reminiscent of the original hud, with the mugshot, but more function and the one that wouldn't block much of the lower part of the screen. I'd love to hear some ideas (or see if you have any wads in mind).

VERSION 6.0.9.8
*** ADDED
- New STATUSBAR: a 'remix' of Doom's original status bar that works in all aspect ratios. It works as a fullscreen statusbar (only if ZDoom's Alternative Hud is off) and is basically the same old statusbar, just rearranged on the screen
- Enhanced Fist alt. attack (temporary experiment to see how it goes): secondary attack alows to push enemies away for quick getaway, dealing no damage; with Berserk Pack push is much stronger and hurts enemies if they hit something; this attack's effectiveness is boosted by your spead (use while running)
- perkistan's HD Doom sounds are now included in the mod; you can hear the HD weapon sounds if you use Vanilla Guns, while Enhanced Guns still use my sounds
- Dynamic light for Megasphere
- New smoke for bullet puffs and guns: now the smoke spawned by bullets and over gun barrels is different fromt the smoke spawned behind rockets and raising over charred bodies.
- A replacement actor for BFG sprays (secondary small plasma explosions spawned at enemies when BFG ball explodes)
- A second type of "plasma death", a "BFG death": it blackens corpses like plasma death, but doesn't prevent gibbing and bleeding (so the corpses end up sort of black-and-red or black-and-blue in case of Cacodemon)
- Imps, Hell Knights and Baron of Hells now spawn particle fire in their hands prior to throwing a fireball
- Minor enemies now have "green fire death" in addition to "fire death", which activates when they're burnt by a Hell Knight/Baron of Hell
*** CHANGED
- Teleport Fog animation is now shorter (takes less time)
- Updated information on enhanced pistol on HELP (F1) screen according to changes (no +1 damage anymore)
- Chaingun drawing sound
- Plasmaballs now leave a decal that fades out much quicker
- But plasma railgun leaves a long-fading decal, similar to the one previously used by plasmaballs
- Chainsaw idle animation is now much less pronounced, just minor shaking
- Idle Chainsaw now produces some smoke
*** FIXED
- Missing Rocket launcher drawing sound
- Missing pickup sounds for SSG and Shotgun
- Missing float-bobbing on Soulsphere
- Cacodemon not clipping into TERRAIN water when killed with plasma
- Dual pistols not having a gun flash when dual wielding
- Enhanced Pistol still having 6 damage instead of 5

I finally got myself Zandronum and testing now with it as well. I found issues with version 3.0 in certain checks (doesn't seem to recognize CheckClass command) and it's going to be fixed in the new version. Stay tuned!

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Question:

I'd rather have the choice to use new or vanilla sounds on both. I enjoyed the new sounds on the former Beautiful Doom version (didn't test this one yet I just found out you released it). This said, I guess my only deal breakers would be getting unable to get vanilla gameplay (and ear-raping "OAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" if you see what I mean :P).

Also, it's some time now I mainly play Doom with this mod turned on, great work! :)

Squadallah said:

I'd rather have the choice to use new or vanilla sounds on both. I enjoyed the new sounds on the former Beautiful Doom version (didn't test this one yet I just found out you released it). This said, I guess my only deal breakers would be getting unable to get vanilla gameplay (and ear-raping "OAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" if you see what I mean :P).

Also, it's some time now I mainly play Doom with this mod turned on, great work! :)

Well, currently Vanilla Guns use vanilla sounds and Enhanced Guns use new sounds. But you should try it and you may actually be pleased; note that by 'vanilla sounds' I don't mean actual vanilla sounds but rather perkistan's HD sounds version, which is essentially standard Doom's sounds but of higher quality, and it makes them sort of different. I actually quite enjoy using them.

Thanks :) Updated version (that will also work properly with Zandronum) is coming soon.

I tried it, loved it so far, nothing to add everything works smoothly imo. Also the enhanced weapons have pretty clever ideas to spice up things a bit without ruining the original gameplay, good work once again!

VERSION 6.0.9.9
*** ADDED
- FINALLY, PLAYER'S ALT. DEATHS AND GIBS!
All the same that zombies have: fire, green fire, plasma, BFG, chainsaw deaths and advanced gibbing with unique gibs
- Secrets and kills counters to the statusbar
*** IMPROVED
- Health, armor and ammo counters on the statusbar now change color depending on the amount
- Steampack, Medikit and Berserk HD sprites are slightly improved
- Enhanced Guns now don't work in Deathmatch (although the player class can be selected, you'll still get vanilla guns)
*** FIXED
- Possible bug when SFX would turn back on when entering a new level even if you'd turned them off before that
- Removed unnecessary TEXTURES lump from BDoom_Monsters.wad that may have caused some errors
- Enhanced Shotgun alt. attack doesn't leave holes on walls anymore
- Zandronum: Replaced CheckClass command with a different one so that the mod works in Zandronum
- Zandronum: changed rocket's damage type so that it doesn't trigger fire deaths anymore (seems like in Zandronum rocket has damagetype "Fire" internally)

joe-ilya said:

The shotgun butt attack isn't silent,

Well, it actually has never been silent. You know, because it was implied to be mostly used for kickback attacks while you're already fighting. But it's a valid point, perhaps I should make it silent since the fist already is...

I don't play with mods but props for constant updates. I really like the Shadow Warrior style chainsaw kills (not sure if that's a new thing but I haven't checked the mod in a long time). But why do you keep using that horrible DOOM3 Revenant sound for the Rocket Launcher? You should change it to something else.

Touchdown said:

I don't play with mods but props for constant updates. I really like the Shadow Warrior style chainsaw kills (not sure if that's a new thing but I haven't checked the mod in a long time). But why do you keep using that horrible DOOM3 Revenant sound for the Rocket Launcher? You should change it to something else.

Something similar to the chainsaw death has been done before. I think something very similar appeard in Zero Tolerance. But I drew the sprites myself.

As for the Rocket Launcher I'm not sure which sound you mean. There's the drawing sound, the firing sound, the on-fly loop sound and the explosion sound. Personally I enjoy all of them. As far as I remember, they're all taken from Doom 3 rocket launcher, not from the Revenant. What's so bad about them?

There's an extra [B] at the start thread (at TRAILER) and you might want to put the changelog past the latest version under a [spoiler] tag.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

As for the Rocket Launcher I'm not sure which sound you mean. There's the drawing sound, the firing sound, the on-fly loop sound and the explosion sound. Personally I enjoy all of them. As far as I remember, they're all taken from Doom 3 rocket launcher, not from the Revenant. What's so bad about them?

I meant the firing sound but yes, you're correct, it's the RL sound (which is the same as the D3 Revenant launchers). I actually had to double check that because I was a 100% positive the RL had a different sound... Maybe I confused it with the RAGE's RL. Wow, I remember it all wrong. Either way, I just don't like this sound. Can't put my finger on it but I've heard some folks complain about that particular sound too.

Now I wonder whether RAGE weapon sounds would work as a sound replacement. :)

Touchdown said:

Now I wonder whether RAGE weapon sounds would work as a sound replacement. :)

Maybe. Although IMO they wouldn't have that familiar feel that Doom III and Hexen sounds do.

Hey, guys. I decided to finally upload version 6.1.0.0. Sorry it's been so long. I wanted to release it along with the updated trailer, but I simply don't have enough time right now and I can't get around to doing it. So no updated trailer for now :(

But the mod has been updated. Nothing major, mostly cosmetic and bug fixes. I think I'll now also upload it to Doomworld.

VERSION 6.1.0.0
*** FIXED
- In 6.0.9.9 Enhanced Guns still worked in Deathmatch because I made a mistake in the script. Now they don't.
- Dual Pistols don't spawn in Deathmatch games
- Fixed a bug where Shotgun Guy would stay mirrored (walk backwards) after being resurrected by an Arch-Vile
- Fixed a bug where Imp would show incorrect resurrecting animation after one of the 2 possible "plasma death" animations
- Cacodemon now shows corret resurrection animations depending on which death animation was used
- Enhanced Shotgun melee alt. attack doesn't alert monsters anymore
- Arachnotron's plasmaballs leave proper green decals, not blue ones
- Missing dynamic lighting when firing a weapon
- Decorative blood spawned by hanging dead bodies now properly disappears when landing on water
- Decorative dead bodies now never spawn blood if Advanced Bleeding is off
- Missing sprite in Cyberdemon's death animation
*** ADDED
- When connecting to a deathmatch game having selected Enhanced Guns you will see a message telling you they won't work, after which you'll be switched to Vanilla Guns
- Alternative death animation for Chaingun Guy, similar to Smooth Doom, but with improved blood graphics (and less smooth, to correspond to the original sprite rate)
- Sprite variations for decorative marine corpse
*** IMPROVED
- All scripts connected to toggling special effects were moved to the MAIN wad, so that now there's only one section of controls related to turning on/off the SFX in 'Customize Controls'
- Decorative dead bodies don't spawn decorative blood as often
- Changed the font and the position of the SFX-toggle on-screen messages
- Added improved HD sprites for Medikit, Stimpack, Berserk, Health Bonus, Green Armor and Blue Armor

i hate the new statusbar. i like to use the hd statusbar texture. can you make it an option for enhanced? also can there be a modifier for the original ssg reload? i'm making a miniseries of doomguy's adventures through doom 1 and 2 and that kinda makes it seem off.