Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Carmack On DOOM And More...

We actually screwed up at E3 -- we should have been running it at high quality settings (uncompressed textures, anisotropic filtering), but we were chasing some problems the first day, and it got set back to medium quality. The problems had gone away, so we left it that way, rather than risk changing it back.

Source: Shacknews

An interview with John Carmack and Trent Reznor here:

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,52835,00.html

Enjoy!

YAY!#¤%&/
The end result gets even better :-]

That was MEDIUM QUALITY ? Holy Jesus. I'm listening to the audio interview with Carmack & Reznor right now, and recording it. If it's worth it I'll upload the MP3 somewhere.

EDIT : I've uploaded the whole 18-minute interview to http://www.doomworld.com/lordflathead/storage/carmack-reznor-e32002.mp3 (6.4 MB). Of course, the interview is still property of Wired News radio. Respect.

If that was medium quality what oh what will high quality be like?!?
/me faints in disbelief

id rules !!!
I think even the low quality settings would look much better than any other game out there....

Unreal ?? hahahahaha

It could be a trick. Maybe Carmack said that just to hide the fact that 75% of the engine is yet unfinished and the demo was pre-rendered :P

Well if it's just texture compression and anisotropic filtering, the difference wouldn't be all that visible - especially in a blurry ShakyCam(tm) video.

It looks much better in the blurry ShakyCam video than in the high-res screenshots, of course. All edges appear to be rounded, surfaces become less visibly flat, etc, etc...

Fredrik said:

I think you know what I mean though :)

I get what you mean, but overall, I'd say that they look better in the Legacy video.

dsm said:

I get what you mean, but overall, I'd say that they look better in the Legacy video.

Yeah, well, I'm thinking more of the high resolution screenshots. It becomes very evident in those that it's a game, while from both movies you can hardly tell any polygon edges.

Fredrik said:

Yeah, well, I'm thinking more of the high resolution screenshots. It becomes very evident in those that it's a game, while from both movies you can hardly tell any polygon edges.

A nice way to fix that is to play with a combination of gamma/brightness/contrast that doesn't make pitch black look like dark grey.

Zaldron said:

A nice way to fix that is to play with a combination of gamma/brightness/contrast that doesn't make pitch black look like dark grey.

Well I have a high contrast monitor that for some reason exposes details more than other monitors that I've seen do (although I have it at a low brightness level now).