Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beed28

DeHackEd infinite ammo issue

Hi all! I finally decided to join this particular community.

I made an infinite ammo patch in DeHackEd for those source ports (as well as vanilla) that don't have infinite ammo built in. It works fine, except...

The ammo stats, specifically shells, in the bottom right-hand corner gets corrupted. Any way to solve this, or is it a limitation of DeHackEd?

I knew exactly what this was going to be about before I clicked on it. There is no way around it - doom2.exe has an overflow bug that makes the pointer to a weapon's ammo count bleed over into the max shells value when you set it to infinite ammo.

Ah well. The glitched display shouldn't present too much of a problem. Thanks for the information.

It's not just a glitched display, the shotguns will also stop working. Another way would be to make all the max/pickup ammo values 999999999.

Can't you get around that by making the BFG use 0 cells per shot? That's what I did, although obviously that only works for one gun.

TimeOfDeath said:

It's not just a glitched display, the shotguns will also stop working. Another way would be to make all the max/pickup ammo values 999999999.

The only thing I noticed, at least with vanilla and chocolate, is that the chaingun's attack doesn't work properly when the max shell number reaches zero, but starts working again when firing another weapon and the number goes into the negatives.

The shotguns still seem to work for me.

I must have misremembered... the shotguns are still working here too. Seriously, it feels like I'm in a psychological thriller movie right now.

Obsidian said:

Can't you get around that by making the BFG use 0 cells per shot? That's what I did, although obviously that only works for one gun.

Correct! This is how the proton pack in Ghostbusters Doom has infinite ammo. The plasma gun fires BFG shots and vice versa; the BFG shot is set to use 0 ammo. You swap a few code pointers for the BFG effects and you have an infinite plasma gun.