Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Revenant Theories

Recommended Posts

So... Just to recap,

This thread went from discussing revenant theories
to discussing how tall humans can be and comparing it to a revenant
to discussing basketball and black people
to discussing the height of Biblical characters and the Bible in general
to discussing revenant theories again
to an image of a revenant standing next to an undead warrior from Herectic
to discussing dying in Hell
to discussing the plot of Doom and if Doomguy died in E1M8
to discussing revenant theories yet again
to discussing the origins of Cyberdemon rockets and their nature
to coming up with the farfetched "theories" regarding Doom and our existance
to Doom being a state of mind and Plutonia being a state of agitation.
to revenants as agitation elementals
to posting for the sake of posting.

This is officially my new favorite thread!
Thank you TraceofSpades for posting this.

Edit: NEW PAGE!

Share this post


Link to post
Zulk-RS said:

So... Just to recap...

Yeah you pretty much got that right. Best thread of the year!

Share this post


Link to post

What if...
The revenant was somehow releted to the Diglette from Pokemon?

Share this post


Link to post
Alfonzo said:

While listening to a wildlife documentary the other day, I was quite surprised to discover that the Revenant is in fact belonging to a certain family of avian variety. Specifically, the Revenant (or Scoticacorvus haemapantus) is related to the carrion bird, and various other forms of raven, but may only be found natively within the highlands of Scotland.

Typically the Revenant only grows between two to three inches in height, but it adapts to its surroundings by slaughtering other birds, as well as any trespassing Englishmen, and constructing a chassis from the bones of the victim in which it may thrive (within the bone marrow). Hellspawn have taken kindly to this natural trait, and offer a healthy surplus of human and demon body parts in exchange for partnership in war...

Listen carefully for his caw.

Share this post


Link to post
Zulk-RS said:

So... Just to recap,

This thread went from discussing revenant theories
to discussing how tall humans can be and comparing it to a revenant
to discussing basketball and black people
to discussing the height of Biblical characters and the Bible in general
to discussing revenant theories again
to an image of a revenant standing next to an undead warrior from Herectic
to discussing dying in Hell
to discussing the plot of Doom and if Doomguy died in E1M8
to discussing revenant theories yet again
to discussing the origins of Cyberdemon rockets and their nature
to coming up with the farfetched "theories" regarding Doom and our existance
to Doom being a state of mind and Plutonia being a state of agitation.
to revenants as agitation elementals
to posting for the sake of posting.

This is officially my new favorite thread!
Thank you TraceofSpades for posting this.

Edit: NEW PAGE!



All reasons why I've been lurking this thread haven't posted shit yet. I can't add anything more entertaining than what's already here.

Share this post


Link to post

When Revenants go to the gym, work out and buff up, they become Cyberdemons.

Share this post


Link to post

Nope, fat Revenants become Mancs, and instead of running around all the time punching things and learning how to be accurate with the homing missiles, they just become lazy, slow fireball spammers.

Share this post


Link to post

Revenants are the evolved form of lost souls (which may be dead Diglets stuck in purgatory for all we know). When a lost soul reaches level 666, it becomes a revenant. Then Ash Ketchum comes in and he's "Gotta Kill 'em All!" (METALLICA, YEAH!!!)

Doomguy is Ash Ketchum in the future after he joined the Marines.

Besides, Ash Ketchum is an acronym. "And Suddenly, Hellions Killed Everyone, Taggart Came Here, Ultimate Massacre."

Share this post


Link to post
Zulk-RS said:

Thank you.



No problem, brother! I'm glad I could be of service.

Share this post


Link to post
Piper Maru said:

Revenants are the reanimated remains of Ashton Kutcher's career.


Well now we know why it's screaming.

Share this post


Link to post
JudgeDeadd said:

Speaking of the Bible... the Nephilim. They're sometimes interpreted as "giants".

Revenants being originally the Nephilim would fit the demonic/occult/mystical theme.


I would say this is the most reasonable theory in the thread.

Share this post


Link to post

New theory...the revenenant is a failed mashup of several demons. They are brown like imps, tall like archies, shoot rockets like cyberdemons, move quickly like demons, are human shaped, and they scream because they've been driven insane because it has somehow maintained the memories and thought processes of every monster it was spawned from.

Share this post


Link to post

First time I saw this thread. Sounds fun but I'm totally late to the party. Now all but ridiculous theories have been said, I'm sure :(

My theory is a simple one which I'm sure has been said before:
The Revenant's armor is an experimental UAC weapon designed for Marines to wear in combat situations allowing them to shoot explosives and heavily suppress enemies while keeping both hands free to arm with ballistic weaponry. The auto-aiming rockets is to compensate for the Marine's inability to manually aim.

With the corruption of Hell into UAC's Base, the Demons chose to utilize these suits using the bodies of fallen marines. Hell's forces don't shy from using Human technology, like the enhancements of the Cyberdemon Limbs and robotic bodies of the Arachnotron.

Share this post


Link to post

Haven't read all the replies in this thread so it might've been already answered, but in the Doom novels, the revenant (along with the mancubus and chaingunner) are attempts by the aliens to make fake humans. The nice thing about this is that it explains why the revenants are so tall (just picture the aliens saying "how tall are humans again? like 8 feet?")

Share this post


Link to post
Magnusblitz said:

Haven't read all the replies in this thread so it might've been already answered, but in the Doom novels, the revenant (along with the mancubus and chaingunner) are attempts by the aliens to make fake humans. The nice thing about this is that it explains why the revenants are so tall (just picture the aliens saying "how tall are humans again? like 8 feet?")


I think I laughed harder than I should've after reading this.

P.S:

YEAH! The thread has been resurrected by an Archvile!

Spoiler

...As a Revenant!

Share this post


Link to post

I had no idea they did that.

Magnusblitz said:

Haven't read all the replies in this thread so it might've been already answered, but in the Doom novels, the revenant (along with the mancubus and chaingunner) are attempts by the aliens to make fake humans. The nice thing about this is that it explains why the revenants are so tall (just picture the aliens saying "how tall are humans again? like 8 feet?")

I'm dying!

Chezza said:

First time I saw this thread. Sounds fun but I'm totally late to the party. Now all but ridiculous theories have been said, I'm sure :(

My theory is a simple one which I'm sure has been said before:
The Revenant's armor is an experimental UAC weapon designed for Marines to wear in combat situations allowing them to shoot explosives and heavily suppress enemies while keeping both hands free to arm with ballistic weaponry. The auto-aiming rockets is to compensate for the Marine's inability to manually aim.

With the corruption of Hell into UAC's Base, the Demons chose to utilize these suits using the bodies of fallen marines. Hell's forces don't shy from using Human technology, like the enhancements of the Cyberdemon Limbs and robotic bodies of the Arachnotron.

This theory made sense.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't be so sure. Ever wonder how this one Doom Marine managed to survive demonic possession and even manage to get through hell? Because he's just that tough? I doubt he's the only marine in that base that was that tough and he certainly wasn't the only one with access to those kinds of weapons or military experience. Divine intervention, perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
MetroidJunkie said:

Don't be so sure. Ever wonder how this one Doom Marine managed to survive demonic possession and even manage to get through hell? Because he's just that tough? I doubt he's the only marine in that base that was that tough and he certainly wasn't the only one with access to those kinds of weapons or military experience. Divine intervention, perhaps?

All the dead marine bodies found in Phobos, Deimos and Hell are unpossessed, and IMO former humans are just UAC guys, pretty much like Doom 3.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going to guess that a Revenant is the skeletal remains of a former human, possibly eaten or the rest of its body dissolved or something. Given the actual height for the actor is actually moderately shorter than its sprite size, it seems likely that it was made that tall for scaling so they could get an acceptable amount of sprite detail. With a more modern source port, you can freely scale the sprites and I'm sure, if ID could do that, the Revenant would be more human sized.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×