Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yeah, what AD_79 said. Don't post things in more than one place please. That's not a good idea.

Rofl this looks like some shit from the original Simpsons Doom from the mid 90's. MsPaint Donuts.

I actually wouldn't mind that at all, but they're "laying flat" rather than upwards with rotations angles :(

And the corpses float when they're dead.

Score: 999/9999

I've run through /idgames and found too many "packs" that replace the Cacodemon, and the Cacodemon only, by all different kind of stuff, generally pretty awful to be honest.

I don't understand why it is so trendy to replace that poor Cacodemon by all those monstrosities. Please leave the Cacodemon alone!

scifista42 said:

Random MSPaint-esque ugly sprites = no good at all, and it will never be.

Actually I think it could work as long as it is consistent with other retextures. Much like simpsons Doom for example.

MSPaint-style graphics are not likely to give a good impression either way, plus I said random, which means out of context (not a consistent mod like Simpsons Doom).

Me too. Graphics in Adventures of Square actually look artistic and stylish, and consistent and inspiring. But sorry, this thing here is just a random scribble.

scifista42 said:

MSPaint-style graphics are not likely to give a good impression either way, plus I said random, which means out of context (not a consistent mod like Simpsons Doom).

Firstly, I don't mean to sound like a grammar nazi but, I think you mean spontaneous or inconsistent. Random doesn't mean "out of context". But no biggy.
Any way, I say it depends on how well you can use MSPaint. You can make something cartoony like Simpsons Doom or to Memfis' point Adventures of Square, and it can be good. This mod however is *out of context* with the rest of the game but if more retextures are added(and newer sounds), it could be pretty good.

EDIT: I meant, it depends on how well you use your content and how good it is. Rather than how you can use MSPaint itself. My bad.

nxGangrel said:

if more retextures are added(and newer sounds), it could be pretty good.

But only if done competently. Wrameses already made an atrocious wad with multiple new graphics and sounds. And that's why I think it would be a bad idea to encourage him to continue it.

FWIW, Doom 3 (Mr. Smiley Head's Safari) is basically a grab-bag of MS Paint graphics and funny sounds, but it works pretty well as a whole. I guess if you just replaced a single monster, then it would clash with the regular "why so serious?" Doom graphics.

Also liked fiffy8 (REoL TOUGH: Castle of the Damned) and schooldl (School Doom).

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=combos/d3safv60.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/d-f/fiffy8l.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/s-u/schooldl.zip

Even better, play them with old version of Freedoom, like 0.6.4 maybe. Mix and match all the above for great fun!

scifista42 said:

But only if done competently. Wrameses already made an atrocious Wad with multiple new graphics and sounds. And that's why I think it would be a bad idea to encourage him to continue it.

Good point. But if this wasn't Wrameses... well you get the point.

Memfis said:

Well, people seem to like Adventures of Square...

Square, while it has a cartoony MSPaint-ish look, has an excellent art style, and the graphical work is high enough quality to look like much more than simple MSPaint doodles.