Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Face23785

Doom 64 Doom 3 Levels

So I was playing Doom 64 recently, and it occurred to me that it is definitely closer to Doom 3 than the original games are (although not by much, obviously). They both are darker and more atmospheric and a little bit slower paced. It made me think, were there any maps made in Doom 64 style or even attempted conversions of Doom 64 levels in Doom 3? Does anyone else think that would be interesting?

In Hell (http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Fixed_In_Hell_Directors_Cut;83607) has a definite Doom64 touch. It uses some ambient tracks from D64 and has similar level design, where you need to explore to find buttons that open the corresponding doors, which creates a nice non-linear flow in some levels.

Tested (http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Tested_;116800) included a remake of the start map from Doom64, but as far as I remember it looked quite amateurish

In Hell feels more like PSX Doom, rather than Doom 64, but is amazing, of course. Tested is much closer to Doom 64. There's many remakes of Doom 64 maps, like Alpha Quadrant.

I think there's also a straight remake of the Alpha Quadrant level in another mod. I forget what the mod is called. It requires RoE and is supposed to be "hard" according to the description.

I just looked at that Tested mod you posted above and I think that's actually the one.

Archi said:

In Hell feels more like PSX Doom, rather than Doom 64, but is amazing, of course.

For me PSX Doom feels like regular Doom with a Doom64 vibe, but I only know the TC so who knows.

This thread made me replay Tested, and so far it's quite fun, hard but rewarding. I once played an older version of the mod, the newest version is more polished. Recommended!

GoatLord said:

I've always felt Doom 3 and Doom 64 shared a lot of aesthetic and gameplay similarities.

Can you expand on this? You've got me interested.

Tetzlaff said:

For me PSX Doom feels like regular Doom with a Doom64 vibe, but I only know the TC so who knows.

PSX Doom was the basis for Doom 64. The PlayStation rendered the maps brighter, so all of the maps were darkened. I prefer it that way, though. It gives the game a more horrific atmosphere.

Piper Maru said:

Can you expand on this? You've got me interested.

Both games feature:

• Impressive lighting
• Lots of darkness
• Stronger puzzle elements than Doom 1 and 2
• A more macabre art style
• Less overall action than Doom 1 and 2
• Slower pacing
• A dark ambient soundtrack
• More focus on horror