Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Revenant Theories

Recommended Posts

I've heard many theories about what exactly the revenant is. The one that I agree with the most is that the revenant was an attempt by the UAC to combat the demons by using corpses of marines outfitted with rocket launchers. The corpses became possessed by evil spirits.

The rest are just thoughts I added later.

The squad of Marines used in this experiment met their fate at the hands of a group of Mancubi. Their flesh and most of the muscle were burned from their skeletons. The revenant is in constant pain due to it's exposed muscle and bone, which is why it screams in apparent agony. It punches you because it is a dead marine utilizing it's martial arts training.

Share this post


Link to post

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Revenant :

According to the manual: Apparently when a demon dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You wish your missiles did what his can do.

Share this post


Link to post

I figured Revenants were undead "Douche Bros" and guys who wore those bro tanks, who are just trying to say hello. They lean in your face as they shove a totally tubular shart that smells radically nasty, but they shoot missiles at you instead. Then they try to give you a friendly bro punch on the shoulder, only to break your jaw into several pieces. They really are an unfortunate victim of the Demon apocalypse.

Share this post


Link to post

They're way too tall to be dead marines or any humans, unfortunately. Revenants are almost double the height of the doomguy and former humans. They share a similar framework and animations with the arch-vile, though. So I always assumed that the demons that are "dusted off" to create revenants would have to be arch-viles. There's no other Doom enemy that would make sense, unless there's some breed of demon we never see in the games.

Share this post


Link to post

I guess Archi's manual quote covers it, they're just reanimated demons that the Archviles (or something else) decide to resurrect somewhat differently. Good thing there's no such thing as an Archvile that resurrects everything as Revenants, or else I'd be really agitated....

Share this post


Link to post

According to the manual: Apparently when a demon dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear, and send him back into battle. No rest for the wicked, eh? You wish your missiles did what his can do.

Maybe revenant in his living form was actually a different breed of a pinky demon, which was more cheetah-like in appearance (skinny, tall, agile), but with evolved human attributes as well (head, possibly slightly better smartness than usual demons have, capability of walking on 2 legs as well as running on 4). A demon never encountered in the actual classic Doom games. I can imagine him hunting down a (human?) prey, beating it with claws / punches and then eating it.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

Humans can be tall too, you know.

Pfft yeah, unless you are a basketball player... But revenants do have brown skin... N-n-now I'm not implying all black people go to hell. J-just the ones who denied God for Animism.

Share this post


Link to post
Technician said:

Pfft yeah, unless you are a basketball player... But revenants do have brown skin... N-n-now I'm not implying all black people go to hell. J-just the ones who denied God for Animism.


But you are saying all black people are good at basketball, right?

Share this post


Link to post
TraceOfSpades said:

an attempt by the UAC to combat the demons by using corpses of marines outfitted with rocket launchers.


Why would the UAC start crazy Frankenstein experiments for fighting the demons? Regular soldiers outfitted with rocket launchers are way more effective...

The Revenants are a product of hell's engineering.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

Humans can be tall too, you know.

Revenant is ~1.5 times taller than zombie. Zombie looks like a 180cm tall, so revenant is ~270cm tall. There's not so many people, who is taller than 250cm.

Share this post


Link to post

I always though it was a skeleton of either and imp or any other demon re-built, stretched out, and with armor (and torn pants, but I later found out it was blood).

Share this post


Link to post
raymoohawk said:

the revenant isnt actually that tall, the doomguy is barely over 4 feet tall

Just look at the pose of revenant from right, he isn't even stretched. He is much taller than other humanoids. Even if you think that doomguy is that small.

Share this post


Link to post

According to the doom wiki pixel/feet conversions, Doomguy is about 5'7".

Share this post


Link to post
TraceOfSpades said:

But you are saying all black people are good at basketball, right?

Yes. The contrary would be racist.

Share this post


Link to post

I always just assumed that the Revenant was just an attempt by the demons to make use of corpses that were too far gone to be regular zombiemen. And I just ignore the height issue because height is pretty inconsistent in the Doom universe anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
geekmarine said:

I always just assumed that the Revenant was just an attempt by the demons to make use of corpses that were too far gone to be regular zombiemen. And I just ignore the height issue because height is pretty inconsistent in the Doom universe anyway.

I like that explanation a lot better than who ever wrote the manual's. A human skeleton doesn't look anything like any of the demons.

Share this post


Link to post
TraceOfSpades said:

But you are saying all black people are good at basketball, right?


This shit again already?

Share this post


Link to post

I tend to think Revenants are the remains of an extinct demon race brought back from death to join in with the invading hordes. I think they're too giant to be former humans, unless they all had gigantism.

Share this post


Link to post
TraceOfSpades said:

According to the doom wiki pixel/feet conversions, Doomguy is about 5'7".

Wow, he's my height and I'm still a teen I find that surprising. Any way, I guess B.J from Wolfenstein 3D must of been 10 feet tall since the door nobs in the secret maps are neck level.

Share this post


Link to post
Suitepee said:

I guess Archi's manual quote covers it, they're just reanimated demons that the Archviles (or something else) decide to resurrect somewhat differently. Good thing there's no such thing as an Archvile that resurrects everything as Revenants, or else I'd be really agitated....

Someone needs to make this.

Share this post


Link to post

Linguica, that comment was nothing like what I got loser'd for last week, but if you were offended I apologize.

Share this post


Link to post
TraceOfSpades said:

But you are saying all black people are good at basketball, right?


Actually, College Basketball Players go to Heaven

Professional NBA Players go to Hell to be one hell of a nuisance. Color be damned, because in the end they just become skeletons wearing football gear and rocket launchers.

What I don't get is why both of the Rev's rocket tubes look as if they fire when really only one missile comes at you. Surprisingly, even Beautiful Doom (?) didn't address this issue. Brutal Doom did, though, by making the Rev fire two rockets at once (In one of the versions, I'm pretty sure), but that wasn't cool. That was just annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Clonehunter said:

Actually, College Basketball Players go to Heaven

Professional NBA Players go to Hell to be one hell of a nuisance. Color be damned, because in the end they just become skeletons wearing football gear and rocket launchers.

What I don't get is why both of the Rev's rocket tubes look as if they fire when really only one missile comes at you. Surprisingly, even Beautiful Doom (?) didn't address this issue. Brutal Doom did, though, by making the Rev fire two rockets at once (In one of the versions, I'm pretty sure), but that wasn't cool. That was just annoying.


It'd be nice if only one fired a rocket, and the other served as a tracking device similar to when the military paints a target with a laser.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×