Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zzzornbringer

P.T. for doom?!

that's just a random idea i had. recently, i watched this:

i think it's a pretty neat concept. it's just a small corridor that loops a couple of times. each time you walk around it, you trigger some events.

with doom always being at the back of my head, i obviously thought about doing something like this for doom.

i mean, it's very easy for me to script some events on certain conditions. with some adjustments to the concept, like widen the corridor to fit doomguy's speed, add a few weapons and maybe more. i haven't really thought about it that much but i find the general idea very intriguing.

what do you think? would this be something you would like to do? how would you adopt certain things to make the concept work better for doom?

Heh, I thought this was going to be about how to do PT to be fit like the Doom Marine.

Add some scripted drill instructors -preferably with some real yelling voices- and mocking opponents of sorts.

zzzornbringer said:

i think it's a pretty neat concept. it's just a small corridor that loops a couple of times. each time you walk around it, you trigger some events.

I've made a few levels like this just for personal amusement. They weren't that amusing. ;)

To be fair, they were just "proof of concept" or idle doodling maps. I guess it could work and with scripting you can loop to the same location but have very different things happen each time you visit and even have the location look quite different but there isn't really much point in most cases. From a mapping perspective, It's easier just to make another location for each new event.

It might work better with a source port of Doom that supports portals since that might make it more seamless. You could probably get away with it with silent transports but I imagine portals would be easier to pull off in a not so obvious way.

MetroidJunkie said:

It might work better with a source port of Doom that supports portals since that might make it more seamless. You could probably get away with it with silent transports but I imagine portals would be easier to pull off in a not so obvious way.

the way i try to do it is with just one circular corridor. there's one door that will change a variable when you open it. within the corridor, there are other triggers that depend on the variable.

so, practically it looks like this: you walk around the corridor once, nothing happens. you open the door, the variable is set to 1. you walk around the corridor again, reach a certain spot that checks if x=1. if x=1, something happens.

so, you can also have multiple triggers within the same corridor. no need to port you to a copy of that corridor. you can even make walls disappear and open new sectors within just one corridor. or lower a wall and force the character to turn around... lots of possibilities.

Piper Maru said:

Are there any other Silent Hill mods for Doom? I'd be very interested in checking them out.

I played a wad which was supposedly Brookhaven Hospital and it was fucking awful.

I would look for it but it was very easily forgettable and was part of a megawad so...sorry.

Piper Maru said:

Are there any other Silent Hill mods for Doom? I'd be very interested in checking them out.

Not really a mod, just experimenting:

By the way, the P.T. idea for Doom is interesting...

Piper Maru said:

ToD's ESP:
MAP04 is Rosewater Park from Silent Hill 2
MAP12 is Brookhaven Hospital from Silent Hill 2
Disclaimer: not a megawad for llamas, as Hoodie must have found out for himself.

Never_Again said:

Disclaimer: not a megawad for llamas, as Hoodie must have found out for himself.

I can't help that slaughter is lazy game design.

I did mean that the map was bad though, but I guess people can think the map is good for some weird reason.

I just started creating an atmospheric mod in the vein of Silent Hill. It would take a considerable amount of scripting, so you can imagine I've been mostly just testing things unsuccessfully in ZDoom.

Piper Maru said:

Unloved is as close as you get probably.

Hoodie said:

I can't help that slaughter is lazy game design.

Try to be more open minded. Well, sometimes a mapper just lazily fills his level with lots of monsters. That doesn't mean that slaughter is generally lazy design. I dislike slaughter gameplay, but I can see how it's legitly fun for people who enjoy it, if the map is made competently. This recent post by Demonologist sums it up:

Demonologist said:

While it's understandable that there's a very thin line between batshit insane but clever stuff and unbalanced turd in the eyes of general public - we, esoteric masochistic deathcult, see the difference and appreciate tough challenge, and I'm going to defend Danne as a master of hardcore gameplay because he is. Yes, he goes overboard with hordes at times, but them's the breaks.

Honestly, we decided to make this wad by THIS thread.

Edited by DeXiaZ

Wasn't there a secret level on some slaughter megawad that recreated Brookhaven that had puzzles?

On 30/5/2015 at 9:06 PM, Piper Maru said:

Here's a Silent Hill mod for Doom 3.

Okey, I may get wet a lil bit. 

6 hours ago, Neurosis said:

@DeXiaZ good luck, I'd be happy to see it remade, might even play it myself if that were the case 

Thank you! Currently I doesn't work with this mod, I've just uploaded a video about old beta.

But I think I'll finish it someday.

9 hours ago, Glaice said:

Wasn't there a secret level on some slaughter megawad that recreated Brookhaven that had puzzles?

Might have been Eternal Slumber Party by TimeofDeath

I know this might sound arrogant or whatever, but I was working on a horror project called "Project Legacy" for GZDoom many years ago, which featured the exact same looping hallway idea that P.T. popularized.

6 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I know this might sound arrogant or whatever, but I was working on a horror project called "Project Legacy" for GZDoom many years ago, which featured the exact same looping hallway idea that P.T. popularized.

The looping hallway concept isn't new, I've seen such thing even in "Stalker: Call of Pripyat".

But I'd like to see this hallway from your "Project Legacy".