Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannebubinga

Made a map. Q1 themed

Hello. I've been having some trouble coming up with ideas for some time, so I threw together this speed map a while ago.

It's hard as balls, but fun still.

I present to you: Dannefest01

:]

Man. I've been a big spectre hater for a while, but I think this is the first map that made me loathe demons too. Move fuckers, I need to dodge these missiles!

The most frightening thing here is that it isn't immediately apparent that you're doing bad. You're just circlestrafing, shooting at the revenants a little, everything seems fine... But then the arch-viles appear and suddenly you realize that you weren't quick enough in killing the revs. Hard shit lol. Also I miss gggmork and his rants\demos.

Hmm ok. That's just a mistake. No biggie though.

That was a short FDA Archi. You almost had it :(

Memfis: Good thing you found it frightening. I also miss gggmork though. Maybe Grain of salt can login his account and make some quality posts to ease our anxiety.

Well played Archi! I love that you decided to use saves, but never had to use them :) The map gets a lot easier once you figure out how to clear out the pinkies and revenants. I hope you enjoyed it.

While annoyingly difficult GoS SF2011 era copycat may be probably considered a fun activity - don't you have some collaborative megawad to finish?.. All this waiting is unbearable.

Speaking from experience, you'll grow to hate doom mapping if you make yourself work full force exclusively on your magnum opus. I believe its necessary, and probably a vital part of working on a major project to set some time aside to make maps for less ambitious projects in order to replenish your interest in mapping.

Sometimes when you have a giant map(s) thats 90% done, getting that final 10% is a real chore. So even though id rather be playing sunlust, the fact that both Ribbiks and Dannebubinga are making maps that aren't going to be used in it is actually a very good thing.

demonologist: Making tributes to GoS is just as important as making Sunlust! You have to wait some more. A year or so.

40oz: Words of wisdom right there. It's those damn 10% that's killing me atm. But the mappers block is over for now at least. Been mapping all weekend and will continue tomorrow. It was nice to "release" a map just for fun and get a FDA. It reminded me how fun it is to release stuff :)

dannebubinga said:

shenanigans on your time aswell :)

It's not hard once you get the rocket launcher and spam it at everything

40oz is of course right, though my post wasn't meant to be serious. Except for that part about the waiting though. I'd love to see more maps from both Danne and Ribbiks.

On a more serious note - this should be put instead of the current map07 of Slaughterfest 3 (dead simple, huh huh, yeah, right). Assuming that the project is still alive, that is, as its state looks more like rigor mortis now.

Come on, let's make GoS nostalgic!

SavageCorona said:

It's not hard once you get the rocket launcher and spam it at everything

You should start recording instead of posting time tables. I'm very interested in your ultra-skill.

If it was just "to spam", then you wouldn't have any trouble doing it again while recording, right? ;)

Its even easier when you type iddqd

Something tells me that "ultra-skill" involves playing in ZDoom where you can run on demons' heads. :)

This level is too tough for me to beat...

...but damn, if there was ever a level that gave you hope every time it gibbed you, it's this one. Every run gets a little bit more successful! Truly a challenge but I doubt I'm ultra-violent enough for it.

And to those who haven't played it: you're going to want to have a mirror nearby so you can see the look on your face once the level begins. 10/10

After like 30 persistent tries I broke into a cold sweat at the archvile part. Then killed some pain elementals, loaded up on rockets and was too tense to handle the imp/baron spam part logically.

It feels like there's a lot of luck involved with the beginning part, because even after coming up with a usable strategy I usually have a 50/50 chance of surviving the initial 30 seconds.

This map kicked my butt, as my usual first attempts do. I think ill come back to this tomorrow after a refreshing nights sleep and have another go at it.

dannebubinga said:

You should start recording instead of posting time tables. I'm very interested in your ultra-skill.

If it was just "to spam", then you wouldn't have any trouble doing it again while recording, right? ;)

My ultra skill came from this glitch I had where I couldn't take any damage for some reason

SavageCorona said:

My ultra skill came from this glitch I had where I couldn't take any damage for some reason

Aha ... The famous iddqd-glitch.

Allie: Thanks for the 10/10 haha. Glad you liked it and glad it gave you hope! Once you beat the first part of the map, the rest isn't nearly as hard. Try again! :)

Will watch Protox demo later.

Next up: OHWOW.WAD... We put player in an untextured cage surrounded on all sides with cyberdemons.

Come on man, this is troll map.

hex11 said:

Come on man, this is troll map.

you're out of your element, Donnie.

I call maps like these "slaughter puzzles." ToD, GoS, and ggg made a lot of stuff like this as well. For best results you should know the map ahead of time, work out the safest strats, then badaboom go record a demo and feel good about yourself... or something. Definitely doesn't seem like your cup of tea hex, but I'm quite a fan of stuff like this so I'm glad people are still making it :D

here's another demo in case you want to watch me play this again danne: https://www.mediafire.com/?4n7xahnv566ab23

I cheese your revenants by getting rockets early :p

^that was my strategy too, but you gotta be quick about beating those pinkies from blocking your fall and biting your toes. I couldn't get it to work more than 70% of the time.

Ribbiks said:

I call maps like these "slaughter puzzles."
For best results you should know the map ahead of time, work out the safest strats, then badaboom go record a demo and feel good about yourself...

I see your point, and I like puzzles also, but I wasn't expecting this when I loaded the map. I thought it was just a "hard" Quake 1 style map, and there's not enough Q1 Doom maps, so hey let's have fun exploring this bad boy. Only then I find out you're completely swarmed right out the gate without a BFG, and there's no clear route to a place you can sorta defend. I stuck around long enough to wall-hump the four map edges just to see if they would open, but I guess you're just supposed to kill everything in this mini-arena.

Now I hope nobody calls me an asshole when in a map I made there's no convenient weapon in start area, and instead there's a bunch of troopers all around taking pot shots at you with their puny pea shooters, so you have to move around immediately and run past them. Because if not I can replace them with lotsa revenants. AAAAAAaaaaaaaaa. :-)

While it's understandable that there's a very thin line between batshit insane but clever stuff and unbalanced turd in the eyes of general public - we, esoteric masochistic deathcult, see the difference and appreciate tough challenge, and I'm going to defend Danne as a master of hardcore gameplay because he is. Yes, he goes overboard with hordes at times, but them's the breaks.

I guess it's just about expectations. I read the OP description and was imagining something closer to The Darkening, maybe just harder. This wasn't at all like that, and I was in for a rude shock. A simple screenshot of the "spread" after the walls come down would have made it clear what kind of wad this is.