Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yuki Senmatsu

Cave/Mine themed maps?

Hi.

I'm getting back to the NIGHTMARE! Palace and does anyone know any good mine or cave themed maps for ideas? It's for The Mine Of Souls (MAP02)

Thanks in advance.

-Omegalore

Map 11 from Alien Vendetta. Possibly my favorite map ever. It has some amazing cave areas integrated with this mountaintop city thing going on.

Matter of fact, I might go play it right now.

This is one of the hardest themes to pull off I think, the problem being that you can't go too crazy with texture variety in a cave but at the same time you don't want it to look boring. It's hard to make an interesting layout when all tunnels, ravines, etc feel exactly the same. Personally, I think most of such maps suck because they just repeat the same structural idea a hundred times with minimal variety. It's a classic case of realism harming Doom.

I would recommend e6y3 for inspiration: the approach to the theme is notably creative, nothing feels like a rehash of another area. It has quite a unique feel I haven't seen in any other wad and the soundtrack is kickass.

Memfis said:

This is one of the hardest themes to pull off I think, the problem being that you can't go too crazy with texture variety in a cave but at the same time you don't want it to look boring. It's hard to make an interesting layout when all tunnels, ravines, etc feel exactly the same. Personally, I think most of such maps suck because they just repeat the same structural idea a hundred times with minimal variety. It's a classic case of realism harming Doom.

Yeah, that theme can be a bit of a thing. I did plan on The NIGHTMARE! Palace for 4 years.

So far I'm diggin' the ideas so far (No pun intended). Getting somewhere :)

I think that all of my maps from nova 2 involves caves in some way, i don't know why, but i like the theme.

Whispers of Satan maps 17-18-19 I recall.

Requiem - The Reactor (MAP08) has quite a memorable progression centered around a series of mines and caves.

The most impressive mine/cave map I've seen so far is You Dig. Something about the gimmick it has just gets me sold.

Ven said:

The most impressive mine/cave map I've seen so far is You Dig. Something about the gimmick it has just gets me sold.

That was a 90s' saying for cool or something or other since I grew up in that year.

Some maps kinda didn't cut it for me for ideas. Still getting someplace.

So far Valiant and Alien Vendetta are the best ones for ideas.