Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SavageCorona

Boss fight map

I made a map testing out what kind of things I could do with a particular boss. It features all 3 difficulties, a secret megasphere and a secret BFG. Tell me what you thought of it like how hard it was, how the level looked aesthetically and how it played etc.

Download

You also need duketex.wad available here
As well as the actual boss wad itself which you can get here

I plan possibly on implementing this into my other small level pack at the end if it's decent enough.

I didn't like how the map looked or played. D_RUNNIN music gave me bad impression at first. Then, as soon as I opened the door, I've noticed that the borderline middle texture metal panels don't have a back side, which makes them look illogical from the start place. The map itself was ridiculously oversized and mostly flat room, containing huge surfaces covered by a single texture with strong tiling pattern, usage of detail was random/amateurish, and all of this made the map look bland and ugly.

The gameplay was not enjoyable because of the messy monster placement around a huge open area. The monsters were barely visible behind the bars (annoying) and all of them stayed on ground level (not enough vertical gameplay) and at great distance from the player (inefficient for combat). All gameplay consisted of running around a plain ground in a plain map while constantly being bombarded by random projectiles from everywhere, and that was no real fun.

The boss spent most of time infighting with other monsters. You can change that by giving him +NOINFIGHTING flag in his DECORATE script (if you include the boss into your wad, feel free to change his DECORATE) and making sure that he will target the player before any other monster can damage him. Also, I thought the map would end when the boss is killed. You can easily do it by assigning an ACS execute action on him (will be executed when he dies), and write a simple ACS script that waits a few seconds and then exits the level.

All in all, this boss map design didn't appeal to me, sorry. At least I've tried to explain why. Take it as you want.

I did initially have the monster end the game in the actions but it instantly just quit the second his health went to 0 instead of waiting a second for it to actually die. I'm also no coder so I'm not really able to add in my own code to anything. I'm also not gonna change the music to a single level wad.

ACS is not that hard:

#include "zcommon.acs"

SCRIPT 1 (void) {
  delay(350);                 // Wait 10 seconds (35 tics = 1 second, feel free to change the value)
  Exit_Normal(0);             // End map
}
Put this script into the SCRIPTS window. Then let it execute when the boss dies via ACS Execute action (script number = 1).

Also, you can easily change music to another D2 one by redefining MAP01 via MAPINFO, or by SetMusic function in ACS. D_RUNNIN was really underwhelming in this map, so much overplayed the track is.

I tried out this script and it didn't seem to really do anything at all.

Also is there a way to make it end the game without going to the Map07 text screen and the monster lineup?

1. You must have done something differently than I told you in the post above.
2. Yes, put EndTitle into the map's MAPINFO. If you want something more specific to happen, feel free to learn MAPINFO.