Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EternalWolf

Revenant Armor to come off?

http://www.scared-pixel-studios.com/public/images/idtech6/Doom.2015.Footage.gif

As mentioned in the other topic, the clipping here is terrible and with an animation this good I have a hard time believing they would miss something like that.

However it looks like the armor itself is a model and is "attached" onto the revenant. If you look at the arms and chest of the revenant it's all moving underneath while the armor and jetpack//whatever is stationary(like it should be). However the clipping of the cables on it's arm with the armor suggests, at least to me, that these are two models colliding with each other more than it is an oversight from the development team.

With fatalities and all that, this could mean Doomguy rips the armor off and possibly opens up a secondary fight or it could just be a really cool death.

Also, The stomach area is also spitting out shocks, which could just be part of the animation, a sign of near death or a sign of the armor being weakened and ready to pop off.

I think it's a bit much to say the clipping is "horrible." I'm a visual artist and graphics nerd, and didn't notice the clipping until it was mentioned.

I think the model looks perfectly fine frankly speaking, I'm watching the gif in slow motion and still can't see the clipping.

BUT if it does come off for a fatality move, or just when extreme damage is taken, that could be really cool.

I'm always a fan of either or and variety. Its probably always attached, but it would be interesting if there was a variety. A blitzer and a supporter. Even the face paint and textures can be different. You'll still know its a revenant.

I don't see any clipping issue and we're speculating on a 2 second clip? What we haven't seen is his shoes.

If there's a fatality for a revenant, either pop the head or if that's too traditional, the space marine can always grab one or both of the cannons and aim them to the revenant's head to obliterate it. With such long limbs, you can always rip off a leg or an arm and beat it to death. I'm sure after the launchers are torn off.

If the animators really want a big project, rip off the launchers and use them on the revenant's stomach and then stomp on its head several times before grinding the head with the boot until it explodes and the eyes go dim. Then keep the launcher, but have no control over its firing since there's no trigger. It only stops when it runs out of ammo since there's none coming from the backpack.

Okay, I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding Brutal Doom…but being able to use the rev's rockets was very cool. I think temporarily being able to do this in neo-Doom would be pretty sweet.

GoatLord said:

Okay, I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding Brutal Doom…but being able to use the rev's rockets was very cool. I think temporarily being able to do this in neo-Doom would be pretty sweet.

Brutal Doom has that ability? Pretty nice. Sorry I just haven't played Brutal Doom long enough.

*edit* yep the whole backpack becomes wearable. Well that trumps my idea.

GoatLord said:

I think it's a bit much to say the clipping is "horrible." I'm a visual artist and graphics nerd, and didn't notice the clipping until it was mentioned.

I used the word horrible wrong, as it still looks great overall but it does collide within it's own model(which is why I think it's two separate ones).

Doomkid said:

I think the model looks perfectly fine frankly speaking, I'm watching the gif in slow motion and still can't see the clipping.

The cable in the Revenant's left arm goes into it's armor. It also appears that the arm/shoulder collides a bit as well.

LANEGRACABRA said:

Just noticed how cool those sparkling and muzzle flash effects are.

The lighting on the bloody head is pretty sweet, the loop brings out a lot more than the video does.

I believe the QuakeCon footage showed dynamic dismemberment. I know there was talk of how chunks of flesh were being blown off the Imp.

So I think it's safe to say that the Revanant's armor might be chipped and/or shot off. I really hope so, because I think dynamic dismemberment would be a natural evolution for Doom's satisfying gunplay.

That clipping is ineviteable. It happens in practically any 3D model you ever see.

To prevent clipping they'd need some seriously hardcore physics simulations to deform the muscles, cables, hair, etc... whatever else a character has on them. Hair is now possible, so is cloth, and cables would probably fall in line with the cloth. Muscles and all that probably not any time soon.

The Doom 3 marine's crouching animation and other awkward animations like this always have clipping. His foot is going into his shin as he bends down.

In Unreal Tournament 3, when characters aim downwards, their hands are at super awkward angles and if they have arm pads or something, the hand will clip through the arm pads.

It's basically something you almost never notice.

The new Revenant is pretty cool but I still think the Doom 3 version is the best.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

How bad, The launchers on his Shoulder look very horrible .

Umm what? If you're saying the launchers look bad, I'd have to strongly disagree.

DooM_RO said:

The new Revenant is pretty cool but I still think the Doom 3 version is the best.

Right, Very *Harmonic*

AD_79 said:

Umm what? If you're saying the launchers look bad, I'd have to strongly disagree.

Not sure if the Launchers or the revenant .

[The D4 Rev] Looks pretty sexy to me. He's like the gruesome hunchbacked kid nobody liked because he was ugly, and so when he went to hell his hunchback got some upgrades and now he commits his revenge.

AD_79 said:

Same here, the D4 Revenant is great. I also like the Doom 3 Revenant even if it looks like a Power Ranger.

The new revenant looks gruesome and horrifying. The D3 one always struck to me as if they had to make serious compromises in it's design.

The Revenant from the new trailer really reminds me of Killing Floor 2, from both the character design and movement. I imagine characters in Doom 4 will be 'gibbed' in a similar manner too i.e. a point blank SSG blast will tear chunks off the monsters.

Also to note is that the Revenant looks like it has a prototype exoskeleton stapled to its body (look at the legs), and we have heard that Doomguy may be using an exoskeleton suit in this new game. Ties in nicely to the 'demons absorbing UAC tech' theme.

LANEGRACABRA said:

The new revenant looks gruesome and horrifying. The D3 one always struck to me as if they had to make serious compromises in it's design.

Yeah, I remember being pretty turned the fuck off by it back in the day, but I can appreciate what they were trying to do. The D4 rev looks way better and is much closer to what I would want a modern take on it to look like. They showed it using the jetpack in the reveal and it was cool. They also showed the revenant beating the shit out of the player at the end.

And is it me, or are there no shadows falling on the surface of the D4 rev?! You can clearly see them on the D3 one.

GoatLord said:

And is it me, or are there no shadows falling on the surface of the D4 rev?! You can clearly see them on the D3 one.

Probably not - modern games disable / don't implement self-shadowing a lot of the time. Doom 3 was actually somewhat of an outlier in its thoroughly unified lighting model.

Well, what's that about? I mean, how is it that more than a decade later, with all the upgrades in hardware and optimization, that self-shadowing would be implemented less? Some sort of trade-off for having higher poly models and better shaders?

GoatLord said:

Well, what's that about? I mean, how is it that more than a decade later, with all the upgrades in hardware and optimization, that self-shadowing would be implemented less? Some sort of trade-off for having higher poly models and better shaders?

Well. Id want to make a game with 15-20 monsters on the screen at once. Think of all the processing power those shadows would use. The question is whether the cost is worth it.

Wait... this isn't one of those demon sex things is it? Did we completely misinterpret the thread's purpose?

Speaking of revenants, if they intend to "introduce" them again, hope we can see how one comes into being. By the way, "unholy union of flesh and metal" do you think the flesh comes from the living or they have meat of their own? Sounds bit too Dead Space-y, perhaps.

I always thought it was A: an unholy demon that looks like a skeleton or B: alien technology trying to bring a skeleton back to life and the backpack lets it live again.

Why is a Revenant so tall? Because it was between an Imp and a Hell Knight, but died in the process. Then the aliens were like its not very cost effective to reanimate all the skeletal humans, let's only put them on the almost Hell Knights.

Sadly their superiors told them well if it doesn't fire projectiles what good is it to be so big? Then an alien scientist (an imp that found a pair of glasses) spoke up.... we can attach something to launch projectiles. Like we did for the cyber demon. No you guys can do better than that. Don't we have some sort of homing missiles we can use? You're right we do! They're too big for hands, but I guess they do have a backpack.

Upon the first revenant's awakening as an unholy creature it fired rockets everywhere in the room, killing one of the alien scientists. One turned to the other and said we'll have to tweak some things, but I think we nailed it on the first try. Well done alien scientist, well done. Does that mean I get a raise?