Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

InstantDoom: screw #weaponchanges

Hi guys, I'm back again with another awesome Doom mod!!!

In today's fast paced, tweeting, snapchatting, yo-ing world, who wants to wait for your stupid pistol to rise up from the bottom of the screen? Or when you pick up a shotgun, you have to wait for your current gun to sloowwwwly drop down... and then a few millennia later your shotgun finally saunters into view... UGH!

Well, those days are over with

~~~InstantDoom~~~

(GIF recorded in real time)

That's right, with this simple DeHackEd file, you no longer have to wait around for weapon transitions! Pretend Doom is a fast-twitch game instead of the glacial snorefest we've all endured for several decades!

Download now!!

(realtalk: for some reason it occurred to me today that you could use DeHackEd to make weapon changes instantaneous, even in vanilla Doom, but no one had ever noticed or attempted it. 15 minutes later, here we are.)

I laughed. I cried. I did so very rapidly! Thank you, instant changes!

Now my selfie-stick can always be at my every beck and call. I never miss a candid moment!

I made this EXACT dehacked file about 3-4 years ago and thought people would hate it! Shows how much I know!

ZDaemon has had this DMFLAG in server configuration settings for a long time, even before 1.09, for anyone who is in the server hosting business.

Now deathmatch can be even more quakelike!!!

I approve.

Linguica said:

(realtalk: for some reason it occurred to me today that you could use DeHackEd to make weapon changes instantaneous, even in vanilla Doom, but no one had ever noticed or attempted it. 15 minutes later, here we are.)

joe-ilya said:

Man, when you have both shotguns and hold the shotgun slot.

Indeed. It is terrible. This is why I rejected this idea when I wanted to implement it in my own wad once.

At least the game doesn't crash when I die, which is what happened to me with my own DEHACKED. Impressive trick with Unknown DEHACKED fields instead of zero duration Lower and Raise states.

Doomkid said:

I made this EXACT dehacked file about 3-4 years ago and thought people would hate it! Shows how much I know!

I think it was already done way back, as soon as people saw Quake and wondered if they could make Doom work that way too.

I think you forgot something there. Something along the lines of "Not to be confused with InstaDoom". Or something like that.

<h1>wheres my giant text?</h1>

I won a duel league using Ling's deh three years ago. Oh wait.

Doomkid said:

Did you set the misc1/misc2 fields to the right values, or make the weapon switch states zero-length? (Because, yeah, that locks up the game when you die.)

I ask only because it seems like the function of the misc fields have never really been properly documented.

MFG38 said:

I think you forgot something there. Something along the lines of "Not to be confused with InstaDoom". Or something like that.

Great now I can stop being spawnkilled in duels and secretly crying deep down even though I know this is allowed to happen.

major bump but, I am trying to figure out how this (and the toned down version in D4V) works, and wanted to ask if you might be willing to provide some more information on it Linguica. it looks like in this version, with the truly instant switches, you're using 2 magic values in the extra parameters of the raise/lower states of each weapon, which seem to be sprite offsets. my understanding is that the game detects the lower/raise state complete when the weapon sprite is fully offscreen or fully visible, respectively, and these magic offsets make that happen from the start of the animation cycle, causing the switching to be instant. is that correct?

what I really can't figure out is how a more slow version of this was accomplished in the latest version of D4V. looking at D4V.deh, it looks like each weapon's lower/raise states are unchanged. however, there seems to be an extra 0-length frame with a random weapon action inserted after the first firing frame of each weapon, and that 0-length frame has some offsets on it. even if my understanding of the instant version is correct, I have no idea how to explain why these extra firing frames are causing the faster weapon switching D:

I haven't inspected the D4V 1.2 DEH. But the general principle I outlined is that you use a magic number to forcibly set the offset of the weapon sprite. Since the weapon raise / lower triggers based on the offset of the sprite, this lets you set up a sequence where you forcibly align the sprite to, say, halfway up, and then have a second looping frame that continues the rest of the raise / lower normally.

aha ok, that does make a lot of the sense. cheers @Linguica, really appreciate the explanation! I'll post in the D4V thread about Noiser's specific implementation then