Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
clarry

coop wads with iwad singleplayer-like progression?

I'm about to do two-player co-op with someone who hasn't ever played Doom before. Now the iwads' network mode item placement is very death matchy, and pwads commonly go even crazier, both with the items and monsters. I get it -- hordes, big guns and boss monsters on the first map are fun and perfectly acceptable for the players who have seen it all before and are just out to have a good time, but I think it also looks spammy and might ruin the experience for a newbie.

So I'd like to play a wad whose coop progresses more or less like the classic single player, starting with relatively easy and short maps, introducing new guns and monsters as you progress. Any recommendations?

It needs to work in chocolate-doom, crispy-doom, or prboom(+).

I don't really care whether the visuals are classic iwad style or something more modern -- in fact it'd be fun to play both styles. Difficulty shouldn't ramp up to insane (for obvious reasons), but it's ok if it's a little tougher than '93 doom :-) We'll be playing with mice...

My lost maps series have rather short and easy maps(apart from MAP15, MAP31, MAP33 from lost maps 2 and MAP15 from lost maps 1)

Memento Mori (and/or MM2) would seem like obvious candidates, the first in particular had a co-op focus.

Marswar should be perfect for an inexperienced player I think, with slow difficulty progression and overall carefree mood.

TVR.wad good design overall. Nice aesthetics
Fragport.wad for the puzzle-lovers
twzone2.wad kind of silly at times
d2twid.wad very faithful reinterpretation of iwad maps
dot.wad Pretty great for 1998 release date
av.wad for when you are moderately skilled at Doom
hr2.wad for when you are good at Doom

Those are all coop-compatible megawads and compatible with a limit-removing port AFAIK. After a while you might want to introduce some dehacked weapons mods. There are some great ones by Xaser, WildWeasel, Cory Whittle and others....