Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

The Super Shotgun reload animation

The teaser didn't give us much to dissect, so throw me a bone. Anywho, I noticed that both shells are loaded at once, instead of more realistically loading one shell at a time. I know this is how Doom 2 handled the animation and I believe Doom 3 and RAGE as well (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm assuming it's because loading both shells would take longer and therefore slow down the game. If so, I appreciate what they're going for, but I feel it would be ideal if Doomguy simply loads both shells individually, but does so very quickly.

What are your thoughts on this important matter?

I thought they always loaded 2 at once. Hunting with my uncles they load 2 at once. Not 100% of the time, but they still manage to do it consistently. One at a time is easier, but I'm sure people that have done it an excessive amount, improve their method.

Maybe the shells come 2 at a time, like they're stapled together to make it easier.

It honestly looks too fast for me to tell. Maybe there was one in the barrel already. Either way, it looks like a cinematic and not what we'll see when we play the game.

geo said:

Either way, it looks like a cinematic and not what we'll see when we play the game.

Honestly it looks very much like it's in-game footage.

LANEGRACABRA said:

Heh, imagine saying that years ago with these graphics!

LANEGRACABRA said:

I suppose what I meant was gameplay. There are cinematic in a lot of game engines, but it doesn't look like what you'd see in game. If it is in gameplay that's quite the zoom to look at the shotgun sideways and take up the full screen. Also do people load a gun with their right hand or left?

geo said:

I suppose what I meant was gameplay. There are cinematic in a lot of game engines, but it doesn't look like what you'd see in game. If it is in gameplay that's quite the zoom to look at the shotgun sideways and take up the full screen. Also do people load a gun with their right hand or left?

Usually, it's the hand they aren't using to hold the weapon.

If that answer seems obvious and non-specific, that's because it depends entirely on the person's dominant hand or eye, what kind of gun they're using, and how they're reloading.

LANEGRACABRA said:

It looks very much like the footage I saw at Quakecon. I don't remember the DB shotgun reload being quite that close-up, but it's perfectly possible it's changed since then. Obviously, the Revenant footage was shot from a cinematic camera view, with some post-processing DOF effects thrown in, but all that aside, this reflects the graphical fidelity I saw in-game.

I really don't mind this at all. All I really care about is if the reload time is fast, or balanced enough for gameplay.